Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by SaintFanInATLHELL Why? Brees has had 3 consecutive 5000 yard passing seasons and has thrown for 4000 or more yards and 30 or more TDs in each of the last 6 years. So exactly how is changing the ...

Like Tree24Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
Threaded by saintsfan1976
Site Donor
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,506

Blog Entries: 4
Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

Originally Posted by SaintFanInATLHELL View Post
Why? Brees has had 3 consecutive 5000 yard passing seasons and has thrown for 4000 or more yards and 30 or more TDs in each of the last 6 years.

So exactly how is changing the receiver core going to improve the offense?

The line needs to be stabilized so that Brees continues to have time to throw for all those yards and TDs without being harassed or sacked.

I really don't see what can be done in the WR corps that will assist in that effort.

Please explain...

SFIAH
Ok.

Of our four top "receivers" - only ONE of those is an actual WR.

Colston and Moore are 30 and the most promising young guy we have on the field is Kenny Stills.

So yes, in addition to the line being stabilized this team could use a solid #2 WR.
mleg1972 likes this.
Views: 2467
Latest Blogs
The ArtiChoke Last Blog: 09-18-2014 By: Barry from MS


How to really handle Ray Rice and AP Last Blog: 09-17-2014 By: neugey


The Lost Art of the Trade Last Blog: 08-30-2014 By: jeanpierre


Old 02-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #12
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,189
Re: Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

Originally Posted by saintsfan1976 View Post
Ok.



Of our four top "receivers" - only ONE of those is an actual WR.


Brother, that is more of a function of utilization than skill. If Aliens steal the Ginger Giant the utilization looks entirely different.
Rell&Gold likes this.
TheOak is online now  
Old 02-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #13
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,506
Blog Entries: 4
Re: Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

WR production:

SEASON RECEPTIONS RECEIVING YARDS TOUCHDOWNS
2013 164 (36.8%) 2,433 (47.1%) 14 (35.9%)
2012 185 (43.7%) 2,943 (56.7%) 20 (46.5%)
2011 206 (43.6%) 2,924 (53,1%) 24 (52.2%)
2010 235 (52.2%) 2,967 (64.0%) 21 (63.6%)
hagan714 and MarchingOn like this.
saintsfan1976 is offline  
Old 02-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #14
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,506
Blog Entries: 4
Re: Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
Brother, that is more of a function of utilization than skill. If Aliens steal the Ginger Giant the utilization looks entirely different.
And you think defenses didn't key on it, stifling our offense as a result?
saintsfan1976 is offline  
Old 02-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #15
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,189
Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

Originally Posted by saintsfan1976 View Post
And you think defenses didn't key on it, stifling our offense as a result?

That's a different conversation lol. One which we agree on.

That WR production started declining with Graham and Sproles coming in and being used more as receivers. That is all it is an indicator of because pass attempts and passing yards hasn't declined.

Not sure all new WRs would take targets from Sproles or Graham. Once Payton started trusting Stills he started getting more targets.

You know what I think is predictable? Graham is lined up on the left side of the line and when the ball is snapped he doesn't break into a route. $100 says it's a run to the left side of the field.
saintsfan1976 and MarchingOn like this.

If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Like and vote https://www.facebook.com/pages/Charl...44287815781246
TheOak is online now  
Old 02-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #16
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 2,655
Re: Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
That's a different conversation lol. One which we agree on.

That WR production started declining with Graham and Sproles coming in and being used more as receivers. That is all it is an indicator of because pass attempts and passing yards hasn't declined.

Not sure all new WRs would take targets from Sproles or Graham. Once Payton started trusting Stills he started getting more targets.

You know what I think is predictable? Graham is lined up on the left side of the line and when the ball is snapped he doesn't break into a route. $100 says it's a run to the left side of the field.
I have to question Graham lining up as a blocker anyway, if he can't block why the crap would he be out there, he isn't selling the route or blocking, it's a disaster in the making. We have gotten way to predictable. I also agree with Graham and Sproles getting targeted to much taking away from the recievers, it's like a crutch you get to use to having then become totally dependent on, and that is predictable also. If I as a fan know this I bet most DC's out there have picked it up also and to think our high powered O was flat all year and our D bailed them out all season. I'm not a betting man but at the start of last year you would have told me our O was going to stink up the place and our D would be the reason we went as far as we did, my reply would have been your crazy, now I ask myself with the same cast of characters returning on the O is it going to be better or worse, we need up-grades, I am tired of being predictable.
halloween 65 is offline  
Old 02-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #17
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 2,088
Re: Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

Originally Posted by halloween 65 View Post
I have to question Graham lining up as a blocker anyway, if he can't block why the crap would he be out there, he isn't selling the route or blocking, it's a disaster in the making. We have gotten way to predictable. I also agree with Graham and Sproles getting targeted to much taking away from the recievers, it's like a crutch you get to use to having then become totally dependent on, and that is predictable also. If I as a fan know this I bet most DC's out there have picked it up also and to think our high powered O was flat all year and our D bailed them out all season. I'm not a betting man but at the start of last year you would have told me our O was going to stink up the place and our D would be the reason we went as far as we did, my reply would have been your crazy, now I ask myself with the same cast of characters returning on the O is it going to be better or worse, we need up-grades, I am tired of being predictable.
Second in the NFL in total passing yards and fourth in the NFL in total yards = "stink up the place"?

That's a pretty high standard you got there.
Utah_Saint is offline  
Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #18
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 2,655
Re: Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

Originally Posted by Utah_Saint View Post
Second in the NFL in total passing yards and fourth in the NFL in total yards = "stink up the place"?

That's a pretty high standard you got there.
Was there any constant rytham or total domination or real consistancy in this O all year? Stats really don't tell the story. And how many games do you think we would have won without the D, my guess would 8 maybe less, I don't think that those standards get it.
halloween 65 is offline  
Old 02-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #19
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 1,712
Re: Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
Armstead had a bad game against Car (first game played) then after that pretty much smoked the rest of our line in grading.
This is very encouraging for me. He could very well be a diamond in the rough. All he needs is reps and coaching up.
K Major is offline  
Old 02-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #20
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,189
Re: Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

Originally Posted by halloween 65 View Post
Was there any constant rytham or total domination or real consistancy in this O all year? Stats really don't tell the story. And how many games do you think we would have won without the D, my guess would 8 maybe less, I don't think that those standards get it.
Same question applies to 31 other teams brother. You could plausibly say Denver had that but with an all star cast of QB and Receivers they still stumbled every now and then.

How many games would Seattle or SF have won with out the D? Carolina?

Some where between 2009 and 2013 some Saints fans have come to some very unrealistic expectations.
TheOak is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/64219-scouting-breakdown-saints-offense.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Scouting breakdown: Saints offense This thread Refback 02-06-2014 12:01 PM 4


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts