New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com (http://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   Saints (http://blackandgold.com/saints/)
-   -   SportsNOLA.com Martez Wilson May 'End' Up In Perfect Spot On Saints Defense (http://blackandgold.com/saints/45055-martez-wilson-may-end-up-perfect-spot-saints-defense.html)

papz 07-02-2012 09:49 AM

Martez Wilson May 'End' Up In Perfect Spot On Saints Defense
 
1 Attachment(s)
NEW ORLEANS -- The Martez Wilson experiment, a.k.a. the conversion of New Orleans Saints' second-year pro from linebacker to defensive end this offseason, is heading to training camp.

And while the principle decision makers caution that the evaluation process is ongoing, Saints' acting head coach Joe Vitt and first-year defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo both give an enthusiastic two thumbs up.

"So far, so good with regards to how you judge his transition,'' Spagnuolo said at the conclusion of the team's offseason program in mid-June. "Any time you do something like this, the first thing you got to have is the player has to embrace the change, and he's been terrific. He has embraced it, he wants to do it and he's passionate about it.

"So what more can you ask for? ''

Read more.
Martez Wilson May 'End' Up In Perfect Spot On Saints Defense

Danno 07-02-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Training camp opens July 27.
My favorite part of the article.

Rugby Saint II 07-02-2012 01:17 PM

At least it's not a new position for him.

Danno 07-02-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugby Saint II (Post 415821)
At least it's not a new position for him.

True, and thats why that learning curve may not be as steep as your typical LB turned DE.

jcp026 07-02-2012 02:10 PM

This may be overly optimistic, but I'm hoping that with the right coaching Wilson can be our Aldon Smith.

Danno 07-02-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcp026 (Post 415836)
This may be overly optimistic, but I'm hoping that with the right coaching Wilson can be our Aldon Smith.

Smith
6 ft 4-1/4 in
263 lb
35⅜ in
4.74 s 40
1.66 s 10
2.70 s 20
4.50 s 20-ss
7.19 s 3-cone

Wilson
6 ft 3-3/4 in
250 lb
4.42 s 40 (Wow!!!)
1.56 s 10 (Wow!!!)
2.53 s 20 (Wow!!!)
4.28 20-ss (Wow!!!)
7.04 3-cone (Wow!!!)

Wilson's measurables are absolutely freakish. The only downside I see on paper is he's a bit lighter than Smith. He might have to add about 10 lb's on his frame to make the move permanently.

TheOak 07-02-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danno (Post 415843)
Smith
6 ft 4-1/4 in
263 lb
35⅜ in
4.74 s 40
1.66 s 10
2.70 s 20
4.50 s 20-ss
7.19 s 3-cone

Wilson
6 ft 3-3/4 in
250 lb
4.42 s 40 (Wow!!!)
1.56 s 10 (Wow!!!)
2.53 s 20 (Wow!!!)
4.28 20-ss (Wow!!!)
7.04 3-cone (Wow!!!)

Wilson's measurables are absolutely freakish. The only downside I see on paper is he's a bit lighter than Smith. He might have to add about 10 lb's on his frame to make the move permanently.

He is fast but is he "quick"?

If he is quick off the line I can see him eating a QB's lunch.

jcp026 07-02-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x626xBlack (Post 415846)
He is fast but is he "quick"?

If he is quick off the line I can see him eating a QB's lunch.

Martez Wilson shouldn't eat other people's lunch. He's a real d-bag.

Danno 07-02-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x626xBlack (Post 415846)
He is fast but is he "quick"?

If he is quick off the line I can see him eating a QB's lunch.


Look at that 10 yard split time. The dude is definitely quick.

TheOak 07-02-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcp026 (Post 415856)
Martez Wilson shouldn't eat other people's lunch. He's a real d-bag.

Que'? No hoblo...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com