New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com (http://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   Saints (http://blackandgold.com/saints/)
-   -   Breaking News: Saints have 4th ranked defense. (http://blackandgold.com/saints/60623-saints-have-4th-ranked-defense.html)

ClintSaints 09-24-2013 08:55 PM

Saints have 4th ranked defense.
 
1 Attachment(s)
Well, after all the dust settled following Monday Night Football, the Saints ended up with the 4th ranked defense in the entire league after three weeks of play.

We now have the 5th ranked scoring defense to boot.


Here are some other ranks to consider:

Pass defense: 4th
Run defense: 20th

Pass offense: 4th
Run offense: 24th

Total offense: 6th
Scoring offense: 16th

Here is a link to the stats:
New Orleans Saints Team Page at NFL.com

lsutigerfan 09-24-2013 09:06 PM

Re: 4th ranked defense.
 
I guess Marshall Faulk knew what he was talking about.

Cory9289 09-24-2013 09:10 PM

Re: 4th ranked defense.
 
If the run D can get better, man oh man!

WhoDat!656 09-24-2013 09:15 PM

Re: 4th ranked defense.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory9289 (Post 531809)
If the run D can get better, man oh man!

When the run game gets better...

hagan714 09-24-2013 09:57 PM

Re: Saints have 4th ranked defense.
 
well the true tests are coming up. couple of more weeks for the elite teams we are going to play to compile tape on what we are doing. then we will know. till then break out the party hats and put the good stuff on ice. in a few weeks we will know if we can open it.

offense? the oL needs to get its act together the clock is ticking.

miami will be a good match up. they are a good team after watching them against the clowns.

TheOak 09-25-2013 08:05 AM

Re: Saints have 4th ranked defense.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClintSaints (Post 531805)
Well, after all the dust settled following Monday Night Football, the Saints ended up with the 4th ranked defense in the entire league after three weeks of play.

We now have the 5th ranked scoring defense to boot.


Here are some other ranks to consider:

Pass defense: 4th
Run defense: 20th

Pass offense: 4th
Run offense: 24th

Total offense: 6th
Scoring offense: 16th

Here is a link to the stats:
New Orleans Saints Team Page at NFL.com

2009
Pass defense: 26th
Run defense: 21th

Pass offense: 4th
Run offense: 6th

Total offense: 1th
Scoring offense: 1th


I find the 2013 Team to be more balanced and a better Team. If I were a Madden player i would take the 2013 Team over the 2009 Team.

the-commish 09-25-2013 09:02 AM

Re: Saints have 4th ranked defense.
 
The Saints also lead the league in time of possession, and their opponents are averaging 55 plays per game, which also lead the league (lowest average number of offensive plays by opponent). These stats go hand in hand, and are caused by the defense being able to get off the field on third downs.

In Sunday's game against the Cardinals, the Cards converted their first three third down opportunities, then failed on each of the next eight. That's pretty impressive for a defense to force a punt on eight straight possessions. And, the following two possessions by Arizona were INTs.

In 33 total opponent possessions, the Saints defense had yielded 4 TDs, 1 FG, forced 20 punts, and had 6 TOs. Pretty impressive so far.

Budsdrinker 09-25-2013 09:32 AM

Re: Saints have 4th ranked defense.
 
Basically the defense gave up 3 runs that are skewing the average.
50 yard by Jackson, the 28 yarder by Martin and 21 yards by Smith.
Martin is really the only RB to have a good game but he ran the ball
more times then we do as a team. 29 attempts. The good news is none of these runs went for TD's, someone did make a tackle.

Jack Vegas 09-25-2013 09:38 AM

Re: 4th ranked defense.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory9289 (Post 531809)
If the run D can get better, man oh man!

Not even worried about the run D. We gave up only 86 yards to the Cardinals (probably 30 on gadget plays to Peterson and Ellington) and 88 to the Falcons (and 50 of that was on one run).

The Tampa game skews it a ton with their 160 yards, but Martin is an elite back, they ran the ball like 35 times, and we still managed to stop him a number of times in key situations.

Don't care what the stats say, our run D is getting it done consistently.

TheOak 09-25-2013 09:46 AM

Re: Saints have 4th ranked defense.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budsdrinker (Post 531895)
Basically the defense gave up 3 runs that are skewing the average.
50 yard by Jackson, the 28 yarder by Martin and 21 yards by Smith.
Martin is really the only RB to have a good game but he ran the ball
more times then we do as a team. 29 attempts. The good news is none of these runs went for TD's, someone did make a tackle.

I was just about to comment on the RBs we have faced.. Smith also ripped a 21 yarder off. if we stop the gashing then we will be a lot better than where we are now.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com