Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Everything related to Drew Brees Pre-Signing Thread.

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by AlaskaSaints Or maybe he'll sign then tank; like every other overpaid quarterback in the league. Alaska Which ones? (excluding rookies)....

Like Tree16Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Originally Posted by AlaskaSaints View Post
Or maybe he'll sign then tank; like every other overpaid quarterback in the league.

Alaska
Which ones? (excluding rookies).
TheOak is offline  
Latest Blogs
MID TERM ELECTION Last Blog: 10-29-2014 By: teddybarexxx


2015 Saints Bye Week Draft Last Blog: 10-16-2014 By: hagan714


"IRONY" Last Blog: 10-01-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Old 06-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
100th Post
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 100
You guys make some very valid points. I don't see him as greedy. And new contract or not, there's no way to know if he'll be injured. Brees wants to retire a Saint, I'm sure. But when I speak of what he has done for us, you almost can't put money on that. Who are his equals? Brady, Peyton & Aaron. That's as close as you can get. The only shot we have outside of Brees would be Peyton.

So when you tell me, "what QB wouldn't want to play here?", I ask, "Who would you want?" sure other QBs may WANT to play for us, but NONE of them are Drew Brees. And this is just my opinion, but if he went to another team, he'd have more success without us than we would without him.

Chase Daniels reminds me more of Romo than Brees. And there are other servicable QBs out there, but how would we fare with Kyle Orton, Kevin Kolb, Colt McCoy, Tavaris Jackson, Matt Leinart, etc... Because that's whats out there if we lose Brees. And the draft doesn't hold can't miss prospects in the draft every year.
4thqtrsaint is offline  
Old 06-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,935
Originally Posted by 4thqtrsaint View Post
So when you tell me, "what QB wouldn't want to play here?", I ask, "Who would you want?" sure other QBs may WANT to play for us, but NONE of them are Drew Brees. And this is just my opinion, but if he went to another team, he'd have more success without us than we would without him.

Naturally it would be impossible to get an equal caliber QB as Brees at this moment, but I was referring more to the fact that it's not like the Saints have to overpay a player because that is the only way they could attract him. Sadly that has been the case for the most of the history of the Saints' franchise, but they've risen past that and now they are a desirable destination for free agent to go to instead of one leave as soon as they can.

That being said, as there really aren't that many viable QBs around to be had, I'd be wiling to take a closer look at McCoy for instance if the opportunity would present itself and indeed become necessary.


As for Brees, I can't stress enough that I think very highly of him and his abilities, but if you'd put Brees on a team with a (very) weak O-line which would require him to scramble out of the pocket while evading pass rushers - he'd hardly be as effective of a passer as he has been with the Saints and their solid (some say league best, i.e. Madden) O-line protecting him. We've all seen that, especially during some stretches of the 2010 season.

Also, as has been already discussed in other threads, a lot of the offense's success has to be appointed to SP and his role in building a system where players such as Brees are able to flourish and play to their potential. Too often we see great players under-perform because of the system they play in, only to become stars after they get a chance to play in a system which suits their particular playing style. I think this has been a key in Brees' magnificent comeback: the bond between him and SP, and how they seem to understand what the other person needs from the other in order for them to achieve all that can be achieved together.

So don't fool yourself into thinking that Brees would make the decision to leave to another team/system without a heavy heart, because what he and SP have is something that might not be replicable, as could be the general success.

"I don't think I'll be thinking at all. I think I'm just gonna go out there and play my balls out" - Martez Wilson | "I'm not bashing people, I'm bashing their opinions because in my opinion their opinion is wrong" - Danno
FinSaint is offline  
Old 06-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 2,208
Blog Entries: 2
Anyone who buys a BREES jersey at this point is a DAMM FOOO!

Alaska
AlaskaSaints is offline  
Old 06-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #15
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 11,207
Blog Entries: 5
Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
Drew has been on home town discount since 2009. 2006/2007/2008 were risk management for a QB coming off of shoulder surgery.. Since winning the Super Bowl, he has proven his shoulder is not an issue and been playing for less than 7.5m a year.

Drews previous contract:
2006: 1,900,000
2007: 2,800,000
2008: 4,800,000
2009: 4,487,500
2010: 6,489,000
2011: 7,393,500
Signing Bonus: $8 million
$20 million guaranteed
Yes, but that was HIS choice - to play for less - because we've tried to sign him and HE decided to wait.
saintfan is offline  
Old 06-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 1,509
what need to happen is sit the ENTIRE team down in a room with Drew in the center sitting on a throne. Ask the players who is willing to take pay cuts so Drew can have more money.
With the salary cap this is what it balls down too.
saintfan likes this.
Jamessr is offline  
Old 06-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #17
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Assumptions and paranoia do not mix well
TheOak is offline  
Old 06-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #18
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,216
Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
Naturally it would be impossible to get an equal caliber QB as Brees at this moment, but I was referring more to the fact that it's not like the Saints have to overpay a player because that is the only way they could attract him. Sadly that has been the case for the most of the history of the Saints' franchise, but they've risen past that and now they are a desirable destination for free agent to go to instead of one leave as soon as they can.

That being said, as there really aren't that many viable QBs around to be had, I'd be wiling to take a closer look at McCoy for instance if the opportunity would present itself and indeed become necessary.


As for Brees, I can't stress enough that I think very highly of him and his abilities, but if you'd put Brees on a team with a (very) weak O-line which would require him to scramble out of the pocket while evading pass rushers - he'd hardly be as effective of a passer as he has been with the Saints and their solid (some say league best, i.e. Madden) O-line protecting him. We've all seen that, especially during some stretches of the 2010 season.

Also, as has been already discussed in other threads, a lot of the offense's success has to be appointed to SP and his role in building a system where players such as Brees are able to flourish and play to their potential. Too often we see great players under-perform because of the system they play in, only to become stars after they get a chance to play in a system which suits their particular playing style. I think this has been a key in Brees' magnificent comeback: the bond between him and SP, and how they seem to understand what the other person needs from the other in order for them to achieve all that can be achieved together.

So don't fool yourself into thinking that Brees would make the decision to leave to another team/system without a heavy heart, because what he and SP have is something that might not be replicable, as could be the general success.
Without Brees New Orleans would not look like such a desirable location. Players want to play for a team that can win, and with Brees we have the best chance of winning and other players know that.
The Dude is offline  
Old 06-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #19
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,935
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Without Brees New Orleans would not look like such a desirable location. Players want to play for a team that can win, and with Brees we have the best chance of winning and other players know that.

Yes, but to say that the success of a franchise is entirely up to the performance of a single player is somewhat far-fetched or if it is actually accurate - the Saints have more important issues to deal with than re-signing Brees.
FinSaint is offline  
Old 06-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #20
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 2,732
Originally Posted by 4thqtrsaint View Post
You guys make some very valid points. I don't see him as greedy. And new contract or not, there's no way to know if he'll be injured. Brees wants to retire a Saint, I'm sure. But when I speak of what he has done for us, you almost can't put money on that. Who are his equals? Brady, Peyton & Aaron. That's as close as you can get. The only shot we have outside of Brees would be Peyton.

So when you tell me, "what QB wouldn't want to play here?", I ask, "Who would you want?" sure other QBs may WANT to play for us, but NONE of them are Drew Brees. And this is just my opinion, but if he went to another team, he'd have more success without us than we would without him.

Chase Daniels reminds me more of Romo than Brees. And there are other servicable QBs out there, but how would we fare with Kyle Orton, Kevin Kolb, Colt McCoy, Tavaris Jackson, Matt Leinart, etc... Because that's whats out there if we lose Brees. And the draft doesn't hold can't miss prospects in the draft every year.
Not saying I don't want Brees but if McCoy under Paytons tuturing might not be a bad thing. I don't think Daniels is the long time answer.
halloween 65 is online now  
Closed Thread

Tags
contract, drew brees, jimmy johns, number 9, saints, signing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/44676-everything-related-drew-brees-pre-signing-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Everything related to Drew Brees Pre-Signing Thread. This thread Refback 06-18-2012 07:04 AM 7


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts