Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Kenny Stills vs Florida State

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; I can believe he lasted, look at how many easy balls he dropped just in those clips (I counted 3), and how many times he got off his route and missed the ball (I counted 2), and then how many ...

Like Tree6Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Black Pearl University
Posts: 799
Re: Kenny Stills vs Florida State

I can believe he lasted, look at how many easy balls he dropped just in those clips (I counted 3), and how many times he got off his route and missed the ball (I counted 2), and then how many poor adjustments he made with the ball in the air (I counted another 2, one of which led to an interception of an otherwise catchable ball). And then he just doesn't seem willing to attack the ball in the air, I kept waiting to see him physically challenge a DB at some point, that never happened. Seems like if he doesn't get open with his speed or route running (which are that great to begin with) then he doesn't have a chance. Lance Moore has always had laser perfect routes and fearless hands in traffic, two qualities this guy, as of right now, does not have. They are going to have to coach away all of that before Drew can trust him enough. He can probably do it, but its a project.
alexonfyre is offline  
Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,038
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Kenny Stills vs Florida State

Originally Posted by alexonfyre View Post
I can believe he lasted, look at how many easy balls he dropped just in those clips (I counted 3), and how many times he got off his route and missed the ball (I counted 2), and then how many poor adjustments he made with the ball in the air (I counted another 2, one of which led to an interception of an otherwise catchable ball). And then he just doesn't seem willing to attack the ball in the air, I kept waiting to see him physically challenge a DB at some point, that never happened. Seems like if he doesn't get open with his speed or route running (which are that great to begin with) then he doesn't have a chance. Lance Moore has always had laser perfect routes and fearless hands in traffic, two qualities this guy, as of right now, does not have. They are going to have to coach away all of that before Drew can trust him enough. He can probably do it, but its a project.
I didn't notice any drops. I saw a play where he slipped and the ball went past him. Other than that, he made all the catches that weren't thrown 10 feet over his head. The interception was a horrible pass, not only because it was over thrown, but because they had coverage underneath and over the top... He had no business throwing that ball.

As far as challenging the DB's, I only saw one real jump ball that he had a chance at (the TD) and he went up and got that one. Lance Moore is a great route runner, but he tends to duck under contact quite a bit himself (that's not to suggest he's never taken a shot and held on). His best catches are when he's diving/sliding to make a tough catch. The only way I'm going to complain about a receiver's guts is if he just stops running (like Randy Moss) in the middle of the route.

You and I saw these clips quite differently, but regardless I think it's a nice pick for the 5th round.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 04-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Black Pearl University
Posts: 799
Re: Kenny Stills vs Florida State

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
I didn't notice any drops. I saw a play where he slipped and the ball went past him. Other than that, he made all the catches that weren't thrown 10 feet over his head. The interception was a horrible pass, not only because it was over thrown, but because they had coverage underneath and over the top... He had no business throwing that ball.

As far as challenging the DB's, I only saw one real jump ball that he had a chance at (the TD) and he went up and got that one. Lance Moore is a great route runner, but he tends to duck under contact quite a bit himself (that's not to suggest he's never taken a shot and held on). His best catches are when he's diving/sliding to make a tough catch. The only way I'm going to complain about a receiver's guts is if he just stops running (like Randy Moss) in the middle of the route.

You and I saw these clips quite differently, but regardless I think it's a nice pick for the 5th round.
Here is everything I saw:

:25 - This is hard to say, If he was on the 15-yard out then he did it right and it was underthrown, if he should have been on the 10 yard out he adjusted his route too much and missed the ball.
1:28 - Has position on the DB, who walks right through him to deflect. No effort to box out, only attacks the ball with a single hand to deflect the interception.
1:36 - Not a great pass, but the ball is in his range. He loses track of the ball in the air, doesn't even come close to making a play.
3:05 - Replay shows that he adjusts his route after the ball is in the air, causing him to lose a step or two, that ball was over thrown, but he may have had a shot at it if he stayed on route and run through the DB.
3:32 - Just drops an easy TD
3:42 - Another straight up drop
3:48 - Once again unaware of ball position, despite being in position to challenge the DB for the ball, doesn't make any move, and leads to an interception.
alexonfyre is offline  
Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 1,620
Re: Kenny Stills vs Florida State

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
I am going to guess because the frigan qb doesn't look that fantastic, to me anyway.

4.3 40 guy, nice. We have some more speed.
+1. The OU faithful couldn't wait for Landry Jones (QB) to be done up in Norman. He was very average at best.
RaginCajun83 likes this.
K Major is online now  
Old 04-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Belle Chasse
Posts: 1,547
Re: Kenny Stills vs Florida State

I watched the Game Changers segment on NFL.com and was impressed not just with his athleticism but with his personality. He seems down to earth and serious about his craft.
Boutte is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 04:17 AM   #16
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,038
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Kenny Stills vs Florida State

Originally Posted by alexonfyre View Post
Here is everything I saw:

:25 - This is hard to say, If he was on the 15-yard out then he did it right and it was underthrown, if he should have been on the 10 yard out he adjusted his route too much and missed the ball.
1:28 - Has position on the DB, who walks right through him to deflect. No effort to box out, only attacks the ball with a single hand to deflect the interception.
1:36 - Not a great pass, but the ball is in his range. He loses track of the ball in the air, doesn't even come close to making a play.
3:05 - Replay shows that he adjusts his route after the ball is in the air, causing him to lose a step or two, that ball was over thrown, but he may have had a shot at it if he stayed on route and run through the DB.
3:32 - Just drops an easy TD
3:42 - Another straight up drop
3:48 - Once again unaware of ball position, despite being in position to challenge the DB for the ball, doesn't make any move, and leads to an interception.
Dude, I'm still confused as to what you're looking at on your end. He doesn't drop a TD, it was batted down, and never got close to his hands... horribly under thrown.

At 1:28, he is practically run over. You can't box a guy out who is running through you. It could have been interference. When I first saw that play I immediately said that was either interference, or the guy made a perfect play on the ball because it sure looked like he went right through him, just as you said... He's not a 260 pound power forward. NFL receivers routinely fail to make that catch.

At 1:36, I don't think he ever saw the ball. Looked like Jones panicked and just airmailed it. Stills was double covered and didn't turn his head till the ball was just past his head.

At 3:42, the defender got a hand in, so it wasn't a straight up drop. After watching it a couple times, I'll say that maybe he should have come back for the ball, but the qb needs to lead him. Usually you come back to the ball when your qb is on the run, but he was open and Jones was not under pressure. Ball has to be in front. But it's one he could have possibly had, I'll give you that.

I agree that the double move he made on one of the deep routes slowed him, but then maybe the double move is what got him open in the first place. That's not something we can conclusively say.

3:48, I can see what you're saying, but he's running a fly pattern at full speed and the ball is under thrown, again. It's not as easy as you might think to stop your momentum on that play, to come back to the ball, but that's a toss up. What he should have done was knock down the corner before he could make a play. That's just my opinion. All in all, this looks like a typical game film for a receiver, to me. And he had far better games than this.

Nobody dropped more balls than Jimmy Graham and Marques Colston last year. We'll see what he does, bro.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #17
11-5
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 2,568
Re: Kenny Stills vs Florida State

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
+1. The OU faithful couldn't wait for Landry Jones (QB) to be done up in Norman. He was very average at best.
I know a couple OU alumni that share those same thoughts
K Major likes this.
RaginCajun83 is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #18
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 11,179
Re: Kenny Stills vs Florida State

4.3 speed......................oh yes, speed kills!
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
500th Post
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hub City
Posts: 576
Re: Kenny Stills vs Florida State

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
The interception was a horrible pass, not only because it was over thrown, but because they had coverage underneath and over the top... He had no business throwing that ball.

You and I saw these clips quite differently, but regardless I think it's a nice pick for the 5th round.
These two things here were my thoughts exactly
Shoe. is offline  
Old 04-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #20
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Black Pearl University
Posts: 799
Re: Kenny Stills vs Florida State

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
Dude, I'm still confused as to what you're looking at on your end. He doesn't drop a TD, it was batted down, and never got close to his hands... horribly under thrown.

At 1:28, he is practically run over. You can't box a guy out who is running through you. It could have been interference. When I first saw that play I immediately said that was either interference, or the guy made a perfect play on the ball because it sure looked like he went right through him, just as you said... He's not a 260 pound power forward. NFL receivers routinely fail to make that catch.

At 1:36, I don't think he ever saw the ball. Looked like Jones panicked and just airmailed it. Stills was double covered and didn't turn his head till the ball was just past his head.

At 3:42, the defender got a hand in, so it wasn't a straight up drop. After watching it a couple times, I'll say that maybe he should have come back for the ball, but the qb needs to lead him. Usually you come back to the ball when your qb is on the run, but he was open and Jones was not under pressure. Ball has to be in front. But it's one he could have possibly had, I'll give you that.

I agree that the double move he made on one of the deep routes slowed him, but then maybe the double move is what got him open in the first place. That's not something we can conclusively say.

3:48, I can see what you're saying, but he's running a fly pattern at full speed and the ball is under thrown, again. It's not as easy as you might think to stop your momentum on that play, to come back to the ball, but that's a toss up. What he should have done was knock down the corner before he could make a play. That's just my opinion. All in all, this looks like a typical game film for a receiver, to me. And he had far better games than this.

Nobody dropped more balls than Jimmy Graham and Marques Colston last year. We'll see what he does, bro.
I'm not going to say that he is a bad WR in general, or that what I said he could do differently is easy or even possible for most people, but I'm trying to take this guy and put him into a division with Derelle Revis and Asante Samuel, to make in impact in this league you have to be netter than good, like Lance Moore and Colston are able to do week-in, week-out, and Nick Toon looks like the type of guy whose speed and hands are better than good. All the things I mentioned up there are things that those guys and Graham do all the time, whether it is overpowering defenders (Graham, Colston) or catching anything that touches your hands (Moore, Colston) or just playing perfect fundamental football (Moore) and if you can't do those things, I don't care what your past achievements are or what a "monster athlete" you are. About 160 people in the entirety of human existence have the skill set and natural ability to play WR in the NFL any given year, and of those less than half will be considered good, I'm sorry if I'm looking for perfection on every play.
alexonfyre is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/57407-kenny-stills-vs-florida-state.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Kenny Stills vs Florida State This thread Refback 04-27-2013 02:15 PM 21


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts