Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Will Luke McCown be on trading block?

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by thebdj Question about waiving him in the next round of cuts then. Assuming the next official cut block is to get down to your 53, then if someone claims him off of waivers do they HAVE to ...

Like Tree14Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #21
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: in line with my ridiculous CLEAR PLASTIC BAG
Posts: 3,264
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Will Luke McCown be on trading block?

Originally Posted by thebdj View Post

Question about waiving him in the next round of cuts then. Assuming the next official cut block is to get down to your 53, then if someone claims him off of waivers do they HAVE to put him in their 53, assuming they claim him after the cut deadline? Does that make sense?
My understanding is that I believe the other team would HAVE to put him on their 53. I don't think you can take a guy from another team's practice squad and sign him on your practice squad. Keep in mind, he may look good, but this guy is reeeeeally green and young and raw. Chase Daniel was outright cut from the roster and left dangling out there, a couple of different times very early in his career, and no one ever picked him up. (IF we'd done that in 2011 or 2012, he would have been scooped up instantly.)

We like Griffin, and we know he looks great, but keep in mind -- there's virtually no way he would be any real help to any other team THIS year. It would be a HUGE gamble for another team to take a chance on him as a "project" to be their backup QB, field goal holder in real games, and manning their clipboard. (Which is actually a real thing, not a joke, he's not just standing there -- it varies from team to team but the backup QB actually does do some stuff out there besides model the latest fitted New Era NFL baseball cap).

We may have to white knuckle it a bit to get him on the practice squad, without getting poached, but I don't think it will be a problem. This kid from Tulane looks like a gem, but he is very low on the radar of the world. I think he makes the practice squad no problem.
SaintsBro is offline  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #22
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: Will Luke McCown be on trading block?

Originally Posted by rezburna View Post
Any GM starting McCown over either of them is stupid. McCown has been in the league for YEARS. His ceiling is serviceable back up. If we're going off preseason performances like it seems we are since everybody is praising McCown, then Manuel has looked just as good if not better. And so has Pryor. They're doing it with much less, and Pryor is doing it behind a dreadful o line. McCown is the one that has people believing the hype machine.
What else is there to go off of? EJ Manuel has yet to play a down in any NFL regular season games, and Terrelle Pryor has a 46% completion average for his one season in the NFL.. McCown has a career 58 % completion percentage.

As far as doing more with less.. Except with the Texans Luke has been using second/third/fourth string WR in preseason and the other two have been running with the starters or same.

On a side note, that old adage that playing behind a great QB for a number of years helps has been dis-proven by Matt Flynn... He has also proven that the Packers are no better at drafting QBs than anyone else.

If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Like and vote https://www.facebook.com/pages/Charl...44287815781246
TheOak is offline  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #23
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,554
Re: Will Luke McCown be on trading block?

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
What else is there to go off of? EJ Manuel has yet to play a down in any NFL regular season games, and Terrelle Pryor has a 46% completion average for his one season in the NFL.. McCown has a career 58 % completion percentage.

As far as doing more with less.. Except with the Texans Luke has been using second/third/fourth string WR in preseason and the other two have been running with the starters or same.

On a side note, that old adage that playing behind a great QB for a number of years helps has been dis-proven by Matt Flynn... He has also proven that the Packers are no better at drafting QBs than anyone else.
I meant judging off preseason for McCown when we've seen him in regular season games. And for that reaso, he's not a starter in the NFL now. EJ Manuel and Pryor just stole spots from veterans, though not very good veterans.

Trust me, Pryot and Manuel are going to do great things. I've been saying Pryor should start since last year. Dude is a beast.
rezburna is offline  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #24
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: Will Luke McCown be on trading block?

Originally Posted by rezburna View Post
I meant judging off preseason for McCown when we've seen him in regular season games. And for that reaso, he's not a starter in the NFL now. EJ Manuel and Pryor just stole spots from veterans, though not very good veterans.

Trust me, Pryot and Manuel are going to do great things. I've been saying Pryor should start since last year. Dude is a beast.
So was J. Russ, Leaf, ... Thinks do not always work out as expected.
TheOak is offline  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #25
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,554
Re: Will Luke McCown be on trading block?

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
So was J. Russ, Leaf, ... Thinks do not always work out as expected.
I met Jamarcus Russell in the club in Moss Point, MS like right after he got drafted. Mind you, Moss Point is the HOOD. The club had just opened back up because it got shot up EVERY week. So why he was there? Idk, but he was. His mind wasn't on football. I believe he could still be good to this day though.

I don't know much about Leaf. I was really little back then.

But EJ Manuel and Terrell Pryor, you can screenshot what I'm saying: They WILL be good, dynamic players barring injuries. Manuel will be Donovan McNabb like. Pryor will be like Kap.
rezburna is offline  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #26
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: Will Luke McCown be on trading block?

Originally Posted by rezburna View Post
you can screenshot what I'm saying:
No need to, the NSA has a copy on record.
rezburna likes this.
TheOak is offline  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #27
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,254
Re: Will Luke McCown be on trading block?

Originally Posted by skymike View Post
I mean, did anyone else notice McCown's accuracy sunday vs. the Texans?
Yes. His deep ball is not pretty, but it gets where it needs to go, and his short/medium passing game is very good. Probably the best backup we've had in the Payton era.
SaintsBro likes this.
Jack Vegas is offline  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #28
Problem?
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,942
Re: Will Luke McCown be on trading block?

I can justify a McNabb comparison with Manuel but the Pryor to Kaepernick one is a joke. While Pryor is on hell of an athlete, his an athlete playing quarterback. Kaepernick is a quarterback that's one hell of an athlete. That comparison is off by a bagillion-zillion times infinity multipled a gazillion times.

Not that I agree with what the media has been saying about Kaepernick(when it's all said an done he'll be one of the all time greats), Pryor couldn't come close to even sniffing a compliment like that... ever.
papz is offline  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #29
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,554
Re: Will Luke McCown be on trading block?

Originally Posted by papz View Post
I can justify a McNabb comparison with Manuel but the Pryor to Kaepernick one is a joke. While Pryor is on hell of an athlete, his an athlete playing quarterback. Kaepernick is a quarterback that's one hell of an athlete. That comparison is off by a bagillion-zillion times infinity multipled a gazillion times.

Not that I agree with what the media has been saying about Kaepernick(when it's all said an done he'll be one of the all time greats), Pryor couldn't come close to even sniffing a compliment like that... ever.
Just wait, had Pryor never got in all that trouble he would've got drafted before Kap. I remember seeing Pryor coming out of high school because we're the same age. His touch was amazing. He IS a quarterback. Watch.
rezburna is offline  
Old 08-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #30
Problem?
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,942
Re: Will Luke McCown be on trading block?

Originally Posted by rezburna View Post
Just wait, had Pryor never got in all that trouble he would've got drafted before Kap.
That's purely speculative at best.

I remember seeing Pryor coming out of high school because we're the same age. His touch was amazing. He IS a quarterback. Watch.
That makes for a very weak argument on attempting to compare him to Kaepernick. He's so great of a quarterback prospect, people have suggested turning him into a wide receiver since he was selected in the supplemental draft.

To top off the weak argument, he'll be playing behind the worst offensive line in the league. His chances look fantastic.
papz is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/59823-will-luke-mccown-trading-block.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest Luke McCown News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 08-28-2013 06:19 PM 2
Will Luke McCown be on trading block? This thread Refback 08-27-2013 11:50 PM 82
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 08-27-2013 11:48 PM 11


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts