Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Mark Ingram's Woes

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by burningmetal He's a bust, period. Frankly, even if he were good it would still have been a bad pick based on needs. Wrong, based on needs he should have been our 1st pick over Jordan....

Like Tree21Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #21
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,605
Re: Mark Ingram's Woes

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
He's a bust, period. Frankly, even if he were good it would still have been a bad pick based on needs.
Wrong, based on needs he should have been our 1st pick over Jordan.
Danno is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #22
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,039
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Mark Ingram's Woes

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Wrong, based on needs he should have been our 1st pick over Jordan.
That's a blind statement. Do you remember how bad our defense was and still is? I didn't like the Jordan pick at all, but I definitely wanted defense. Getting an OT wouldn't have hurt my feelings either, but there really weren't any worth taking at that point, as I remember.
Rell&Gold likes this.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #23
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,039
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Mark Ingram's Woes

We ran out of backs at the end of the '10 season because of an unprecedented amount of injuries. Those guys were coming back. But even if they hadn't, remember this: we scored 36 points with no running game against Seattle and still LOST. And we all remember how bad the Seahawks were against everyone else that year.

We needed defense.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #24
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 1,420
Re: Mark Ingram's Woes

Damn right we needed defense. It was the right pick too... Cameron Jordan is our best D-Lineman now. I know, I know... that's not saying much lol.
Rell&Gold likes this.
ChrisXVI is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #25
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,605
Re: Mark Ingram's Woes

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
That's a blind statement. Do you remember how bad our defense was and still is? I didn't like the Jordan pick at all, but I definitely wanted defense. Getting an OT wouldn't have hurt my feelings either, but there really weren't any worth taking at that point, as I remember.
Do you remember the only RB who's NFL future wasn't in doubt was Reggie Bush? And it would have cost us 12 million to keep him? There were serious doubt as to whether PT and Ivory would ever play another down in the NFL.

Do you remember Julius Jones and DeShawn Wynn were our only RB's?

We drafted 6 players that year, all but Ingram were on the defensive side of the ball.

Over the last 4 seasons we've drafted 20 players, 12 were defense and 8 were offense.
Danno is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #26
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,039
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Mark Ingram's Woes

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Do you remember the only RB who's NFL future wasn't in doubt was Reggie Bush? And it would have cost us 12 million to keep him? There were serious doubt as to whether PT and Ivory would ever play another down in the NFL.

Do you remember Julius Jones and DeShawn Wynn were our only RB's?

We drafted 6 players that year, all but Ingram were on the defensive side of the ball.

Over the last 4 seasons we've drafted 20 players, 12 were defense and 8 were offense.
See my above post, first.

I'll add in response that there was never a question as whether any of those players careers were in doubt. It was how effective would they be when they recovered, and how long would it take them to recover. Yet, again, we still scored 36 points against Seattle.

The Saints have drafted a lot of low round defenders. I'm talking about first round. How many impact defenders have we drafted recently? I'll echo something that someone else in here said, and that is that we have gotten the majority of our offensive talent in late rounds or as rookie free agents. There was no reason to panic and draft Ingram.
Rell&Gold likes this.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #27
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,605
Re: Mark Ingram's Woes

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
See my above post, first.

I'll add in response that there was never a question as whether any of those players careers were in doubt. It was how effective would they be when they recovered, and how long would it take them to recover. Yet, again, we still scored 36 points against Seattle.

The Saints have drafted a lot of low round defenders. I'm talking about first round. How many impact defenders have we drafted recently? I'll echo something that someone else in here said, and that is that we have gotten the majority of our offensive talent in late rounds or as rookie free agents. There was no reason to panic and draft Ingram.
I don't think we've drafted any impact players on either side of the ball in the 1st round. What makes you think we would have drafted one with the Ingram pick? In fact, the closest we've come to an impact player in the 1st round was Reggie Bush, a running back.
Danno is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #28
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Austria, Europe
Posts: 239
Re: Mark Ingram's Woes

Gotta agree with Danno. At that time the Ingram pick made perfect sense! Right now I have to agree with the other board members that the playcalling is the main problem. You know a run up the middle is coming if he is on the field, so that needs to chance asap.
Jankman8 is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #29
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 1,420
Re: Mark Ingram's Woes

There was never any doubt that PT or Ivory would play another down in the NFL! I don't know where you get that at all. As far as never drafting an impact player in the first round, like I said: Cameron Jordan is doing a fantastic job as a run-stopping DE.
ChrisXVI is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #30
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Alexandria, La
Posts: 6,988
Re: Mark Ingram's Woes

Originally Posted by ChrisXVI View Post
There was never any doubt that PT or Ivory would play another down in the NFL!
Actually Pierre Thomas did have a significant knee injury and it was very unsure if he'd ever be 100% again, and Ivory gets himself injured quite easily with his running style...
|Mitch| is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/51017-mark-ingrams-woes.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Mark Ingram's Woes This thread Refback 09-27-2012 08:22 AM 5


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts