Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Benson makes Forbes billionaire list with $1.2 billion fortune

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by Beastmode Hornets Tax break: Rep. Sam Jones, D-Franklin: "We are going to give the wealthiest man in this state another $36 million? ... What's wrong with this picture?" Apparently nothing because we gave it to him. Thats ...

Like Tree15Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,620
Re: Benson makes Forbes billionaire list with $1.2 billion fortune

Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
Hornets Tax break:

Rep. Sam Jones, D-Franklin: "We are going to give the wealthiest man in this state another $36 million? ... What's wrong with this picture?"

Apparently nothing because we gave it to him.
Thats not a Benson problem, thats a Government problem.

And most jealous wealth bashers never consider...

How much revenue will be created because of the Pelicans?
How many jobs will they bring to the area?
How much tax revenue will they receive from the jobs created by the Hornets/Pelicans?
How much tax revenue would be lost if they had moved somewhere else?
How many jobs would be lost if they'd left?
How many Companies and wealthy families would like to relocate to this area because of the increased quality of life that these types of entities bring to the table?
lynwood likes this.
Danno is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
Captain Swag
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Orleans/Atlanta
Posts: 181
Re: Benson makes Forbes billionaire list with $1.2 billion fortune

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Thats not a Benson problem, thats a Government problem.

And most jealous wealth bashers never consider...

How much revenue will be created because of the Pelicans?
How many jobs will they bring to the area?
How much tax revenue will they receive from the jobs created by the Hornets/Pelicans?
How much tax revenue would be lost if they had moved somewhere else?
How many jobs would be lost if they'd left?
How many Companies and wealthy families would like to relocate to this area because of the increased quality of life that these types of entities bring to the table?
AMEN
NinthWardJay is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 11,217
Re: Benson makes Forbes billionaire list with $1.2 billion fortune

Does anybody else remember how Benson used to run his business with a used car mentality.?
He used to draft players and when they got value he sold them. To me at the time he wasn't investing in the team he was trying to profit from them.

Thank Goodness that we didn't end in San Antonio. It was right after that that he changed his business model.....personally, I think Rita came in the picture about that time and was influential in the changes.
jeanpierre likes this.
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,705
Re: Benson makes Forbes billionaire list with $1.2 billion fortune

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Thats not a Benson problem, thats a Government problem.

And most jealous wealth bashers never consider...

How much revenue will be created because of the Pelicans?
How many jobs will they bring to the area?
How much tax revenue will they receive from the jobs created by the Hornets/Pelicans?
How much tax revenue would be lost if they had moved somewhere else?
How many jobs would be lost if they'd left?
How many Companies and wealthy families would like to relocate to this area because of the increased quality of life that these types of entities bring to the table?
Those are a lot of question marks but I concede, it is a Government problem, not Benson. At the end of the day however he's still taking 36 million and the big picture is he does not need it. Just because he is allowed does not make it right. That's why the vote on it was a close call. It actually had to be voted on again because it got shot down.

There are other ways to generate even more revenue with that 36 million that are seldom even discussed. It's great for him but if we are talking about creating tax revenue, jobs...there are better options I assure you that could create 10X the economic impact of the Hornets.
Beastmode is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #15
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,620
Re: Benson makes Forbes billionaire list with $1.2 billion fortune

Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
There are other ways to generate even more revenue with that 36 million that are seldom even discussed. It's great for him but if we are talking about creating tax revenue, jobs...there are better options I assure you that could create 10X the economic impact of the Hornets.
I agree 100% sort of, but it should also be pointed out that there are numerous ways Government wastes that much money constantly with literally zero benefit to us taxpayers at all.

And if I had to choose between giving 36 million to a proven entrepreneur or a Goverment politician, I'll choose the proven businessman every time. I assure you he will generate 10x the economic impact that the politician would.
Danno is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #16
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,705
Re: Benson makes Forbes billionaire list with $1.2 billion fortune

I get your point Danno but I'm willing to try other options despite the political culture. Giving it to the richest person in the state with the promise of marginal gains at best...no thanks. I know we can do better and it's not that hard! It's really not.

One scenario, take the money and work towards making New Orleans one of the safest travel destinations in the country. Bring in the best of the best and hold them accountable. I talk to people all the time and it's a major concern. They don't want to come down because of the crime.
Beastmode is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,620
Re: Benson makes Forbes billionaire list with $1.2 billion fortune

Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
I get your point Danno but I'm willing to try other options despite the political culture. Giving it to the richest person in the state with the promise of marginal gains at best...no thanks. I know we can do better and it's not that hard! It's really not.

One scenario, take the money and work towards making New Orleans one of the safest travel destinations in the country. Bring in the best of the best. I talk to people all the time and it's a major concern. They don't want to come down because of the crime.
How do you know about "marginal gains at best"?

What was the projected ROI?
Danno is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #18
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,705
Re: Benson makes Forbes billionaire list with $1.2 billion fortune

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
How do you know about "marginal gains at best"?

What was the projected ROI?
There are studies regarding the impact of pro teams on cities. I'm not going to bust out an arsenal of references but from what I have read, it ain't all that great. It just isn't. Some reports have compared it to a single big box store.
Beastmode is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #19
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 15,810
Re: Benson makes Forbes billionaire list with $1.2 billion fortune

Originally Posted by Rugby Saint II View Post
Does anybody else remember how Benson used to run his business with a used car mentality.?
He used to draft players and when they got value he sold them. To me at the time he wasn't investing in the team he was trying to profit from them.

Thank Goodness that we didn't end in San Antonio. It was right after that that he changed his business model.....personally, I think Rita came in the picture about that time and was influential in the changes.
Think about it... Benson SOLD players? Please explain, as I have yet to read any articles where an owner was paid by another team for a player. While he "may" have tried to stay near the basement of the NFL Cap, he never profited from players becoming better, he just didn't care to pay them a better players wage, and thus rotated them out for cheaper talent. Nothing immoral about keeping your costs down.

Ill rehash a statement I have made many times. The NFL was started by a group of businessmen that saw a profitable business model. It is a business to them. It is a privately owned business, and whether you care for how Benson arrived at where he is today it worked out pretty damned well. We, the fans are the only group of people that sees the NFL as anything but a business.

If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Like and vote https://www.facebook.com/pages/Charl...44287815781246
TheOak is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #20
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 11,217
Re: Benson makes Forbes billionaire list with $1.2 billion fortune

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
Think about it... Benson SOLD players? Please explain, as I have yet to read any articles where an owner was paid by another team for a player. While he "may" have tried to stay near the basement of the NFL Cap, he never profited from players becoming better, he just didn't care to pay them a better players wage, and thus rotated them out for cheaper talent. Nothing immoral about keeping your costs down.

Ill rehash a statement I have made many times. The NFL was started by a group of businessmen that saw a profitable business model. It is a business to them. It is a privately owned business, and whether you care for how Benson arrived at where he is today it worked out pretty damned well. We, the fans are the only group of people that sees the NFL as anything but a business.
I see your point about not paying them. But, he certainly doesn't seem to follow use the same business model he uses now. jmho
He really is invested in New Orleans now and that is what matters to me. We as a community have and will benefit from his professional sports teams. Not to mention that he has invested in many New Orleans businesses now.

This is the only time I've ever believed that trickle down economics works.
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/55948-benson-makes-forbes-billionaire-list-1-2-billion-fortune.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 03-05-2013 10:42 AM 1
Benson makes Forbes billionaire list with $1.2 billion fortune This thread Refback 03-04-2013 10:52 PM 5


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts