New injured reserve rule hasn't be used yet by New Orleans Saints
The New Orleans Saints didn't designate any of their players placed on injured reserve to return this season using the new rule, General Manager Mickey Loomis said Saturday. That designation needed to be submitted on Friday night at 8 p.m. when the rest of the cuts were due to the league office.
So that means any player currently on injured reserve, such as wide receiver Nick Toon and cornerback Marquis Johnson, will miss the entire season.
The Saints will still have the option to designate one injured player to come back from IR during the season since the team hasn't used the exception on anyone yet. Here are the guidelines from the league office on the new IR rule:
- Only players with a "major injury" who are placed on Reserve/Injured after 3 p.m. central on Sept. 4, or thereafter during the season, will be eligible to be reactivated at a later time.
- A "major injury" is defined as an injury that renders the player unable to practice or play football for at least six weeks (42 calendar days) from the date of injury.
- Each team may reactivate only one player placed on Reserve/Injured after 3 p.m. central on Sept. 4. That player must be "designated for return" at the time the club places him on Reserve/Injured, and such designation shall appear on that day's Personnel Notice.
- Such player is eligible to return to practice if he has been on Reserve/Injured for at least six weeks from the date he is placed on Reserve. He is eligible to return to the Active List if he has been on Reserve/Injured for at least eight weeks from the date he is placed on Reserve.
- Since this rule was adopted after the cutdown to 75 players, for 2012 only, the NFL and NFLPA have agreed to a transition procedure that permits clubs to return to their 53-player active list one player placed on Reserve/Injured since the start of preseason training camp. This selection of that player must have been made no later than 8 p.m. on Aug. 31.
New injured reserve rule hasn't be used yet by New Orleans Saints - New Orleans Saints Football NFL News - NOLA.com
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.|
Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com