Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

9 A.M. Vilma Hearing

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by Beastmode My money is on Vilma not taking any deal. If it was about money he would have never attempted this in the first place. His odds of winning were slim to none. Add to that the ...

Like Tree77Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #161
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Alexandria, La
Posts: 7,036
Re: 9 A.M. Vilma Hearing

Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
My money is on Vilma not taking any deal. If it was about money he would have never attempted this in the first place. His odds of winning were slim to none. Add to that the cost of hiring a prize fighter lawyer. It never was about the money.
I don't know; if the NFL came with a 6-8 game suspension settlement, he'd have to consider it...
|Mitch| is online now  
Old 08-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #162
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 11,250
Blog Entries: 43
Re: 9 A.M. Vilma Hearing

Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
The writing is on the wall for the NFL to make this go away before Aug 30th or she WILL rule in Vilmas favor.
What Judge Berrigan will do is rule in favor of Vilma and maybe give him an injunction to allow him to play until the law case has played out in court.

Judge Berrigan will also decide whether the court accepts the case. If the court does not accept the case, there will be NO injunction for Vilma.

If the court accepts the case, she will likely (but not certainly) approve the restraining order which would allow Vilma to play and practice.

Acceptance of the case by the court may be devastating for the NFL, a PR nightmare at the least!


Immediately after the court accepts the case, the discovery process begins. This is when the NFL MUST show its evidence, and especially any evidence requested by the plaintiff (Vilma's team).

If evidence is non-existent, then the NFL's defense is woefully diminished, and could mean a quick, lopsided victory for Vilma.

BUT...

The NFL is clever... not SMART... they are clever.
The NFL (IMO) does NOT want this case to be accepted by the court. The NFL probably thinks this is a challenge and a gamble.
If the NFL continuously plays their bluff and the court DOES accepts the case, and the discovery process begins, the NFL WILL trump up any evidence possible, some of it will be close to a LIE, but they will throw everything they have or can make up at Vilma.

This is why I say the NFL is NOT SMART! They are dangerous enough to themselves to keep this going until August 30th for the end of the hearing. If they were SMART, they would try to openly make a settlement with Vilma and try to "make it right."

Like blackandgold.com on facebook follow us on Twitter
Halo is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #163
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bayou Bayfield CO
Posts: 2,838
Re: 9 A.M. Vilma Hearing

Or they make him an offer he can't refuse. Hope he gets the coaches included in it.
Seer1 is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #164
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 11,034
Blog Entries: 5
Re: 9 A.M. Vilma Hearing

Originally Posted by Seer1 View Post
Or they make him an offer he can't refuse. Hope he gets the coaches included in it.
I think there's only one offer Vilma can't refuse, and I don't think Roger has the humility in him to make it.
TXGSP, Beastmode and kcsaints like this.
saintfan is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #165
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,705
Re: 9 A.M. Vilma Hearing

I think the public sees Saints, bounty, Vilma. The man wants his name cleared. If he didn't do it there is no reason to take any deal. Fight to clear your name. If you lose you lose but the main thing I believe for Vilma is showing to the public he never put out a bounty and calling the NFL out on it. If he accepts a deal then so be it, just don't cry when your name is forever tagged to this thing without true resolve. I'd rather carry around I fought until the end than play a half a dozen more games.
kcsaints likes this.
Beastmode is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #166
100th Post
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 420
Re: 9 A.M. Vilma Hearing

I was away all day and had to miss this. Nice to have this thread here to help me catch up. It was almost tiring to read.

This whole thing is so ridiculous it is still hard to believe it ever really happened. I wish Vilma all the luck in the world with his fight.
onebyone is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #167
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Haven Ct
Posts: 18,224
Re: 9 A.M. Vilma Hearing

The judge said she would like to rule in Vima favor. She doesn't know if she could do it legally.
QBREES9 is offline  
Old 08-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #168
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 15,812
Re: 9 A.M. Vilma Hearing

Originally Posted by Halo View Post
What Judge Berrigan will do is rule in favor of Vilma and maybe give him an injunction to allow him to play until the law case has played out in court.

Judge Berrigan will also decide whether the court accepts the case. If the court does not accept the case, there will be NO injunction for Vilma.

If the court accepts the case, she will likely (but not certainly) approve the restraining order which would allow Vilma to play and practice.

Acceptance of the case by the court may be devastating for the NFL, a PR nightmare at the least!


Immediately after the court accepts the case, the discovery process begins. This is when the NFL MUST show its evidence, and especially any evidence requested by the plaintiff (Vilma's team).

If evidence is non-existent, then the NFL's defense is woefully diminished, and could mean a quick, lopsided victory for Vilma.

BUT...

The NFL is clever... not SMART... they are clever.
The NFL (IMO) does NOT want this case to be accepted by the court. The NFL probably thinks this is a challenge and a gamble.
If the NFL continuously plays their bluff and the court DOES accepts the case, and the discovery process begins, the NFL WILL trump up any evidence possible, some of it will be close to a LIE, but they will throw everything they have or can make up at Vilma.

This is why I say the NFL is NOT SMART! They are dangerous enough to themselves to keep this going until August 30th for the end of the hearing. If they were SMART, they would try to openly make a settlement with Vilma and try to "make it right."

Based on her comments and tone the court WILL accept the case... She is just waiting until after Aug 30....

Read back I think I remember he saying that there was proof that Vilma's career was irreparably damaged.


What bothers me deeply is that she sees pay for performance and BOUNTY as the same thing.

In her eyes Vilma is guilty but the way he was punished is wrong.
TheOak is offline  
Old 08-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #169
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,705
Re: 9 A.M. Vilma Hearing

Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
Based on her comments and tone the court WILL accept the case... She is just waiting until after Aug 30....

Read back I think I remember he saying that there was proof that Vilma's career was irreparably damaged.


What bothers me deeply is that she sees pay for performance and BOUNTY as the same thing.

In her eyes Vilma is guilty but the way he was punished is wrong.
That bothers me as well. She has a problem with a fundamental thing in football; you can hit someone or, you can use overwhelming force to hit someone with the intent to knock the wind out of them or rattle them, or whatever you want to call it. There is no measuring stick on the amount of force only where you can apply it. I remember she said that knocking the wind out of someone (cart off) what's the difference or something to that effect...not sure what's she's getting at?
Beastmode is offline  
Old 08-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #170
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 11,034
Blog Entries: 5
Re: 9 A.M. Vilma Hearing

Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
you can hit someone or, you can use overwhelming force to hit someone with the intent to knock the wind out of them or rattle them, or whatever you want to call it. There is no measuring stick on the amount of force only where you can apply it. I remember she said that knocking the wind out of someone (cart off) what's the difference or something to that effect...not sure what's she's getting at?
The thing is, Roger knows the difference. I'd bet my left nut on it. Roger knows, and yet he is willing to end this man's career only to save face. I hate that man with everything that I am.
saintfan is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/47830-9-m-vilma-hearing.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
9 A.M. Vilma Hearing This thread Refback 08-10-2012 07:46 AM 4


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts