Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal
View Poll Results: What Is/Are the Biggest Problems With the Saints' Defense?
Lack of Talent on Defensive Line 24 39.34%
Lack of Talent at Cornerback 5 8.20%
Lack of Talent at Safety 3 4.92%
Scheme, still need time to learn 16 26.23%
Commitment to 1st Rounders, FA Contracts, Need Young Guns to Play 3 4.92%
Lack of Running Game, Puts Defense on Field to Much 10 16.39%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Why Is the Defense So Bad?

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by FinSaint The surprise comes more from the warped perception one easily gets from reading posts here about how Harper can't cover anybody in the backfield, while in fact, Danno has posted stats in the past that show ...

Like Tree37Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #81
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bayou Cane
Posts: 6,709
Blog Entries: 12
Re: Why Is the Defense So Bad?

Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
The surprise comes more from the warped perception one easily gets from reading posts here about how Harper can't cover anybody in the backfield, while in fact, Danno has posted stats in the past that show that Harper is in fact quite good in coverage against opposing TEs.

I'm not saying that he has been a superstar in the backfield, just that I've been pleasantly surprised by him at times - but let down at other times.
And I've posted VIDEO links showing both Harper and Jenkins getting burned...
jeanpierre is offline  
Latest Blogs
MID TERM ELECTION Last Blog: 10-29-2014 By: teddybarexxx


2015 Saints Bye Week Draft Last Blog: 10-16-2014 By: hagan714


"IRONY" Last Blog: 10-01-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Old 11-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #82
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 16,531
Re: Why Is the Defense So Bad?

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
And I've posted VIDEO links showing both Harper and Jenkins getting burned...
Yeah, and Greer, Robinson, Porter never get burned?

Harper is a SS, not a CB.

You have an agenda. Every Harper mistake (and there are very few) you magnify, while ignoring the numerous mistakes everyone else makes on this defense. Its either an intentional effort to justify your weak criticisms or you simply don't know much about football.
Danno is online now  
Old 11-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #83
Pink Nightmare
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,891
Blog Entries: 7
Re: Why Is the Defense So Bad?

I don't really know why the defense sucks as bad as it does.

Spags' defense is either; it's just not working, too difficult for our players to pick up (Which means we have some dumb players) or that Spags simply isn't a good coach.

It could be the fact that they are on the field waayyyy too much. 3 and outs/quick scoring drives by the offense/I don't know. If these guys are on the field more than the offense, they are going to get gased and will be totally burned out by the 3rd quarter.

I think the coaching staff is putting too much on Drew and staying pass happy for the entire game. If you don't run the ball and control the clock some what; your chances of winning deminish.

All I can tell you is, is after watching them I want to vomit.

"We are number one. All others are number two, or lower."
-The Sphinx
http://blackandgold.com/groups/28-ou...tsman-s-corner
SapperSaint is offline  
Old 11-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #84
"Do Your Job!!"
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mid City, New Orleans
Posts: 1,767
Re: Why Is the Defense So Bad?

IMO Harper has made some improvements this year. I have never been high on him but I have noticed he has gotten better. Jenkins on the other hand needs to be kicked to the curb! He has not gotten any better. He is in the top 5 in the NFL in missed tackles.

IMO if you wanna bash a safety, you are bashing the wrong one this year.
CharityMike is offline  
Old 11-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #85
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: Why Is the Defense So Bad?

Lets be fair to all of the players... Who in the hell in our defensive backfield is worse or better than the others?

They all get burned, miss tackles, out of place, quit on plays.. There is no bright shiny star in the entire stable.... Which is why we are where we are.

Are we debating who is the sh1ttiest of the sh1ty?
SapperSaint and jeanpierre like this.
TheOak is offline  
Old 11-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #86
"Do Your Job!!"
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mid City, New Orleans
Posts: 1,767
Re: Why Is the Defense So Bad?

Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
Are we debating who is the sh1ttiest of the sh1ty?
TheOak likes this.
CharityMike is offline  
Old 11-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #87
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 11,207
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Why Is the Defense So Bad?

Is it bad because it sucks, or does it suck because it's bad?


jeanpierre and FinSaint like this.
saintfan is offline  
Old 11-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #88
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bayou Cane
Posts: 6,709
Blog Entries: 12
Re: Why Is the Defense So Bad?

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Yeah, and Greer, Robinson, Porter never get burned?

Harper is a SS, not a CB.

You have an agenda. Every Harper mistake (and there are very few) you magnify, while ignoring the numerous mistakes everyone else makes on this defense. Its either an intentional effort to justify your weak criticisms or you simply don't know much about football.
No Agenda. I'm watching the Saints @ Seahawks playoff game and that's not Roman Harper getting burned by their TE for multiple touchdowns?!?

The Saints @ Packers last season, I posted and noted the touchdowns scored on Harper...

And I've pointed out the poor production of the front four especially with the money and investment placed there?!?

When Sam Bradford can catch Roman Harper after Harper had a jump on him for what should have been a coast to coast touchdown, then Roman Harper, you, point of fact, suck; not to mention that video shows Harper had to suck down a bottle of O2...

I've posted the video of him getting run over in the Packers game, getting torched in games against Bears, Seahawks, etc and somehow, someway some people who think they know football still drink their own coolaid...

As topics of discussion come up, and criticism of the defense is discussed, Harper inability in coverage is a major liability which must be addressed along with the lack of a front four push, pi$$-poor wussy tackling from our linebackers, and turnstyle coverage in the secondary...

If I'm less critical of the younger players, it's because I allow a couple of years of development which the discussed Drew Brees Window of opportunity doesn't allow...

Roman Harper has made the case for his suckage week after weak week; it's no agenda, it's his suckage...

Again, video evidence, multiple, multiple times has been shown on multiple threads and still some drink Harper's coolaid...

The only disappointment I've ever found with B&G is some users' inability to discuss passionately without making the discussion personal; I try to decline that course as those people may not have had a decent upbringing...

Oh, and have a nice day

“Your best?!? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home (with) the prom queen.” - Sean Connery in The Rock

Last edited by jeanpierre; 11-01-2012 at 08:28 PM..
jeanpierre is offline  
Old 11-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #89
"Do Your Job!!"
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mid City, New Orleans
Posts: 1,767
Re: Why Is the Defense So Bad?

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
No Agenda. I'm watching the Saints @ Seahawks playoff game and that's not Roman Harper getting burned by their TE for multiple touchdowns?!?

The Saints @ Packers last season, I posted and noted the touchdowns scored on Harper...

And I've pointed out the poor production of the front four especially with the money and investment placed there?!?

When Sam Bradford can catch Roman Harper after Harper had a jump on him for what should have been a coast to coast touchdown, then Roman Harper, you, point of fact, suck; not to mention that video shows Harper had to suck down a bottle of O2...

I've posted the video of him getting run over in the Packers game, getting torched in games against Bears, Seahawks, etc and somehow, someway some people who think they know football still drink their own coolaid...

As topics of discussion come up, and criticism of the defense is discussed, Harper inability in coverage is a major liability which must be addressed along with the lack of a front four push, pi$$-poor wussy tackling from our linebackers, and turnstyle coverage in the secondary...

If I'm less critical of the younger players, it's because I allow a couple of years of development which the discussed Drew Brees Window of opportunity doesn't allow...

Roman Harper has made the case for his suckage week after weak week; it's no agenda, it's his suckage...

Again, video evidence, multiple, multiple times has been shown on multiple threads and still some drink Harper's coolaid...

The only disappointment I've ever found with B&G is some users' inability to discuss passionately without making the discussion personal; I try to decline that course as those people may not have had a decent upbringing...

Oh, and have a nice day

You do realize we are in 2012 right? Why are you basing your argument on just prior years and not even taking into consideration this year? Everything you have said so far has been about past seasons.

Has he been terrible in coverage in the past? Absolutely!! But I also believe that had a lot to do with GW.

The point is, THIS year he has improved. His mistakes are not as glaring as another safety on this team. Why are you neglecting to say anything about Jenkins? He is this years version of your past version of Harper.

The topic of the thread is "Why is this defense so bad". So by your logic, it's so bad because Harper sucked in coverage in 2010 and 2011?? C'mon man.
CharityMike is offline  
Old 11-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #90
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bayou Cane
Posts: 6,709
Blog Entries: 12
Re: Why Is the Defense So Bad?

Originally Posted by CharityMike View Post
You do realize we are in 2012 right? Why are you basing your argument on just prior years and not even taking into consideration this year? Everything you have said so far has been about past seasons.

Has he been terrible in coverage in the past? Absolutely!! But I also believe that had a lot to do with GW.

The point is, THIS year he has improved. His mistakes are not as glaring as another safety on this team. Why are you neglecting to say anything about Jenkins? He is this years version of your past version of Harper.

The topic of the thread is "Why is this defense so bad". So by your logic, it's so bad because Harper sucked in coverage in 2010 and 2011?? C'mon man.
Harper is the most glaring weakness for opposing offenses...

Now, in regards to Jenkins, let me say that you'll find I'm on the record here as saying...

I don't like drafting Ohio State Players with the exception of certain linebackers...

He is misassigned at Free Safety and is overwhelmed, despite a Wonderlic of 23 which is actuallly pretty good for a safety...

He has not played as long as Harper, therefore, he hasn't had as many opportunities to be toasted as Harper has, so there have been fewer posts...

And I would continue to say, that the Safety Play for the Saints has been historically embarrassing these past two-three seasons...

That said, I would offer this solution...

If we are to salvage what we have, move to Jenkins to Strong Safety where he would be better suited as a complimentary player allowed to come up and make plays with his size...

The money that is being overspent on Harper would be used for a quality impact free agent, preferably on the defensive line or free safety...

Either way this defense, despite what I'm sure is Spagnulo's best effort, is not improving...

“Your best?!? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home (with) the prom queen.” - Sean Connery in The Rock
jeanpierre is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/52213-why-defense-so-bad.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest Tom Johnson News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 11-12-2012 07:23 PM 1
Why Is the Defense So Bad? This thread Refback 10-23-2012 07:40 PM 4


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts