New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com (http://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   Saints (http://blackandgold.com/saints/)
-   -   Saints First Round Picks Since 2002 (http://blackandgold.com/saints/51627-saints-first-round-picks-since-2002-a.html)

jeanpierre 10-07-2012 01:35 AM

Saints First Round Picks Since 2002
 
Saints First Round Picks since Mickey Loomis became GM of the New Orleans Saints...

2002 13 Donté Stallworth Wide receiver Tennessee
2002 25 Charles Grant Defensive end Georgia
2003 6 John Sullivan Defensive tackle Georgia
2004 18 Will Smith Defensive end Ohio State
2005 13 Jammal Brown Offensive tackle Oklahoma
2006 2 Reggie Bush Running back Southern California
2007 27 Robert Meachem Wide receiver Tennessee
2008 7 Sedrick Ellis Defensive tackle Southern California
2009 14 Malcolm Jenkins Defensive back Ohio State
2010 32 Patrick Robinson Cornerback Florida State
2011 24 Cameron Jordan Defensive end California
2011 28 Mark Ingram, Jr. Running back Alabama **
2012 — No pick** — —

You can see why I don't show much love for the Saints Front Office and Scouting Department under Mickey Loomis tenure...

...Granted, the FO hit home runs with the hiring of Sean Payton and the signing of Drew Brees - hell, even Aaron Boone hit a home run that got alot of attention that still didn't make him a great player...

I would argue that Loomis and Co. have been more fortuitous in their free agent signings and mid-late round picks than competent...

The recent woes of the Saints could be tied to the ineptness of the FO/Scouting Departments to provide Coach Payton (currently in absentia) with quality stock at positions other than Guard and Running Back...

Only quality picks in the above group were Jammal Brown, who we got little in return for his value at the time of the trade and Reggie Bush who despite never living up to unreal expectations, were the only picks the Loomis Saints tenure have gotten right...

In addition, some of the FA contract extensions, or lack thereof, also demand closer scrutiny...

saintsfan1313 10-07-2012 02:03 AM

Re: Saints First Round Picks Since 2002
 
I understand the frustration with the talent in the 1st round, but the guys have been money in later rounds, which means better talent for less money, in the beginning anyway. Picking up undrafted guys as well. On the Offensive side of the ball, i rank them up there with the best, defense is another story.....

Marques Colston 7th round 2006 Greatest Pro Bowl Snub ever
Lance Moore undrafted
Jimmy Graham 3rd round 2010 Pro Bowl
Jahri Evans 4th round 2006 Pro Bowl
Carl Nicks 5th round 2008 Pro Bowl
Pierre Thomas undrafted
Jermon Bushrod 4th round 2007 Pro Bowl

burningmetal 10-07-2012 03:02 AM

Re: Saints First Round Picks Since 2002
 
Yeah these guys have had some great finds in later rounds. That is indisputable. Though they haven't had much luck most recently with that. But I do think that the front office is overrated. I think they're ok, and have done some great things, but they get too much credit. Bringing in Payton and Brees was brilliant, but those two have done the work since then. A lot of not so great players have been made to look like pro bowlers in this offense. Past Jimmy Graham and Sproles, I wouldn't say we have any legitimate stars around Drew. We have guys who are legitimate starters who fit well in the system, and then we have some guys like Henderson who basically just run down the field and don't have any specific skill set.

Defensively, I'd say Greer, Vilma, Sharper, Lofton and Hawthorne were good acquisitions. That's about it.

So all the genius talk is over the top in my opinion. They're good enough though. But it's very clear that Sean Payton means more to this team than we even thought. Pitiful that this team couldn't rally together.

halloween 65 10-07-2012 08:04 AM

Re: Saints First Round Picks Since 2002
 
Smith was really good until he slowed down, Jordan looks like a keeper, Meachum is still not bad , Brown was great until he got hurt, Grant was good until he ate his way out of football he got lazy, Bush was great as a decoy, all in all if I graded the FO I would give them a C+to a flat C.

jcp026 10-07-2012 08:50 AM

Re: Saints First Round Picks Since 2002
 
Stallworth = Awful
Grant = Awful
Sullivan = One of the worst picks ever.
Smith = Solid
Brown = Solid
Bush = Got a ring in N.O., but produces more in MIA
Meachem = Not great.
Ellis = Hasn't been great.
Jenkins, Robinson, Jordan, and Ingram = Jury is still out.

SaintsBro 10-07-2012 09:55 AM

Re: Saints First Round Picks Since 2002
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintsfan1313 (Post 446966)
the guys have been money in later rounds, which means better talent for less money

THIS. This times eleventy billion. People have no clue about the money side of things, they just like to go down the list pronouncing people "bust, bust, bust" in hindsight.

I'd rather have better talent for less money and have MORE talent on the team from that process, that are playing for DIRT CHEAP, than have 3-4 big name #1 picks gobbling up all the team's money, and making some dude on a message board happy, ANY DAY. Could some of the team's #1 picks produce better? Sure, they all could.

I love how the original poster says it's "fortuitiuos" whenever the Saints sign a free agent like Vilma, Sharper, Sproles, Brees, Greer, Shockey, Grubbs, or a guy like McCray who came in during the Super Bowl run, and I could name a lot more but I'll stop there. OH they get lucky, all these dudes they brought in, blind luck, again and again, time after time after time. Then the one guy that doesn't work out, it's ALL THEIR FAULT, let's grade this front office a C-, LOL.

I'm not even going to dignify this thread with an argument, debunking it point by point. I'm going over to the "Are We Spoiled As Fans?" thread and revising my opinion there. Spoiled like a bunch of whiny effing little brats in a Wonka chocolate factory....

Danno 10-07-2012 10:07 AM

Re: Saints First Round Picks Since 2002
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanpierre (Post 446965)
Saints First Round Picks since Mickey Loomis became GM of the New Orleans Saints...

2002 13 Donté Stallworth Wide receiver Tennessee
2002 25 Charles Grant Defensive end Georgia
2003 6 John Sullivan Defensive tackle Georgia
2004 18 Will Smith Defensive end Ohio State
2005 13 Jammal Brown Offensive tackle Oklahoma
2006 2 Reggie Bush Running back Southern California
2007 27 Robert Meachem Wide receiver Tennessee
2008 7 Sedrick Ellis Defensive tackle Southern California
2009 14 Malcolm Jenkins Defensive back Ohio State
2010 32 Patrick Robinson Cornerback Florida State
2011 24 Cameron Jordan Defensive end California
2011 28 Mark Ingram, Jr. Running back Alabama **
2012 — No pick** — —

You can see why I don't show much love for the Saints Front Office and Scouting Department under Mickey Loomis tenure...

...Granted, the FO hit home runs with the hiring of Sean Payton and the signing of Drew Brees - hell, even Aaron Boone hit a home run that got alot of attention that still didn't make him a great player...

I would argue that Loomis and Co. have been more fortuitous in their free agent signings and mid-late round picks than competent...

The recent woes of the Saints could be tied to the ineptness of the FO/Scouting Departments to provide Coach Payton (currently in absentia) with quality stock at positions other than Guard and Running Back...

Only quality picks in the above group were Jammal Brown, who we got little in return for his value at the time of the trade and Reggie Bush who despite never living up to unreal expectations, were the only picks the Loomis Saints tenure have gotten right...

In addition, some of the FA contract extensions, or lack thereof, also demand closer scrutiny...


Only 1 bust out of 12 picks? Thats outstanding.

Euphoria 10-07-2012 10:24 AM

Re: Saints First Round Picks Since 2002
 
Some people seem to forget that all they did was win us a Championship.

So I really don't care who they drafted.

This season is a wash... waiting for the return of Payton.

lumm0x 10-07-2012 10:57 AM

Re: Saints First Round Picks Since 2002
 
Show me a decade of any team's 1st round picks and I'll show you the same thing. Draft is a crap shoot. We are above many in drafting starters or at least roster players.

jeanpierre 10-07-2012 02:40 PM

Re: Saints First Round Picks Since 2002
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphoria (Post 446986)
Some people seem to forget that all they did was win us a Championship.

So I really don't care who they drafted.

This season is a wash... waiting for the return of Payton.

Make no mistake, Payton with his leadership and ingenuity won that championship.

His job would be alot easier with better players, and that's the argument...

Without Payton, this thing has deflated...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com