Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Marques Colston

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; He had a bad game. He didn't do so well against the Packers last year (though debatable if tonight was worse) and finished off great. (1000+ yds). It wasn't just Colston, I was screaming "wtf moore, you never drop balls!!!!!" ...

Like Tree29Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #41
100th Post
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 275
Re: Marques Colston

He had a bad game. He didn't do so well against the Packers last year (though debatable if tonight was worse) and finished off great. (1000+ yds). It wasn't just Colston, I was screaming "wtf moore, you never drop balls!!!!!" the whole first quarter or so. The fumble wasn't even his fault, that was good play on the back.
Halo likes this.
Cory9289 is offline  
Latest Blogs
2015 Saints Bye Week Draft Last Blog: 10-16-2014 By: hagan714


"IRONY" Last Blog: 10-01-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Sainity Zone 9-30-14 Hail Last Blog: 09-30-2014 By: xan


Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #42
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,934
Re: Marques Colston

Originally Posted by boonedocksaint View Post
yeah, but.....

where has colston been all camp and preseason? it doesnt seem to be just this game. i dont know if its a lack of conditioning or what, but, he certainly isn't getting open, either. its not just the dropped balls. kinda hard to catch the ball w/ a defender all over you like flies on....

Colston has never been a speedster who creates separation to the DBs, if that is who you think he is as a receiver, then I don't know who you've been watching all these years he's been with the Saints.

Where he shines is catching in traffic, much like a TE does, but he has a history of having games where nothing seems to latch onto his gloves, and this game just happened to be one of those.

Don't get me wrong, I was cursing his name all through the game - much like in last year's season kickoff against the Packers - but it was apparent from the first offensive play, where Brees threw an incomplete trying to target Colston, that while the throw was off, Colston only made a lackluster effort to reach the ball. From that early point on, it was apparent that he wasn't 100%, and that his leg (ankle or knee, can't remember which it was) injury was still bothering him.

He'll be much better next week, assuming he'll be healthier that is...

"I don't think I'll be thinking at all. I think I'm just gonna go out there and play my balls out" - Martez Wilson | "I'm not bashing people, I'm bashing their opinions because in my opinion their opinion is wrong" - Danno
FinSaint is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #43
100th Post
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 340
Re: Marques Colston

Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
Colston has never been a speedster who creates separation to the DBs, if that is who you think he is as a receiver, then I don't know who you've been watching all these years he's been with the Saints.

Where he shines is catching in traffic, much like a TE does, but he has a history of having games where nothing seems to latch onto his gloves, and this game just happened to be one of those.

Don't get me wrong, I was cursing his name all through the game - much like in last year's season kickoff against the Packers - but it was apparent from the first offensive play, where Brees threw an incomplete trying to target Colston, that while the throw was off, Colston only made a lackluster effort to reach the ball. From that early point on, it was apparent that he wasn't 100%, and that his leg (ankle or knee, can't remember which it was) injury was still bothering him.

He'll be much better next week, assuming he'll be healthier that is...
i know that finsaint. i never said anything about him being fast. he doesnt need to be fast when you can snag balls in traffic, over the middle like he normally can. thats what he does. he goes up and gets balls and lands on his back in the endzone. ive seen it many times. i LOVE the guy. never said i didnt. ive been a huge fan of his since '06. if you read my first post in this thread (ill save you the trouble, page 1), you'll see i said he wasnt catching the balls he NORMALLY catches.

that being said, getting open isnt all about being fast. its about running good routes, having good footwork, and especially in his case, using your body to create space.
boonedocksaint is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #44
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,934
Re: Marques Colston

Originally Posted by boonedocksaint View Post
i know that finsaint. i never said anything about him being fast. he doesnt need to be fast when you can snag balls in traffic, over the middle like he normally can. thats what he does. he goes up and gets balls and lands on his back in the endzone. ive seen it many times. i LOVE the guy. never said i didnt. ive been a huge fan of his since '06. if you read my first post in this thread (ill save you the trouble, page 1), you'll see i said he wasnt catching the balls he NORMALLY catches.

that being said, getting open isnt all about being fast. its about running good routes, having good footwork, and especially in his case, using your body to create space.

OK, it was the "lack of conditioning" part followed directly by the "isn't getting open" part that gave me that impression, but I stand corrected.

Colston has really good hands, and it's mainly his good catching ability and size along with Brees' ability to place the ball where Colston has the advantage over the DBs to catch it that have allowed him to become such a good WR. IMO, he doesn't run particularly good routes for a #1 WR and he doesn't have the speed to create separation through that way either. But he has those great hands...

Colston's catch rate was 75% last season and that's really good when compared to for example Calvin Johnson's 61% and Larry Fitzgerald's 52%. In fact, Colston's 75% catch rate was the best in the league among those who received more than 50 passes during the season. Percy Harvin had 72% for the second highest, and Lance Moore tied with Wes Welker and Jordy Nelson for the third best catch rate with 71%.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | WIDE RECEIVERS 2011


So, I wouldn't give up on him just yet, generally speaking.

"I don't think I'll be thinking at all. I think I'm just gonna go out there and play my balls out" - Martez Wilson | "I'm not bashing people, I'm bashing their opinions because in my opinion their opinion is wrong" - Danno
FinSaint is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 03:25 AM   #45
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,092
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Marques Colston

Originally Posted by Donuts32 View Post
SMH at this post. You make Colston sound like he's Reggie Bush. Colston always has one of those bad games once a year. He has been one the most consistent Wr's along with Lance Moore. If I remember he has converted the most 3rd downs of any WR in the league. Go back and watch games from last season and see how dude was money.
Colston ends up with a lot of first down catches because he plays in an offense that breaks records every year. It seems that he is either dropping passes, getting hurt, or fumbling all the time. I pull hard for Colston, because I have always thought this guy could break out and be great. He makes some great plays sometimes. But he drops routine passes way too often. I don't think he's awful, or that we should cut him, but I grow tired of his mental mistakes in crucial moments. And believe me, I remember the games quite well, but if you'd like me to dig up the stats I'd be happy to do so.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 05:29 AM   #46
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Watford England
Posts: 3,423
Bad day at the office.
No more no less
skymike and TheOak like this.
lee909 is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #47
Im BACK!!!!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: humble texas
Posts: 4,869
Re: Marques Colston

what is SMH? Ive had too much sex to know what this means.

Marques Colston is great, has been great, and will continue to be great. Marques, injured, had a rough day, but still caught some big passes. Drew sucked yesterday. Defense sucked yesterday. Zach Strief jumped twice. Lance Moore jumped & dropped pass. I believe Graham dropped one too. Ingram did little. Grubbs couldnt get his shoe tied. Sproles should have ran the last punt back to the left. Kromer (or Carmichael?) brought some weird
personnel groupings, and failed to use Courtney Roby. Joseph Morgan had a bad day. And guess what? We, the crowd sucked yesterday too. The Redskins fans easily bested us. Whats up with leaving early, when your
team isnt really out of it? This was your Big- Bad- We're- Mad- Homecoming? pffft. pitiful.

It was a team loss, and we're part of it. Lets do better next time.
jeanpierre and st thomas like this.
skymike is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #48
Retired
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,553
Re: Marques Colston

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
No; there was the occasional play like that now and then, but I find it's happening more frequently per game now...

And I'm not beating him down for the loss; it's an observation that is there...
No really, it's been like that for years. But that's what makes our offense what it is. We takes chances and for the most part, its worked out great. You can go back to the preseason games a year ago, I thought no way we'd have Colston to begin the year. The man has taken a lot of hard hits over the middle since he's been here.

They each had a bad game. We'll learn from this and be better next game out. I for one will not dwell on this.
papz is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #49
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orlando,FL
Posts: 1,369
Re: Marques Colston

I have seen Colston have a bad game before, wth I have seen Colston have more than 1 bad game. The offense will be fine...just give Drew time to throw O line
subguy is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #50
"Do Your Job!!"
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mid City, New Orleans
Posts: 1,767
Re: Marques Colston

Originally Posted by subguy View Post
I have seen Colston have a bad game before, wth I have seen Colston have more than 1 bad game. The offense will be fine...just give Drew time to throw O line
Yeah but...4 catch's out of 11 targets and tack on that fumble. I think he took bad to a different level today. I don't remember him playing this bad ever.
CharityMike is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/49839-marques-colston.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Marques Colston This thread Refback 09-09-2012 04:20 PM 4


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts