Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Our CB's

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; I'm further questioning whether it wasn't the scheme that was the problem. Under Gregg Williams, we blitzed heavily and relied on our DB's to play mostly man coverage. Under Spagnuolo, we were more of a zone team. And considering PRob ...

Like Tree31Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
100th Post
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 108
Re: Our CB's

I'm further questioning whether it wasn't the scheme that was the problem. Under Gregg Williams, we blitzed heavily and relied on our DB's to play mostly man coverage. Under Spagnuolo, we were more of a zone team. And considering PRob had a better 2011, in terms of QB's passing against him, opposed to 2012, I'm leaning more towards it being scheme based.

On another note, yes, a pass rush would surely help our DB's out. Martez Wilson is built for a 3-4 scheme, and it we do bring in Anthony Spencer or draft Dion Jordan or a rush LB in the first round, we should be improving our pass rush significantly.
Danno likes this.
jjasso007 is offline  
Old 02-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,632
Re: Our CB's

Originally Posted by jjasso007 View Post
I'm further questioning whether it wasn't the scheme that was the problem. Under Gregg Williams, we blitzed heavily and relied on our DB's to play mostly man coverage. Under Spagnuolo, we were more of a zone team. And considering PRob had a better 2011, in terms of QB's passing against him, opposed to 2012, I'm leaning more towards it being scheme based.

On another note, yes, a pass rush would surely help our DB's out. Martez Wilson is built for a 3-4 scheme, and it we do bring in Anthony Spencer or draft Dion Jordan or a rush LB in the first round, we should be improving our pass rush significantly.
Agreed. I think our CB's are much better suited for man coverage, but either scheme will get roasted without a pass rush. We haven't had a good pass rush team in years.

In my opinion thats why its foolish to judge how good or bad DB's are if your pass rush (and LB's) absolutely sucks.
aquaboogie likes this.
Danno is online now  
Old 02-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
100th Post
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 108
Re: Our CB's

Originally Posted by hagan714 View Post
last year i was shocked by the white pick in the draft. now i really like the kid and see a bright future for him. sure coverage skills need development but that was to be expected coming from a small school.

What i like is he is not afraid to tackle. he sticks the ball carrier. thats what we need more of. enough of these fineness players.

Saints need to get bigger and nastier.
I like Corey White, he puts his nose in there and gives maximum effort. But he was pretty much pwned last year by opposing QB's.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...d-cornerbacks/

As of this article's posting, he was targeted 33 times, giving up 26 completions (78.8%), 372 yards and # TD's. I believe he got hurt a couple games after this was published, so it'd be interesting to know how he faired in the games prior to injury. But he was a rookie and learning the NFL game. I'm excited to see how he progresses.
jjasso007 is offline  
Old 02-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 1,652
Re: Our CB's

Its foolish to think this guy can play corner. He wouldn't see the field on most other NFL defensive rosters.
K Major is offline  
Old 02-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
100th Post
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 108
Re: Our CB's

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
And he was progressing quite nicely until we switched to zone. He looked on pace to surpass Greer.
Yeah, our DB's aren't meant for zone play. They do better in man-to-man coverage.
jjasso007 is offline  
Old 02-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,632
Re: Our CB's

Originally Posted by jjasso007 View Post
I like Corey White, he puts his nose in there and gives maximum effort. But he was pretty much pwned last year by opposing QB's.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...d-cornerbacks/

As of this article's posting, he was targeted 33 times, giving up 26 completions (78.8%), 372 yards and # TD's. I believe he got hurt a couple games after this was published, so it'd be interesting to know how he faired in the games prior to injury. But he was a rookie and learning the NFL game. I'm excited to see how he progresses.

Me too. In a perfect world White would have seen the field only in dime situations and occasional spot duty while he progressed.

Injuries forced him into a starting role from day 1.

He was a raw small school rookie thrown into the fire much sooner than he ever should have been.

I think we'll see huge improvement from the guy in 2013.

BTW: Welcome aboard.
Rell&Gold likes this.
Danno is online now  
Old 02-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #17
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,632
Re: Our CB's

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
Its foolish to think this guy can play corner. He wouldn't see the field on most other NFL defensive rosters.
Neither would 90% of all raw small school rookie CB's.

It would be much more foolish to suggest that its foolish to think he can play CB.

He was progessing nicely (even for a raw rookie) before he got hurt.
Danno is online now  
Old 02-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bayou Bayfield CO
Posts: 2,841
Re: Our CB's

Deion couldn't hit either. The only thing that made PRob look good at all was Jenkins running in from wherever he happened to be scratching himself in yet another of Spags' schemeless packages and making the tackle.
Seer1 is offline  
Old 02-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #19
100th Post
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 108
Re: Our CB's

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Me too. In a perfect world White would have seen the field only in dime situations and occasional spot duty while he progressed.

Injuries forced him into a starting role from day 1.

He was a raw small school rookie thrown into the fire much sooner than he ever should have been.

I think we'll see huge improvement from the guy in 2013.

BTW: Welcome aboard.
One thing I really like about White is, he is from a small school program but has a big chip on his shoulder and wants to be good. He's here to put in work and be the best football player he can be. Have to respect a man like that.

BTW, thanks for the welcome!
jjasso007 is offline  
Old 02-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,632
Re: Our CB's

Originally Posted by jjasso007 View Post
One thing I really like about White is, he is from a small school program but has a big chip on his shoulder and wants to be good. He's here to put in work and be the best football player he can be. Have to respect a man like that.

BTW, thanks for the welcome!
Gotta ask,
where did jjasso007 come from and what does it mean?
Danno is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/55386-our-cbs.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest DeAngelo Hall News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 02-11-2013 01:25 PM 1
The Latest Patrick Robinson News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 02-10-2013 12:27 AM 2
Our CB's This thread Refback 02-08-2013 06:33 PM 7
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 02-08-2013 06:23 PM 5


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts