Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Questions from texans vs saints game

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by Saint_LB ...and then people go on and on about the game. How can you do that? It didn't count. It wasn't being played the same way as a regular season game would be played. How can you ...

Like Tree6Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
Merces Letifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,392
Re: Questions from texans vs saints game

Originally Posted by Saint_LB View Post

...and then people go on and on about the game. How can you do that? It didn't count. It wasn't being played the same way as a regular season game would be played. How can you make any intelligent observations at all? You know that most teams keep it vanilla. Oh, boy!

/rant
It may not be a "real" game, it may not count in the standings, but still, I want to see tendencies. Especially this season, when there is a completely new defensive system. Watching these preseason games, I can see things that I have not seen in NO in a while, like controlled blitzes, players wrapping their arms around the opponent instead of launching shoulder first, CBs actually contesting balls from the WRs...

And when you think about it, would you want to go into the regular season with a new defensive scheme without trying it out first, being able to evaluate which players do better on the new scheme? Or would you want Spagnuolo just to guess who may or may not be a good fit on his scheme and go with that Week 1?

And how about the offense? Would you think it is enough for the offense to just practice against the same scheme for 1-2 months, and go straight from that into week 1?

Without preseason games, the Saints would not have Lance Moore, or PT, or Ivory, or De La Puente, or Abdul-Quddus, or Galette...
Saint_LB likes this.

La neta es chida, pero inalcanzable
Tobias-Reiper is offline  
Latest Blogs
REFUND Last Blog: 12-07-2014 By: xan




Saints: A glimpse of the future Last Blog: 11-19-2014 By: lee909


Old 08-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
Im BACK!!!!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Barrio, H-town
Posts: 4,907
Re: Questions from texans vs saints game

naaa, LB, you are free to tell it like you see it. I, of course, love preseason,
like women enjoy the chase. Its like singing Christmas songs before Christmas.
Saint_LB and The Dude like this.
skymike is offline  
Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 2,260
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Questions from texans vs saints game

Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
The Texans first drive right down our throat and the rest of the game are not that similar...

Turnovers were rampant... on both sides

To be honest ... at about 4 minutes into the game I looked at the screen and ask WTF is this? Then things settled down and looked a lot better.


Just so you dont choke if you are eating when you are watching, Shanle made a tackle for a loss... He actually looked like he was 6'9" 290 and ran a 3.5s 40 yd when he made that tackle.
AlaskaSaints spits coffee all over his computer... out his NOSE!

LOL

Alaska
AlaskaSaints is offline  
Old 08-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #14
A Cajun Transforming TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 2,307
Re: Questions from texans vs saints game

Originally Posted by skymike View Post
naaa, LB, you are free to tell it like you see it. I, of course, love preseason,
like women enjoy the chase. Its like singing Christmas songs before Christmas.
Then why didn't you go to the game????
Saint_LB likes this.
Budsdrinker is offline  
Old 08-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #15
A Cajun Transforming TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 2,307
Re: Questions from texans vs saints game

For the most part, the team looked good. 2 costly turnovers but the defense and ST got turnovers back plus a score. Missed assignments by the defense a few times but you did have 2 non starting LB's playing with Casillas playing the middle which is not his position. Oh and by the way the refs sucked again.
Budsdrinker is offline  
Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #16
Deuce
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,881
Re: Questions from texans vs saints game

Originally Posted by Tobias-Reiper View Post
It may not be a "real" game, it may not count in the standings, but still, I want to see tendencies. Especially this season, when there is a completely new defensive system. Watching these preseason games, I can see things that I have not seen in NO in a while, like controlled blitzes, players wrapping their arms around the opponent instead of launching shoulder first, CBs actually contesting balls from the WRs...

And when you think about it, would you want to go into the regular season with a new defensive scheme without trying it out first, being able to evaluate which players do better on the new scheme? Or would you want Spagnuolo just to guess who may or may not be a good fit on his scheme and go with that Week 1?

And how about the offense? Would you think it is enough for the offense to just practice against the same scheme for 1-2 months, and go straight from that into week 1?

Without preseason games, the Saints would not have Lance Moore, or PT, or Ivory, or De La Puente, or Abdul-Quddus, or Galette...
You know...I don't care how long they practice before the season starts. I don't care how many people they play, or scrimmage, before they start for real. The only thing I'm complaining about is having to sit down and watch a game on TV that doesn't count. They know I won't be able to resist watching, but with a different type of interest than if it were for real. I just wish I didn't have to agonize through a month of football that doesn't count and stop having to worry that somebody important is going to go down before they start doing it for real.
Tobias-Reiper likes this.

Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right!
Saint_LB is offline  
Old 08-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #17
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: in line with my ridiculous CLEAR PLASTIC BAG
Posts: 2,861
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Questions from texans vs saints game

You don't have to watch on TV if you don't want to. No one is forcing you, man.

I kind of dig that last preseason game, because it's like a window into a weird alternate universe where Drew Brees was never born and the Saints still suck and the team is still like a hapless comedy act. It brings back memories of when THAT'S what the Saints looked like for real, and keeps me humble. Also it's a huge amount of drama, to watch these young guys play their hearts out and struggle to make the team, with potentially so much future money and fame on the line for them, everything they've worked for and ever dreamed about. A lot of these guys just get one shot at their dreams, and that can be very real to watch.

The other thing that's nice about preseason is that they are good games to take young kids to. They get to see Drew Brees and get the vibe of a football game, see the team run out the tunnel and be introduced and warm up and stuff, but then when the kid gets tired they can go home to bed around halftime, and nobody cares about leaving early. One half with a 7 PM kickoff, it's like the perfect length for little kids. I got hooked on it by being taken to preseason games at Tulane Stadium as a little guy.
SaintsBro is offline  
Old 08-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #18
Merces Letifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,392
Re: Questions from texans vs saints game

Originally Posted by Saint_LB View Post
You know...I don't care how long they practice before the season starts. I don't care how many people they play, or scrimmage, before they start for real. The only thing I'm complaining about is having to sit down and watch a game on TV that doesn't count. They know I won't be able to resist watching, but with a different type of interest than if it were for real. I just wish I didn't have to agonize through a month of football that doesn't count and stop having to worry that somebody important is going to go down before they start doing it for real.
I know what you mean .
Tobias-Reiper is offline  
Old 08-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #19
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 11,732
Re: Questions from texans vs saints game

Originally Posted by darstep View Post
Not really playing full speed, full contact football until gameday seems to show,
especially at the crunch point. Other than that we looked good.
Once we settle into the season, week 3 or 4, we will be tough to deal with.
Once the defense gets it bearings, we are going to take names.
The problem is that if we start out losing a couple of close games because of our defense we might have a hard time fighting back without Sean Payton. I want to start out strong and build momentum.
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Old 08-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #20
Im BACK!!!!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Barrio, H-town
Posts: 4,907
Re: Questions from texans vs saints game

Originally Posted by Budsdrinker View Post
Then why didn't you go to the game????
budget dude, budget....
saving it for the regular season. The Texans game is always on every tv here.

See you at the Redskins game!
skymike is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts