Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

New Orleans Saints' deep-threat options were limited without Joe Morgan

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by alleycat_126 and instead of wasting a pick on a wide out you can go get an established one for cheap..... Maclin, Nicks....etc.... I wouldn't say Nicks is established .. this season was a big dud and hes ...

Like Tree26Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #21
Threaded by dueceloose
500th Post
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 945

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

Originally Posted by alleycat_126 View Post
and instead of wasting a pick on a wide out you can go get an established one for cheap..... Maclin, Nicks....etc....
I wouldn't say Nicks is established .. this season was a big dud and hes injury prone. I'd rather get fresh legs than old hurt ones.
Views: 2438
Latest Blogs
2015 Saints Bye Week Draft Last Blog: 10-16-2014 By: hagan714


"IRONY" Last Blog: 10-01-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Sainity Zone 9-30-14 Hail Last Blog: 09-30-2014 By: xan


Old 01-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #22
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: New Orleans Saints' deep-threat options were limited without Joe Morgan

Originally Posted by alleycat_126 View Post
Then why wouldn't you use the first two picks of those six picks to turn fine....... Into special.... A ball hawking safety, another shutdownish corner, or and OLB...... I believe you can fix your o line in the middle rounds like you have

Always done..... and instead of wasting a pick on a wide out you can go get an established one for cheap..... Maclin, Nicks....etc....
A few reasons -

Because there is a possibility with a healthy Robinson and Butler + another year with Rob Ryan we have special and just have not seen it on the field yet.

Because I don't want to be the Denver Broncos... On Opposite Day of course. Meaning lopsided. Denver and Manning have a phenomenal offense but for lack of a better term their defense blows and the only reason their W/L record and QB records look the way they do this season is because they are in the AFC. Dallas put up 51 on them and the Jaguars put up 19... 19 for the Jags is huge lol. The AFC was very weak in defense this season, of the top 6 defenses in the league all were NFC. Top AFC defenses, Houston, Cleveland, Buffalo <----- anyone fear those?

Because of the reason above but with a different angle, when you are in an extremely defense dominant Conference having an epic defense doesn't win games if you can't put points on the board.

Lastly, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Offense or lack of was the reason we lost all of our games this season. It's broken for a Sean Payton Saints offense.

I know.... I'm a Chatty Cathy today but here is another way to look at it. Ask your self:

You get 1 pick, which would be the largest game winning improvement: A shut down Talib or an Andre' Johnson in the draft?

My answer would be that Talib would be a marginal increase in talent but Johnson would be a +7 points per game at least.

Many times in life I've tried to perfect something that was great only to screw it up in the end.
Danno likes this.

If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Like and vote https://www.facebook.com/pages/Charl...44287815781246
TheOak is offline  
Old 01-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #23
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 16,447
Re: New Orleans Saints' deep-threat options were limited without Joe Morgan

I think we have some areas needing depth and/or upgrading.

On offense, O-line and WR
On defense, CB FS and LB

Free agency and the draft will address all of them.

But ask yourself, at pick 27 there may be an A+ WR and a B+ CB.
I'm taking that WR

or

There may be an A+ OLB and a B+ WR... I'm taking that LB.

Basically its just the long version of BPA at certain areas of need, or BPA at any position if they're difference makers.
MarchingOn likes this.
Danno is online now  
Old 01-19-2014, 10:55 PM   #24
500th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 938
Re: New Orleans Saints' deep-threat options were limited without Joe Morgan

Originally Posted by alleycat_126 View Post
Then why wouldn't you use the first two picks of those six picks to turn fine....... Into special.... A ball hawking safety, another shutdownish corner, or and OLB...... I believe you can fix your o line in the middle rounds like you have
Always done..... and instead of wasting a pick on a wide out you can go get an established one for cheap..... Maclin, Nicks....etc....

Gordon? Also, Terrence Williams or Miles Austin from Dallas since the cowboys don't know what to do with them on O.
WillSaints81 is offline  
Old 01-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #25
500th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 938
Re: New Orleans Saints' deep-threat options were limited without Joe Morgan

Originally Posted by dueceloose View Post
I wouldn't say Nicks is established .. this season was a big dud and hes injury prone. I'd rather get fresh legs than old hurt ones.

But Nicks was the no.2 receiver in NY and Eli is not as good at getting the ball in his hands which leads to injury. Usually injured receivers have gotten less production. The giants also are a team that has given opponents notice to play hardball.
WillSaints81 is offline  
Old 01-19-2014, 11:02 PM   #26
500th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 938
Re: New Orleans Saints' deep-threat options were limited without Joe Morgan

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
A few reasons -

Because there is a possibility with a healthy Robinson and Butler + another year with Rob Ryan we have special and just have not seen it on the field yet.

Because I don't want to be the Denver Broncos... On Opposite Day of course. Meaning lopsided. Denver and Manning have a phenomenal offense but for lack of a better term their defense blows and the only reason their W/L record and QB records look the way they do this season is because they are in the AFC. Dallas put up 51 on them and the Jaguars put up 19... 19 for the Jags is huge lol. The AFC was very weak in defense this season, of the top 6 defenses in the league all were NFC. Top AFC defenses, Houston, Cleveland, Buffalo <----- anyone fear those?

Because of the reason above but with a different angle, when you are in an extremely defense dominant Conference having an epic defense doesn't win games if you can't put points on the board.

Lastly, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Offense or lack of was the reason we lost all of our games this season. It's broken for a Sean Payton Saints offense.

I know.... I'm a Chatty Cathy today but here is another way to look at it. Ask your self:

You get 1 pick, which would be the largest game winning improvement: A shut down Talib or an Andre' Johnson in the draft?

My answer would be that Talib would be a marginal increase in talent but Johnson would be a +7 points per game at least.

Many times in life I've tried to perfect something that was great only to screw it up in the end.
You and I finally agree on something, we need a receiver.
WillSaints81 is offline  
Old 01-22-2014, 06:02 AM   #27
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,092
Blog Entries: 2
Re: New Orleans Saints' deep-threat options were limited without Joe Morgan

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
I wouldn't burn our first two draft picks on a #4 in yards and points/game (#2 passing/ #19 rushing) defense that would have been better if healthy. We did that with a number of injuries to starters.

Not when our starting offense was 10th in scoring.

The defense is fine and did its job. Offense needs to be addressed with an injection of youth.

Added: I do believe that going into our last draft... We had no clue what we had on defense and the picture is a lot clearer and brighter now.
If we absolutely can't improve the defense because of our need on the O-line, then I think that's ok. But we do need more play making ability in the secondary, and more depth. We just do not create enough turnovers, and that was the biggest strength of our championship team in '09.

So I'm not saying it has to be defense, but if the right guy is there I wouldn't call it a wasted pick. Just take the best player available between offensive lineman and cornerback. Don't reach for a lineman if he isn't first round material.

As far as the WR corps, there is no lack of talent. It's a lack of physicality. I'm not sure we can necessarily fix that in this draft, but if we can it's going to have to wait till after the first round. We have greater needs.
MarchingOn likes this.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 01-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #28
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Katy, Tx a suburb of Houston
Posts: 2,002
Re: New Orleans Saints' deep-threat options were limited without Joe Morgan

Originally Posted by lee909 View Post
The defence has a couple of leaky holes the offense needs the roof replaced
How does the whole roof need to be replaced Armstead was handling business near the end....C, RT..... Of course I personally would love a new infusion of youth along with Khiry, maybe like Andre Williams.... Boston College.... But that would definitely be asking for to much.....
alleycat_126 is offline  
Old 01-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #29
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Watford England
Posts: 3,423
Re: New Orleans Saints' deep-threat options were limited without Joe Morgan

Imo as you say we need a C, RT and most of the WR are at the stage of their career thay they need to start being replaced.
lee909 is offline  
Old 01-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #30
Merces Letifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,371
Re: New Orleans Saints' deep-threat options were limited without Joe Morgan

The headline is wrong.

New Orleans Saints' deep-threat options were limited by lack of protection up front.
Tobias-Reiper is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/63873-new-orleans-saints-deep-threat-options-were-limited-without-joe-morgan.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 01-16-2014 10:12 PM 2
New Orleans Saints' deep-threat options were limited without Joe Morgan This thread Refback 01-16-2014 09:22 PM 26


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts