Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Does La. really like the Mannings?

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; I disagree that Bum was correct. If I recall Bum was run out of town like everyone else who ever coached their. If he was correct he would have at least made it to the NFC Championship without Manning....

Like Tree50Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 04:43 AM   #51
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 6,440
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Does La. really like the Mannings?

I disagree that Bum was correct.

If I recall Bum was run out of town like everyone else who ever coached their.

If he was correct he would have at least made it to the NFC Championship without Manning.
Saint_LB likes this.
Euphoria is offline  
Latest Blogs
2015 Saints Bye Week Draft Last Blog: 10-16-2014 By: hagan714


"IRONY" Last Blog: 10-01-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Sainity Zone 9-30-14 Hail Last Blog: 09-30-2014 By: xan


Old 10-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #52
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Originally Posted by Vrillon82 View Post
I imagine if this was 10-20 years ago, WWLTV and other media would try to hype them up as being some elite player like they use to do with other teams players, Pro or College, they did it with Jake Delhomme some years back because he was from Louisiana.

But in reality, no one cares for the Mannings, doubt anyone cares for Delhomme.

Its all media created, Media like WWLTV and WDSU back in the day is what put the Saints so far back from having a successful team because Benson and the FO kept listening to their suggestions, mostly Buddy D, once Buddy D croaked, the Saints started Winning.
It's not ALL media hype. It is somewhat media steered.

I'm from Abbeville/Lafayette, Jake went to USL the same time I did. It's a homeboy love. The day Jake signed with the Panthers a large % of people from the area became Panthers fans because they were homeboy fans, not Saints fans. There was a lot of hating of the Saints going on because the Saints "wouldn't give Jake a chance".

I'm a Saints fan, not a player fan. If Drew went to another team I wouldn't give two sh1tz about him. And no, I wouldn't view him as a traitor, he would just no longer be a Saint.

You are correct about the Saints hanging on to players because they were "their guy". Not because they were the best for the team.

If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Like and vote https://www.facebook.com/pages/Charl...44287815781246
TheOak is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #53
Im BACK!!!!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: humble texas
Posts: 4,869
Re: Does La. really like the Mannings?

Originally Posted by OldMaid View Post
... I think AM and DB are good ambassadors of N.O. , you know, helps put N.O. in a better light.
nice. Its good to have you on the B&G, Brina.
Saint_LB likes this.
skymike is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #54
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bayou Cane
Posts: 6,647
Blog Entries: 12
Re: Does La. really like the Mannings?

Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
...Bum Phillips was hired in 81 and decided that Manning was through in New Orleans, that Manning did not fit his plans. As much crap as Bum took for that decision, it was actually the correct decision. Manning was washed up, never won another game in the NFL, with both Houston and Minnesota.
Gotta take issue with that statement...

First problem was John Mecom, Jr - a spoiled, immature team owner who never showed responsibility in his life and nearly got Manning killed because of his limited vision at the box office and failure to invest in the team's success (surrounding Manning with talent) so that it could truly grow...

Second problem was Bum Phillips - who had no clue of what talent he had in Manning nor the insight to hire the staff around him to take advantage of what he had...
Saint_LB likes this.
jeanpierre is offline  
Old 10-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #55
500th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Killeen, Tx.
Posts: 882
Re: Does La. really like the Mannings?

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
The fact that they grew up in LA and never really considered LSU rubs me the wrong way. I do hate Ole Miss... And I have no idea how Peyton wound up at Tennessee. I find all three of the Manning QB's to be a group of stiffs. They lack personality, but are constantly on tv trying to manufacture some sort of image of being "humorous". And I agree with Black that Peyton and Eli tend to throw tantrums... Also, Eli sounds like a 5 year old.

Other than that, I'm a huge fan.
Let me take a minute to explain why the Manning sons never considered going to LSU. Archie went to Ole Miss. The entire state of Mississippi was nuts about him. He became a folk hero in our state. LSU is the biggest rival outside of the state for Ole Miss. So obviously Cooper, Peyton and Eli could not attend LSU.
Peyton ended up at Tennesee because OleMiss was under NCAA sanctions and Billy Brewer has just been fired. So Peyton couldn't go to Ole Miss and couldn't go to LSU, so Tennesee was where he ended up. Cutcliffe was Peyton's offensive coordinator so when he became the head coach at Ole Miss, this made it a lot more attractive to Eli so he followed in his father's footsteps and there at Ole Miss, Eli was king. So now I hope y'all understand why no one in the Manning family went to or played for LSU and why none of their future offspring ever will.
Saint_LB and Rugby Saint II like this.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” ― Patrick Henry
pumpkindriver is offline  
Old 10-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #56
500th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Killeen, Tx.
Posts: 882
Re: Does La. really like the Mannings?

Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Archie Manning got very little help during his beginning in New Orleans. Eventually, Hank Stram and Dick Nolan both pretty much understood that Manning is not a savior on his own, he needed help. Stram drafted Muncie and Galbreath and provided Manning with a lethal running game in 76, and in 78 Dick Nolan drafted Wes Chandler. By the time things turned OK, Manning in the 78 and 79 season put up his best numbers. Too bad the defense was so freaking horrible. Things were looking way up for Manning, then the team went through a horrible drug scandal and basically fell apart. 1980 was the 1-15 season and Buddy D invented the bags... Bum Phillips was hired in 81 and decided that Manning was through in New Orleans, that Manning did not fit his plans. As much crap as Bum took for that decision, it was actually the correct decision. Manning was washed up, never won another game in the NFL, with both Houston and Minnesota.
He never got much of a chance with those other teams, both of which were awful at the time, but as far as Him being washed up, just look at this at the 4:39 mark. There was plenty of gas in the tank.
Saint_LB likes this.
pumpkindriver is offline  
Old 10-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #57
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Richland, MS.
Posts: 1,823
Re: Does La. really like the Mannings?

That play was awesome and I have seen it many times before. Manning was traded in 1982 after the 1st game of the season. Go check out the game logs for every game he played in after leaving the Saints and come to your own conclusion. To me, he was washed. Matter of fact his play in 81 was a steep decline compared to the 80 season.
MatthewT is offline  
Old 10-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #58
Deuce
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,881
Re: Does La. really like the Mannings?

Originally Posted by pumpkindriver View Post
He never got much of a chance with those other teams, both of which were awful at the time, but as far as Him being washed up, just look at this at the 4:39 mark. There was plenty of gas in the tank.
Top 100 NFL Football Follies [7/7] - The Top Ten - YouTube
I didn't look, because I wanna guess first. I'm guessing it's the underhand toss to Renfro.
Saint_LB is offline  
Old 10-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #59
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Land Mass between LA and AL
Posts: 3,627
Re: Does La. really like the Mannings?

Archie was a Saint QB and that's the love for him. Peyton and Eli are sidebars, don't really care what they have done football wise. They love the city of New Orleans and that's good with me.
Mardigras9 is offline  
Old 10-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #60
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,262
Re: Does La. really like the Mannings?

Archie did a lot for the city on NO. Then he has his kids, one a very good WR, and two QB's. This city, and state went and watched them in high school and supported them through out their careers until they went to college. Not one of them went to a LA school.

Now when you hear them talk, it sounds like they don't want anyone to know they're from LA. It's like they wish they didn't come from here. It's like they disrespect the way of life and culture of NO, and then when we beat Payton for the Super Bowl, some of our overzealous fans kinda started going off about it and putting Payton down because of all the slights against LA, Archie got upset about it. Well, on one hand I can understand Archie being upset about the way people were talking about Payton, but if Archie had stepped in earlier and told both of his sons that their condescending tone and comments about LA were uncalled for that may not have happened. I mean, when Katrina hit it was like it was a pain in the arse for them to come back and make the gesture of helping out their home town and you could see in their faces they didn't want to do it and you could hear it in their voices too, so that is where all the hostility from the LA fans comes from. They brought it on themselves.
D_it_up likes this.
Marlboro Man is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/51793-does-la-really-like-mannings.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Does La. really like the Mannings? This thread Refback 10-10-2012 06:14 AM 4


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts