Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Poor Run Defense Partially Due to Scheme

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Defense didn't poop the bed completely, as they did give up monster yards in the run defense. However, couple of factors with NYJ scoring 26 points: 1) INT @ our 48 yard line. NYJ gets 27 yards & kicks FG ...

Like Tree29Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #21
Barry from MS
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Where Ever "They" Send Me
Posts: 477
Re: Poor Run Defense Partially Due to Scheme

Defense didn't poop the bed completely, as they did give up monster yards in the run defense.

However, couple of factors with NYJ scoring 26 points:
1) INT @ our 48 yard line. NYJ gets 27 yards & kicks FG = 3 points
2) Following TD, we give up 42 yd KO return to NYJ 39. They need only 61 yards to answer with their own TD = 7 points
3) INT @ our 39 yard line. NYJ gets 39 yards for TD = 7 points.

NYJ scored 17 points and only had to go 127 yards to get them. Defense did as well as could be expected considering the turds our offense and special teams coverage unit kept giving them. NYJ actually EARNED 9 points from their offense; our offense and special teams directed contributed to the other 17.

"I'd far rather be happy than right any day" ~ Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
"Honor: if you need it defined, you don't have it" ~ Ron Swanson
Barry from MS is offline  
Old 11-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
500th Post
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 892
Re: Poor Run Defense Partially Due to Scheme

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Wow, I haven't seen a gaping hole that size by the Saints O-line in years.

That is amazing. Where's the SLB? Did we just get burned on a SLB/SILB blitz?

Pretty significant hold on Hicks (or Jenkins?) however.
Off topic but I know you'll love this one Danno

If Harper played against the Jets i think we win the game.
Doesnt matter much now but if Harper was healthy those big runs don't happen. Having Jenkins and Harper out hurt us in this game, Bush took some bad angles.
Barry from MS likes this.
blackangold is offline  
Old 11-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #23
500th Post
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 892
Re: Poor Run Defense Partially Due to Scheme

Originally Posted by Barry from MS View Post
Defense didn't poop the bed completely, as they did give up monster yards in the run defense.

However, couple of factors with NYJ scoring 26 points:
1) INT @ our 48 yard line. NYJ gets 27 yards & kicks FG = 3 points
2) Following TD, we give up 42 yd KO return to NYJ 39. They need only 61 yards to answer with their own TD = 7 points
3) INT @ our 39 yard line. NYJ gets 39 yards for TD = 7 points.

NYJ scored 17 points and only had to go 127 yards to get them. Defense did as well as could be expected considering the turds our offense and special teams coverage unit kept giving them. NYJ actually EARNED 9 points from their offense; our offense and special teams directed contributed to the other 17.
Defense has to step up with the Offense playing so poorly. This is the worst offense we have had since 2005.
blackangold is offline  
Old 11-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #24
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,596
Re: Poor Run Defense Partially Due to Scheme

Originally Posted by blackangold View Post
Off topic but I know you'll love this one Danno

If Harper played against the Jets i think we win the game.
Doesnt matter much now but if Harper was healthy those big runs don't happen. Having Jenkins and Harper out hurt us in this game, Bush took some bad angles.

Wait, say what???

blackangold likes this.
Danno is online now  
Old 11-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #25
Barry from MS
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Where Ever "They" Send Me
Posts: 477
Re: Poor Run Defense Partially Due to Scheme

Originally Posted by blackangold View Post
Defense has to step up with the Offense playing so poorly. This is the worst offense we have had since 2005.
Agreed that the D must step up, and I believe the D did just that when they forced NYJ to kick 4 FGs and that NYJ scored both of their TDs on drives of 39 yards and 61 yards. 100 yards for 14 points, no thanks to the offense and special team coverage.

Remember we played without Colston and Sproles yesterday, though, and both are drive-extending, first-down makers. We don't execute nearly as efficiently without them in there, and it is glaringly obvious. Pedestrian offense without them, adding the fact the NYJ D-line killed our O-line all day long. DLP should donate his game check to rehabilitating prostitutes, 'cause he got pimp-slapped for 29 minutes and 38 seconds yesterday.
Danno likes this.

"I'd far rather be happy than right any day" ~ Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
"Honor: if you need it defined, you don't have it" ~ Ron Swanson
Barry from MS is offline  
Old 11-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #26
500th Post
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 892
Re: Poor Run Defense Partially Due to Scheme

Originally Posted by Barry from MS View Post
Agreed that the D must step up, and I believe the D did just that when they forced NYJ to kick 4 FGs and that NYJ scored both of their TDs on drives of 39 yards and 61 yards. 100 yards for 14 points, no thanks to the offense and special team coverage.

Remember we played without Colston and Sproles yesterday, though, and both are drive-extending, first-down makers. We don't execute nearly as efficiently without them in there, and it is glaringly obvious. Pedestrian offense without them, adding the fact the NYJ D-line killed our O-line all day long. DLP should donate his game check to rehabilitating prostitutes, 'cause he got pimp-slapped for 29 minutes and 38 seconds yesterday.
I think our D played well enough and the O just didn't come up with the plays when we needed them. The TOs killed us as well. I agree with you. I still don't get why Payton got away from the run so early. Our running game hasn't been effective all year but we stuck with it and made the D play the run; against the Jets we didn't even try to keep them honest.
blackangold is offline  
Old 11-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #27
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 2,605
Re: Poor Run Defense Partially Due to Scheme

Originally Posted by exile View Post
Says it all.

All I get out of this picture is where an ILB should be. Call me crazy but we need a big thumper to go along with Hawthorn in the middle, I like Lofton and he has done better than I expected but when a runner gets past the front 3 or 4 up front it lies on the ILB or ILB'ers to get the runner in the second tier. Our lb.'s got exposed badly yesterday and others will follow until we get a handle on it, Harper could have been used to his skill set yesterday to a tee. When we do draft I hope we get our man in the middle.
halloween 65 is offline  
Old 11-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #28
500th Post
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 892
Re: Poor Run Defense Partially Due to Scheme

Originally Posted by halloween 65 View Post
All I get out of this picture is where an ILB should be. Call me crazy but we need a big thumper to go along with Hawthorn in the middle, I like Lofton and he has done better than I expected but when a runner gets past the front 3 or 4 up front it lies on the ILB or ILB'ers to get the runner in the second tier. Our lb.'s got exposed badly yesterday and others will follow until we get a handle on it, Harper could have been used to his skill set yesterday to a tee. When we do draft I hope we get our man in the middle.
Not going to say you are wrong here, I like Lofton generally. Hicks got beat up front; he should never let the O-lineman get that close to him. Hick has crazy reach but fails to use it to lock out lineman, he has been a bit disappointing.

Even though I like Lofton I wouldn't mind drafting a good ILB. Can Sam Mills still play lol
Danno and Barry from MS like this.
blackangold is offline  
Old 11-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #29
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,596
Re: Poor Run Defense Partially Due to Scheme

Cant tell if thats Hicks or Jenkins, but either way its not good.

I'm no expert but I'm guessing a 9 foot wide hole is a pretty good indicator that the RB will gain decent yardage.

I'd love to see the all-22 to see what the heck happened on that play.
What formation were we in?
Why isn't a LB in that hole?
Were we blitzing?
Was it a breakdown?
Was that photoshopped?
Why wasn't a hold called?
What could our RB's do with a 9 foot wide hole?
Danno is online now  
Old 11-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #30
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 2,605
Re: Poor Run Defense Partially Due to Scheme

Originally Posted by blackangold View Post
Not going to say you are wrong here, I like Lofton generally. Hicks got beat up front; he should never let the O-lineman get that close to him. Hick has crazy reach but fails to use it to lock out lineman, he has been a bit disappointing.

Even though I like Lofton I wouldn't mind drafting a good ILB. Can Sam Mills still play lol
Truthfully I was thinking of Vaughn Johnson, I would take someone like him and Mills in a heartbeat.
jeanpierre likes this.
halloween 65 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
defense, dome patrol, rob ryan, saints

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/61639-poor-run-defense-partially-due-scheme.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 11-04-2013 12:17 PM 2
Poor Run Defense Partially Due to Scheme This thread Refback 11-04-2013 08:55 AM 13


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts