Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Quarterback rankings: Eli Manning tops list heading into 2012

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by pumpkindriver I like Eli, and as an Ole Miss fan, I wanted him to do well in the NFL. He has done well, but I don't consider him to be an elite QB. There are 4 currently ...

Like Tree10Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #11
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,080
Blog Entries: 44
Originally Posted by pumpkindriver View Post
I like Eli, and as an Ole Miss fan, I wanted him to do well in the NFL. He has done well, but I don't consider him to be an elite QB. There are 4 currently active, Brees, Brady, Manning and Rogers. In whatever order you choose. After that you have the Very Good QBs, thats Eli, Roethlisberger, Stafford, Rivers, and maybe a couple others I"m leaving out. Stafford could become elite, but the others most likely won't. The 4 four Elites have records and at least one ring. The Very Good don't own many, if any records. So you can win the SB with a VG QB, but the rest of the team has to be on it.
Every team has a supporting cast, but Eli is always surrounded by a strong defense that puts the Giants in position to win games and sometimes championships.

Drew Brees has supporting cast of wide-outs, o-linemen etc, but our defense has been poor at best since the Superbowl season. That's what makes Drew an Elite QB, a whole squad of the team sucks, and Drew can still produce 10 wins.

That's the difference.
pumpkindriver, |Mitch| and sharke like this.
Halo is offline  
Latest Blogs
REFUND Last Blog: 12-07-2014 By: xan




Saints: A glimpse of the future Last Blog: 11-19-2014 By: lee909


Old 07-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #12
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Eli is there this year because he won the Super Bowl last year. 2012
Rogers was on top the year after he won the Super Bowl. 2011
Payton manning - 2010
Tom Brady - 2009
Payton Manning - 2008
Tom Brady-2007

It was manning Brady love for a while.
TheOak is offline  
Old 07-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
Deuce
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,881
Originally Posted by pumpkindriver View Post
He has done well, but I don't consider him to be an elite QB. There are 4 currently active, Brees, Brady, Manning and Rogers. .
He has more rings then all of the above except Brady(and SB MVP's)...but he beat him twice in the SB...so, I don't see how you can't put him at least in that group...someone who owns Brady at this point?
Saint_LB is offline  
Old 07-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Originally Posted by Saint_LB View Post
He has more rings then all of the above except Brady(and SB MVP's)...but he beat him twice in the SB...so, I don't see how you can't put him at least in that group...someone who owns Brady at this point?

To put Eli into the elite QB circle just because of rings means you have to also put Roethlisberger in that Elite circle and that is just not something I can do.


The argument that Super Bowl rings defines an elite QB means that Trent Dilfer, Jim McMahon,Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien and Jeff Hostetler > Marino, Kelly, Fouts, Moon, and Tarkenton....


Care to stand by that ?
TheOak is offline  
Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
Deuce
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,881
Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
To put Eli into the elite QB circle just because of rings means you have to also put Roethlisberger in that Elite circle and that is just not something I can do.


The argument that Super Bowl rings defines an elite QB means that Trent Dilfer, Jim McMahon,Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien and Jeff Hostetler > Marino, Kelly, Fouts, Moon, and Tarkenton....


Care to stand by that ?
Stand by what...those are your words, not mine. I am comparing Eli and his accomplishments to those guys listed above him in the post that I quoted. I do believe that he belongs in that group, and not just for SB wins. He carried the team last year when they were banged-up, and has records that point-out his ability to be clutch. When there is 2 minutes left and the game is on the line, I would prefer Eli in that situation to any of the others mentioned. IMO, that makes him elite.
Saint_LB is offline  
Old 07-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #16
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 1,739
It shouldn't be ignored that Eli has played his entire NFL career under Tom Coughlin, one of the most conservative coaches in the league.

In spite of that, Eli has surpassed 4,000 yards passing the last 3 seasons, with a 62.0 completion percentage. He throws some INT's and loses some fumbles - as does Drew Brees - but he's money in the clutch. If you're ignoring Eli because of his statistics, perhaps you should pay closer attention.
mutineer10 is offline  
Old 07-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #17
Retired
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,616
Originally Posted by mutineer10 View Post
It shouldn't be ignored that Eli has played his entire NFL career under Tom Coughlin, one of the most conservative coaches in the league.

In spite of that, Eli has surpassed 4,000 yards passing the last 3 seasons, with a 62.0 completion percentage. He throws some INT's and loses some fumbles - as does Drew Brees - but he's money in the clutch. If you're ignoring Eli because of his statistics, perhaps you should pay closer attention.
Bingo. If one doesn't consider Eli elite, he's certainly at least on the cusp in my opinion. He's grown a lot over the years and there's definitely a strong case for someone arguing that he has become one.
papz is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Land Mass between LA and AL
Posts: 3,790
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
ELi is still a joke to me. I could care less if he sits on three rings.
Agreed, he is certainly the luckiest QB in the league. He's like a lucky Romo.
TheOak likes this.
Mardigras9 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/45396-quarterback-rankings-eli-manning-tops-list-heading-into-2012-a.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Quarterback rankings: Eli Manning tops list heading into 2012 This thread Refback 07-07-2012 08:16 PM 3


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts