New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com (http://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   Saints (http://blackandgold.com/saints/)
-   -   Article: Carolina coach Rivera says still early to judge Saints defense (http://blackandgold.com/saints/50062-carolina-coach-rivera-says-still-early-judge-saints-defense.html)

SmashMouth 09-13-2012 07:09 AM

Carolina coach Rivera says still early to judge Saints defense
 
1 Attachment(s)
Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera might be a little biased, but he said
fans shouldn’t be down on the New Orleans Saints’ defense after their season-opening setback to the Washington Redskins.

Rivera, who worked with first-year Saints defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo in Philadelphia, said Wednesday it’s much too early to draw anything from their 40-32 loss to the Redskins.


http://media.nola.com/news_impact/ph...9698-large.jpg


“I worked with Steve Spagnuolo in Philadelphia. … I saw what he did in New York. I saw what he was trying to do in
St. Louis. He’s trying to do
the same thing in New Orleans,” Rivera said in a conference call with Louisiana reporters.

“The only thing I can say is that you have to be patient.”

The Saints had a rough start Sunday, giving up three touchdowns and four field goals on the Redskins’ first eight possessions.

Rivera pointed out that when Spagnuolo was with the New York Giants in 2007, people wanted him fired after three games. However, they went on to win Super Bowl XLII with Spagnuolo drawing up the defensive blueprint for a stunning 17-14 win over a potent New England Patriots’ offense.

“Everybody wants to jump to conclusions after one game,” Rivera said. “We’ve played one game this year, and the big thing is the proof’s going to be at the end of the year.

“My whole point is if we’re going to make judgments after the first game, a lot of crazy things happen.”

read more

|Mitch| 09-13-2012 08:28 AM

Re: Carolina coach Rivera says still early to judge Saints defense
 
Quote:

“Everybody wants to jump to conclusions after one game,” Rivera said
You don't say? He must have been reading this board...

TheOak 09-13-2012 09:03 AM

Re: Carolina coach Rivera says still early to judge Saints defense
 
Doom Despair and Agony on me

papz 09-13-2012 09:24 AM

Re: Carolina coach Rivera says still early to judge Saints defense
 
I concur with Rivera.

Remember how complex Spags scheme is suppose to be. It's not like Williams' system where everyone just blitzed. It going to take some time for them to gel and build chemistry. I hope people don't look at overall defensive rankings as the focal point in judging our defense as opposed to making the big stops in crucial moments when it's needed.

We score a lot of points and in turn, opposing teams are going to get a lot of possesions. People are going to score on us... I hope people realize that.

TheOak 09-13-2012 09:40 AM

Re: Carolina coach Rivera says still early to judge Saints defense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by papz (Post 438038)
I concur with Rivera.

Remember how complex Spags scheme is suppose to be. It's not like Williams' system where everyone just blitzed. It going to take some time for them to gel and build chemistry. I hope people don't look at overall defensive rankings as the focal point in judging our defense as opposed to making the big stops in crucial moments when it's needed.

We score a lot of points and in turn, opposing teams are going to get a lot of possesions. People are going to score on us... I hope people realize that.

Perfect point. One would need to look at a few things to get a feel.

Points Allowed against the Saints.
Points the Saints Score.

We are offensive heavy in the way our team is built. It is not built to stop the opponent, it is built to out score them.

dizzle88 09-13-2012 09:46 AM

Re: Carolina coach Rivera says still early to judge Saints defense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by x626xBlack (Post 438044)
Perfect point. One would need to look at a few things to get a feel.

Points Allowed against the Saints.
Points the Saints Score.

We are offensive heavy in the way our team is built. It is not built to stop the opponent, it is built to out score them.

Agreed, but we are long overdue for a defense that can be dominant, the texans have got it right and they lost some of their best defensive playmakers

The ravens and steelers have been dominant on D for over a decade, we only need ours to be half as decent

GeauxForMore 09-13-2012 10:05 AM

Re: Carolina coach Rivera says still early to judge Saints defense
 
I just want a defense that can stop people on 3rd and long and get off the field on 4th down...........

Rugby Saint II 09-14-2012 03:05 PM

Re: Carolina coach Rivera says still early to judge Saints defense
 
I want one play maker in the front four!

The Dude 09-14-2012 03:57 PM

Re: Carolina coach Rivera says still early to judge Saints defense
 
Please don't let me start liking this guy.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com