Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal
View Poll Results: Which Draft Order Slecetion process do you agree with?
Worst record gets highst draft order. 26 96.30%
Best record gets highest draft order. 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

NFL Draft Oder

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; I am not a fan of the present NFL draft order policy. It is an issue with me in regards to competition. With teams getting draft order by worst record being highest, there is always the possibility that teams doing ...

Like Tree14Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 15,170
NFL Draft Oder

I am not a fan of the present NFL draft order policy. It is an issue with me in regards to competition.

With teams getting draft order by worst record being highest, there is always the possibility that teams doing poorly during the season would consider losing out to get a better draft pick.

If the policy is reversed and teams with better records getting draft order based on best record, then teams need to play to win to get a better draft pick, it also help to discourage play off teams from benching starters the last few games of the season.... If playoff teams have a reason to play starters and not risk a loss then you lessen the chance of other teams getting screwed out of a wild card slot because a thrown game gave another wild card possibility a win.

What are your thoughts?

"Dad, you know what sensitive means?" "Yes, but you tell me". "When someone says a joke and you are not tough about it" ~ My 5yo Daughter
TheOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Latest Blogs
Is this Manning's last Hurrah? Last Blog: 04-16-2014 By: SmashMouth


Landry over Beckham Jr. Last Blog: 04-12-2014 By: joker-saint


Saints Free Agency 2014 Last Blog: 03-11-2014 By: SmashMouth


Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Watford England
Posts: 2,675
Re: NFL Draft Oder

It just allows the best to stay there.
Colts could never have signed Luck and he would have ended up backing up a Brady etc until they retired.I like it as is.
Id like to see the two worst teams playoff for the number 1 pick instead of the pro bowl though.
SaintGup likes this.
lee909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,848
Re: NFL Draft Oder

Of course it has to be "worst record gets highest draft order" or some variation on it with potentially a lottery.

It would not make any sense IMO if the best teams would get the best picks, that is if we in fact are considering the draft a "tool" to increase the evenness of the competition.
RockyMountainSaint likes this.
FinSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 45
Re: NFL Draft Oder

Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
Of course it has to be "worst record gets highest draft order" or some variation on it with potentially a lottery.

It would not make any sense IMO if the best teams would get the best picks, that is if we in fact are considering the draft a "tool" to increase the evenness of the competition.
This is the correct solution.....Do what the NBA does and put all the teams that do not make the playoffs in a lottery with the number of balls in the lottery dependent on how bad you are. This is the best solution if you think teams are throwing games at the end of the season to get a better pick. Superbowl Champions should not get the first pick-----
tiger_bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Watford England
Posts: 2,675
Re: NFL Draft Oder

There would be alot if claims of cheating /corruption if certain teams got the number 1 pick while just missing the playoffs.
Would anyone trust Goodell not to give the Giants/Cowboys a number 1 pick?
I wouldn't
lee909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 14,594
Re: NFL Draft Oder

I love it. It creates competitive balance. I'd probably stop watching the NFL if there were the same 4 or 5 good teams every year and a bunch of awful teams with little hope of ever getting better.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 15,170
Re: NFL Draft Oder

While there is a case for the Colts getting Luck, how many teams actually get better through the draft? The Colts also did a complete major overhaul that year, so i am not sure its all on Luck.

I could argue that free agency has been the Saints biggest improvement tool.

Another valid point is that after the first round, order doesn't really matter.

Consistently winning teams such as the Giants, Packers, Patriots, Saints Ravens.. etc Are not hampered by lower draft choices.

Also consistently losing teams do not seem to get much better for the most part.

Bills
have had 6 top 11 picks in the last 12 years, where are they now?

Raiders
have had 6 top 10 picks in the last 12 years.......

Cleveland
have had 6 top 10 picks in the last 12 years........

Detroit
Since 2002 Detroit has had 8 draft picks in the top 10.....


I just do not see any balance being brought to the league by worst record gets highest draft.
Rell&Gold likes this.

"Dad, you know what sensitive means?" "Yes, but you tell me". "When someone says a joke and you are not tough about it" ~ My 5yo Daughter
TheOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bayou Bayfield CO
Posts: 2,510
Re: NFL Draft Oder

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
While there is a case for the Colts getting Luck, how many teams actually get better through the draft? The Colts also did a complete major overhaul that year, so i am not sure its all on Luck.

I could argue that free agency has been the Saints biggest improvement tool.

Another valid point is that after the first round, order doesn't really matter.

Consistently winning teams such as the Giants, Packers, Patriots, Saints Ravens.. etc Are not hampered by lower draft choices.

Also consistently losing teams do not seem to get much better for the most part.

Bills
have had 6 top 11 picks in the last 12 years, where are they now?

Raiders
have had 6 top 10 picks in the last 12 years.......

Cleveland
have had 6 top 10 picks in the last 12 years........

Detroit
Since 2002 Detroit has had 8 draft picks in the top 10.....


I just do not see any balance being brought to the league by worst record gets highest draft.
Those are all management issues. In a world that makes sense, simple evolution would take care of that part. The folk making such dumb assed decisions would be quickly doing something else like flipping burgers. But, for some reason the owners keep these people around for years hoping something'll get better. Then when they're fired, someone else just hires them. I really liked the quick Spags git-go for the reason we didn't do something really stupid.

The only thing related to the draft in this is they've made piss poor choices. Remember the pre-cap days where it was the whiners and cow pies every year? I'm never in favor of a rich get richer situation. Keep it as it is.

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."
Mark Twain
Seer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 15,170
Re: NFL Draft Oder

Originally Posted by Seer1 View Post
Those are all management issues. In a world that makes sense, simple evolution would take care of that part. The folk making such dumb assed decisions would be quickly doing something else like flipping burgers. But, for some reason the owners keep these people around for years hoping something'll get better. Then when they're fired, someone else just hires them. I really liked the quick Spags git-go for the reason we didn't do something really stupid.

The only thing related to the draft in this is they've made piss poor choices. Remember the pre-cap days where it was the whiners and cow pies every year? I'm never in favor of a rich get richer situation. Keep it as it is.
Good point.... Poor guys that are leaving college and destined to mismanaged teams...

But at the end of the day having higher draft picks did not make them better teams.
TheOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bayou Bayfield CO
Posts: 2,510
Re: NFL Draft Oder

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
Good point.... Poor guys that are leaving college and destined to mismanaged teams...

But at the end of the day having higher draft picks did not make them better teams.
But at the same time I bet we could come up with some teams that did draft their way into contention. The Ravens come to mind and again -management. Ozzie has to go down as the personnel genius of the millennium.

I guess I would feel sorry for the guys going to the mismanaged teams, but those teams also seem to overpay for the services rendered along with the rest of their shortcomings.
Seer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/56987-nfl-draft-oder.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 04-12-2013 09:47 AM 2
NFL Draft Oder This thread Refback 04-12-2013 08:24 AM 7


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts