Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Resign please spags

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; There is no way to blame just spags. But he is without question a big part of the blame. We clearly have no personnel to match his system, but he needs to be flexible enough to see that fact and ...

Like Tree52Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,030
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Resign please spags

There is no way to blame just spags. But he is without question a big part of the blame. We clearly have no personnel to match his system, but he needs to be flexible enough to see that fact and adjust. There's no way to make this unit good, with the players we have, but it could be at least a little better. I hated GW's scheme, it was too risky and more often than not didn't pay off. But at this point, I'll take getting burned often over getting burned on almost every single play. In other words... BLITZ!! And keep blitzing, no matter what, because eventually you're bound to get there, and it may just cause a turnover. This four man rush is useless.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 10-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #12
500th Post
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 789
Re: Resign please spags

I dont blame Spags for the Defense.

I blame the guys we got on Defense because only about 2 or 3 of them truly can understand a scheme.

You wonder why Gregg Williams blitzed so much and kept things simple?

You seeing it, most of the defense needs Gutted.
QBREES9 and NuNu318 like this.
Vrillon82 is offline  
Old 10-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #13
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 2,853
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Resign please spags

I've been preaching this all year, Manning didn't even have to get fancy with his audibles tonight. They just ran the damn ball down our throats. If a freakin NFL defensive coordinator cannot even adjust to the run game and figure out a way to stop a simple draw, then he needs to coach pop warner. I'll never give up on this team, I've been there with the good and the bad but this is very bad.

What really upsets me is in the past when we had bad seasons, we usually had no talent. That's not the case with this team, we have all the talent in the world with no
one to coach them properly.

SUPER BOWL CHAMPS 2009 :)
B_Dub_Saint is offline  
Old 10-29-2012, 01:19 AM   #14
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 2,853
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Resign please spags

Originally Posted by Vrillon82 View Post
I dont blame Spags for the Defense.

I blame the guys we got on Defense because only about 2 or 3 of them truly can understand a scheme.

You wonder why Gregg Williams blitzed so much and kept things simple?

You seeing it, most of the defense needs Gutted.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Greg Williams defense was way more complex than what we are running now. GW had about 20 different looks a game, all Spags does is run 2 deep zone and every QB in the league slices us up and every RB gashes us. A zone defense is a very simple defense that you learn in middle school. JMO
Nemesis and blackangold like this.
B_Dub_Saint is offline  
Old 10-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #15
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 1,448
Re: Resign please spags

Even if the defense held one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game it wouldn't of mattered. They had stopped our offense anyway. Total team effort by Denver and not us. At this point yeah I don't think a wildcard place is going to happen. Just as well let Sprags have the rest of the season to get the defense going.!
Jamessr is offline  
Old 10-29-2012, 06:27 AM   #16
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: in line with my ridiculous CLEAR PLASTIC BAG
Posts: 2,606
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Resign please spags

Originally Posted by B_Dub_Saint View Post
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Greg Williams defense was way more complex than what we are running now. GW had about 20 different looks a game, all Spags does is run 2 deep zone and every QB in the league slices us up and every RB gashes us. A zone defense is a very simple defense that you learn in middle school. JMO
I know. With Gregg Williams you would have guys moving around, changing position, feigning the blitz, lining up in different positions on different plays, moving around, jumping in and out -- a ton of different looks. Sharper would crouch down like a bird and just tiptoe, walk around back there, creeping, so the QB sees that and goes uh-oh, WTF is he gonna do....This defense all just seems very vanilla, even to somebody with a less than trained eye for defense, it's like they just line up and that's it -- nothing to disguise or confuse or make the other team guess or worry. There's nothing threatening about it at all. Which is why teams march down the field so effortlessly against it.
dizzle88 likes this.
SaintsBro is offline  
Old 10-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #17
Got a problem?
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,402
Re: Resign please spags

Obviously I'm going to be in minority here, but I still believe that Spags will be a very good hire. I'm giving him until at least the end of year 2. I'm not where close to jumping the gun after half a season.
papz is offline  
Old 10-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #18
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 3,880
Re: Resign please spags

Originally Posted by SaintsBro View Post
I know. With Gregg Williams you would have guys moving around, changing position, feigning the blitz, lining up in different positions on different plays, moving around, jumping in and out -- a ton of different looks. Sharper would crouch down like a bird and just tiptoe, walk around back there, creeping, so the QB sees that and goes uh-oh, WTF is he gonna do....This defense all just seems very vanilla, even to somebody with a less than trained eye for defense, it's like they just line up and that's it -- nothing to disguise or confuse or make the other team guess or worry. There's nothing threatening about it at all. Which is why teams march down the field so effortlessly against it.
And those bits i highlighted in bold, were the key to our superbowl win vs manning

Peyton got comfortable and all of a sudden, we gave him one look so had a play designed for it, and then we'd completely change it before the ball was snapped

Go watch the superbowl highlights, our defense confused the hell out of manning with multiple audibles

spags just let them line up and manning just thought "well pat robinson is there weak link, i'm going to abuse him all day" and he did just that

would we even get anything in a trade for robinson now everyone has seen he's just jason david in disguise?

"Ryan......INTERCEPTED....going back the other way with Jabari Greer......TOUCHDOWN....KILLER TOUCHDOWN for the saints!!!"
dizzle88 is offline  
Old 10-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #19
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: "Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice"
Posts: 4,298
Blog Entries: 15
Re: Resign please spags

Originally Posted by papz View Post
Obviously I'm going to be in minority here, but I still believe that Spags will be a very good hire. I'm giving him until at least the end of year 2. I'm not where close to jumping the gun after half a season.
I didn't watch the game as I was at Game 4 of the World Series watching the SF Giants give my Tigers the broom in our own backyard, thank-you very much, , but I saw some of the lowlites of the Saints/Broncos game later on.

I agree, in a situation like this you have to withhold judgement on Spags at least until he's had some time with the Saints coaching staff fully intact. It sucks, and it's supposed to suck, and it makes me hate Goodell and the NFL just that much more ... you circle the wagons, you take the pain, you live to fight another day.

Resiliency.

... this space intentionally left blank ...
SloMotion is offline  
Old 10-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #20
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,317
Blog Entries: 4
Re: Resign please spags

Originally Posted by papz View Post
Obviously I'm going to be in minority here, but I still believe that Spags will be a very good hire. I'm giving him until at least the end of year 2. I'm not where close to jumping the gun after half a season.
I agree. This defense was bad before Spags got here.

I'm not going to blame this entirely on him because he isn't blowing coverages, missing tackles and getting pushed around every week.
papz, Ashley, st thomas and 1 others like this.

Last edited by saintsfan1976; 10-29-2012 at 07:19 AM..
saintsfan1976 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/52386-resign-please-spags.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Resign please spags This thread Refback 10-28-2012 10:39 PM 6


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts