Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

How will Will Smith's transition from DE to OLB go?

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by ProMallNinja Monster season or not, he WILL NOT BE BACK. The writing is on the wall, and we have much bigger fish to fry next season. I personally am more hopeful that Jenkins has a "monster season" ...

Like Tree10Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #31
Threaded by rezburna
1000 Posts +
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: D'iberville, MS
Posts: 1,581

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

Originally Posted by ProMallNinja View Post
Monster season or not, he WILL NOT BE BACK. The writing is on the wall, and we have much bigger fish to fry next season. I personally am more hopeful that Jenkins has a "monster season" so that we can re-sign him and shed Harper. I'd be willin to bet that Smith, Greer, Vilma, and Harper are all gone after this season. Anyone want a piece of that action?
I'll co-sign that.
ProMallNinja likes this.
Views: 2218
Old 07-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #32
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,464
Re: How will Will Smith's transition from DE to OLB go?

He will be good as a run defender and situational pass rusher as an OLB. But, they absolutely don't want him trying to cover someone. His versatility at DE and OLB, along with his veteran leadership and a complete lack of talent team wise at OLB, will keep him on the roster for this season.
Cruize is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #33
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,577
Re: How will Will Smith's transition from DE to OLB go?

Originally Posted by Cruize View Post
He will be good as a run defender and situational pass rusher as an OLB. But, they absolutely don't want him trying to cover someone. His versatility at DE and OLB, along with his veteran leadership and a complete lack of talent team wise at OLB, will keep him on the roster for this season.
I don't think the Jack LB has much coverage responsibilty at all. And when required its usually just a small zone.

But I must agree with the consensus... it sure does look a lot like a square peg in a round hole. Its really the biggest question mark personnel wise on the roster.
Beastmode likes this.
Danno is online now  
Old 07-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #34
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Land Mass between LA and AL
Posts: 3,404
Re: How will Will Smith's transition from DE to OLB go?

I believe speed is going to be his biggest problem at that position.
Mardigras9 is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #35
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: D'iberville, MS
Posts: 1,581
Re: How will Will Smith's transition from DE to OLB go?

Originally Posted by Mardigras9 View Post
I believe speed is going to be his biggest problem at that position.
My thoughts exactly when pertaining to Smith.
rezburna is online now  
Old 07-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #36
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 2,604
Re: How will Will Smith's transition from DE to OLB go?

Originally Posted by Mardigras9 View Post
I believe speed is going to be his biggest problem at that position.
That is the main reason I would like to see him on the inside, he could also take on offensive linemen better, he has for years playing DE.
halloween 65 is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #37
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 11,205
Re: How will Will Smith's transition from DE to OLB go?

Originally Posted by ProMallNinja View Post
Monster season or not, he WILL NOT BE BACK. The writing is on the wall, and we have much bigger fish to fry next season. I personally am more hopeful that Jenkins has a "monster season" so that we can re-sign him and shed Harper. I'd be willin to bet that Smith, Greer, Vilma, and Harper are all gone after this season. Anyone want a piece of that action?
Unless Greer has an awful season then I anticipate that he will be back. We don't have any depth at the position and we may very well need him again next year. Before he goes we need good depth that we don't have currently on the roster.
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #38
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MS Gulf Coast
Posts: 241
Re: How will Will Smith's transition from DE to OLB go?

Originally Posted by Rugby Saint II View Post
Unless Greer has an awful season then I anticipate that he will be back. We don't have any depth at the position and we may very well need him again next year. Before he goes we need good depth that we don't have currently on the roster.
I can't argue with that. I just feel like after this season there is a solid chance that he will be a $6m a year back-up CB. With us being a little strapped for cash, I can see us dropping him and drafting his replacement after this season. Purely speculation on my part though. I hope he does have a hell of a season this year though. Make it hard on Loomis and Payton.
ProMallNinja is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #39
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Watford England
Posts: 3,186
Re: How will Will Smith's transition from DE to OLB go?

Looking at the Cap figures we can save over $3ml cutting Greer.
He will need a paycut
lee909 is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #40
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: D'iberville, MS
Posts: 1,581
Re: How will Will Smith's transition from DE to OLB go?

Greer is already in his 30's isn't he. That's not a good age for that position.....
rezburna is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/58902-how-will-will-smiths-transition-de-olb-go.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
How will Will Smith's transition from DE to OLB go? This thread Refback 07-16-2013 06:45 PM 26
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 07-16-2013 06:44 PM 5


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts