Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Goodell recuses himself from bounty appeal hearing

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by Jamessr Thats what I don't get. Well, SP allegedly lied to Roger, which hurt his feelings and that made SP deserving of a season-long suspension....

Like Tree37Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #41
Threaded by FinSaint
I donate wisdom
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,894

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

Originally Posted by Jamessr View Post
Thats what I don't get.

Well, SP allegedly lied to Roger, which hurt his feelings and that made SP deserving of a season-long suspension.
Views: 3498
Old 10-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #42
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,752
Re: Goodell recuses himself from bounty appeal hearing

Payton was suspended because there was a pay for performance program being run in the locker room, everyone admits that. The league told the Saints to stop it. Payton didn't stop it and told the investigators that he didn't know anything about it. The league provided an e-mail that was forwarded to him that said the sender would kick in to the pot.

So he's suspended for allowing the pay for performance program to continue and lying to investigators.

Whether Vilma, Fujita, Smith or Hargrove contributed money to or participated in the pool doesn't change what Sean's being punished for.

Now, that being said...an entire years suspension with the threat of more, is ridiculous when compared to a two game suspension for stomping on a player when he's laying on the playing field or using your helmet to try to remove the head of an opposing receiver or quarterback.
Utah_Saint is offline  
Old 10-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #43
Merces Letifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,288
Re: Goodell recuses himself from bounty appeal hearing

Originally Posted by Utah_Saint View Post
Payton was suspended because there was a pay for performance program being run in the locker room, everyone admits that. The league told the Saints to stop it. Payton didn't stop it and told the investigators that he didn't know anything about it. The league provided an e-mail that was forwarded to him that said the sender would kick in to the pot.

So he's suspended for allowing the pay for performance program to continue and lying to investigators.

Whether Vilma, Fujita, Smith or Hargrove contributed money to or participated in the pool doesn't change what Sean's being punished for.

Now, that being said...an entire years suspension with the threat of more, is ridiculous when compared to a two game suspension for stomping on a player when he's laying on the playing field or using your helmet to try to remove the head of an opposing receiver or quarterback.
I think you got the Payton situation wrong.

When I think back to March and the announcement of the suspensions, the reports that came out where that Payton was "suspended for his involvement in a pay-to-injure program". The NFL could not have suspended Payton for a pay for performance program, as at worst it constitutes a salary cap violation, outside Goodell's jurisdiction, not punishable by suspensions.

As to what Payton said or didn't say, no one really knows. The only thing we do know, is that Payton issued a statement saying that, being the HC, he takes responsibility for "whatever happened" (paraphrasing). It was the media that speculated Payton lied to Goodell, and that was why he was suspended. But we don't know what the NFL asked Payton anything, or what was asked, or what is it that Payton actually said.

As to the allegations that the NFL warned the Saints about anything, no one in the Saints organization has acknowledged that actual warnings occurred, or how they were given, or to whom.
Halo, Beastmode and Jamessr like this.

La neta es chida, pero inalcanzable
Tobias-Reiper is offline  
Old 10-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #44
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 10,972
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Goodell recuses himself from bounty appeal hearing

Roger said specifically he suspended Sean and Loomie for "not doing enough" to stop the program.

I don't recall ever reading anything that insinuated they were trying to manipulate the NFL and continue the program, and Roger never said anything of the sort. He said it was for "not doing enough". What's enough?
Halo likes this.
saintfan is offline  
Old 10-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #45
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,752
Re: Goodell recuses himself from bounty appeal hearing

Originally Posted by Tobias-Reiper View Post
I think you got the Payton situation wrong.

When I think back to March and the announcement of the suspensions, the reports that came out where that Payton was "suspended for his involvement in a pay-to-injure program". The NFL could not have suspended Payton for a pay for performance program, as at worst it constitutes a salary cap violation, outside Goodell's jurisdiction, not punishable by suspensions.

As to what Payton said or didn't say, no one really knows. The only thing we do know, is that Payton issued a statement saying that, being the HC, he takes responsibility for "whatever happened" (paraphrasing). It was the media that speculated Payton lied to Goodell, and that was why he was suspended. But we don't know what the NFL asked Payton anything, or what was asked, or what is it that Payton actually said.

As to the allegations that the NFL warned the Saints about anything, no one in the Saints organization has acknowledged that actual warnings occurred, or how they were given, or to whom.
You're right.

It was "pay for injure" I should've written it that way because to us they aren't the same but I don't think anyone else recognizes that difference. All that's important to anyone is that there was money being given out when a player got knocked out of a game. Whether it was a legal hit doesn't make a difference to anyone or whether "knock outs" and "cart offs" were just a tiny part of a much bigger pool doesn't change what people think. Heck the fact that nobody even got injured from it, doesn't seem to change anything.

I don't know who got warned or what their response was, or more to the point what the league claims happened, but the league suspended Payton, Vitt, and Loomis for lying and encouraging the assistant coaches to also lie when he told them to "make sure our ducks are in a row". And lying when he claimed he was unaware of a bounty program.

But my point was that Payton is being punished for something different than what they're trying to hang on Vilma therefore I don't think that the outcome in Vilma's case will have much of a bearing on Payton's punishment.
Utah_Saint is offline  
Old 10-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #46
Merces Letifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,288
Re: Goodell recuses himself from bounty appeal hearing

Originally Posted by Utah_Saint View Post
You're right.

It was "pay for injure" I should've written it that way because to us they aren't the same but I don't think anyone else recognizes that difference. All that's important to anyone is that there was money being given out when a player got knocked out of a game. Whether it was a legal hit doesn't make a difference to anyone or whether "knock outs" and "cart offs" were just a tiny part of a much bigger pool doesn't change what people think. Heck the fact that nobody even got injured from it, doesn't seem to change anything.

I don't know who got warned or what their response was, or more to the point what the league claims happened, but the league suspended Payton, Vitt, and Loomis for lying and encouraging the assistant coaches to also lie when he told them to "make sure our ducks are in a row". And lying when he claimed he was unaware of a bounty program.

But my point was that Payton is being punished for something different than what they're trying to hang on Vilma therefore I don't think that the outcome in Vilma's case will have much of a bearing on Payton's punishment.

That is what the media speculated. No one really knows what Payton's letter of suspension says, and I am assuming there has to be one.
Tobias-Reiper is offline  
Old 10-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #47
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,752
Re: Goodell recuses himself from bounty appeal hearing

Originally Posted by Tobias-Reiper View Post
That is what the media speculated. No one really knows what Payton's letter of suspension says, and I am assuming there has to be one.
I just noticed that. I was looking for a statement from Goodell listing the infractions that Payton was being punished for. There's a difference between Goodell's statement, which is very vague, and press stories about the bounty program. It reads as if Payton is being punished for the specifics pointed out in the bounty stories back in March. Goodell said...

"A combination of elements made this matter particularly unusual and egregious, When there is targeting of players for injury and cash rewards over a three-year period, the involvement of the coaching staff, and three years of denials and willful disrespect of the rules, a strong and lasting message must be sent that such conduct is totally unacceptable and has no place in the game."

but does not specify who did what and exactly what the suspensions are for.

In the Payton/Loomis statement accepting the blame they say...

"We acknowledge that the violations disclosed by the NFL during their investigation of our club happened under our watch. We take full responsibility.

This has brought undue hardship on Mr. Benson, who had nothing to do with this activity. He has been nothing but supportive and for that we both apologize to him.

These are serious violations and we understand the negative impact it has had on our game. Both of us have made it clear within our organization that this will never happen again, and make that same promise to the NFL and most importantly to all of our fans."

That's about as vague as they could possibly be and still issue a statement. They didn't confess to anything. They only acknowledge that the accusations had been made and recognize the hardships caused by those accusations.
Utah_Saint is offline  
Old 10-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #48
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,639
Re: Goodell recuses himself from bounty appeal hearing

What I kept thinking was what would happen come the SB if they didn' try to clean this thing up. I'm a mild mannered person but if I saw Roger on the otherside of the street I'd shout out some words to him for sure. It would be a nightmare for the NFL...the boos, the heckling...it would be impossible to hide it. The minute he stepped on the field it would not stop and it's not just because of the Saints either. He really needs to go away.
Beastmode is online now  
Old 10-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #49
100th Post
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 321
Re: Goodell recuses himself from bounty appeal hearing

Payton said he didn't lie and that's good enough for me. We all know Roger is a known liar. Just ask Jimmy Kennedy!
AsylumGuido likes this.
NonieT is offline  
Old 10-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #50
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 1,775
Re: Goodell recuses himself from bounty appeal hearing

Originally Posted by NonieT View Post
Payton said he didn't lie and that's good enough for me. We all know Roger is a known liar. Just ask Jimmy Kennedy!
And this is the truth!
Halo and SaintsBro like this.
AsylumGuido is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/52068-goodell-recuses-himself-bounty-appeal-hearing.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Goodell recuses himself from bounty appeal hearing This thread Refback 10-19-2012 02:00 PM 2


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts