Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by TheOak Same question applies to 31 other teams brother. You could plausibly say Denver had that but with an all star cast of QB and Receivers they still stumbled every now and then. How many games would ...

Like Tree24Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 07:24 AM   #21
Threaded by halloween 65
1000 Posts +
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 2,719

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
Same question applies to 31 other teams brother. You could plausibly say Denver had that but with an all star cast of QB and Receivers they still stumbled every now and then.

How many games would Seattle or SF have won with out the D? Carolina?

Some where between 2009 and 2013 some Saints fans have come to some very unrealistic expectations.
What I'm getting at is, our D was the only thing that actually saved us from being average or below average this season, and with that our O is really no better with what we have now than 2012 with a Spags D maybe worse, average at best, no matter what the stats say. Seattle, San. Fran and Carolina is built for their D, we are built for a high potency O big difference.
Views: 2538
Latest Blogs
2015 Saints Bye Week Draft Last Blog: 10-16-2014 By: hagan714


"IRONY" Last Blog: 10-01-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Sainity Zone 9-30-14 Hail Last Blog: 09-30-2014 By: xan


Old 02-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #22
100th Post
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 390
Re: Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

I think he's wrong when he says the Oline can't be upgraded. No we're not as bad as Atlanta but, Drew took more sacks and more pressures than any other time that he has been with the Saints. And I still say if the Oline is fixed, it will fix a lot of other things on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe not everything, but most of it. Look how much better the line got when the Saints switched from Brown to Armstead. It wouldn't hurt to have an upgrade at C and RT tackle.
Rugby Saint II and MarchingOn like this.
NonieT is offline  
Old 02-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #23
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

Originally Posted by NonieT View Post
I think he's wrong when he says the Oline can't be upgraded. No we're not as bad as Atlanta but, Drew took more sacks and more pressures than any other time that he has been with the Saints. And I still say if the Oline is fixed, it will fix a lot of other things on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe not everything, but most of it. Look how much better the line got when the Saints switched from Brown to Armstead. It wouldn't hurt to have an upgrade at C and RT tackle.
There are two ways to look at what he said and in the context of what he said he is correct. Of course you could upgrade a C and T....

Can you upgrade with in the cap, meaning get more for less?
Rugby Saint II likes this.
TheOak is offline  
Old 02-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #24
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

Originally Posted by halloween 65 View Post
What I'm getting at is, our D was the only thing that actually saved us from being average or below average this season, and with that our O is really no better with what we have now than 2012 with a Spags D maybe worse, average at best, no matter what the stats say. Seattle, San. Fran and Carolina is built for their D, we are built for a high potency O big difference.
Come on man.... Thats a fairly myopic view considering our offense is what kept us from being mediocre for the last how many seasons?

Average offense at best? absurd.

I love it when people want to ignore stats... What else is there... jersey color? I can run it that way if you like.

There is very little difference in the design between N.O. and Seattle. I would argue that putting Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice and Marshawn Lynch on the same offense at their cap figures is focusing on being an offensive powerhouse.

Now SF pours nearly all of its money into Defense with the exception of V. Davis.

If you want to see where a team is focusing on when it is being built just look at the position their biggest cap hit is at. It is evidence of what position they value the most.

We had some bad luck and difficult injuries this season... Now fans want to blow up the offense and try to be someone else.

If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Like and vote https://www.facebook.com/pages/Charl...44287815781246
TheOak is offline  
Old 02-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #25
100th Post
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 390
Re: Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
There are two ways to look at what he said and in the context of what he said he is correct. Of course you could upgrade a C and T....

Can you upgrade with in the cap, meaning get more for less?
Yes. Can draft a C and Saints already have 3 Tackles(excluding Armstead) on the roster.
NonieT is offline  
Old 02-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #26
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

Originally Posted by NonieT View Post
Yes. Can draft a C and Saints already have 3 Tackles(excluding Armstead) on the roster.
So you are not upgrading at Tackle (you already have it), and drafting a Center means you are getting a new Center but have no clue whether it is an upgrade? That is hardly more for less.

How is using the same 4 Tackles you had for 2013 for 2014 an upgrade?
TheOak is offline  
Old 02-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #27
100th Post
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 390
Re: Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
So you are not upgrading at Tackle (you already have it), and drafting a Center means you are getting a new Center but have no clue whether it is an upgrade? That is hardly more for less.

How is using the same 4 Tackles you had for 2013 for 2014 an upgrade?
Didn't know Armstead was a upgrade until the Saints put him in. He was already on the roster.
NonieT is offline  
Old 02-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #28
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

Originally Posted by NonieT View Post
Didn't know Armstead was a upgrade until the Saints put him in. He was already on the roster.
The article came out yesterday. Armstead being an upgrade has been known for a month.
TheOak is offline  
Old 02-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #29
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 2,719
Re: Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
Come on man.... Thats a fairly myopic view considering our offense is what kept us from being mediocre for the last how many seasons?

Average offense at best? absurd.

I love it when people want to ignore stats... What else is there... jersey color? I can run it that way if you like.

There is very little difference in the design between N.O. and Seattle. I would argue that putting Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice and Marshawn Lynch on the same offense at their cap figures is focusing on being an offensive powerhouse.

Now SF pours nearly all of its money into Defense with the exception of V. Davis.

If you want to see where a team is focusing on when it is being built just look at the position their biggest cap hit is at. It is evidence of what position they value the most.

We had some bad luck and difficult injuries this season... Now fans want to blow up the offense and try to be someone else.
First statement I agree with our O has been good for several years, the last 2 in my opionion are in question.
Average O at best, yes, reasoning- not really evolving. If you look at (The greatest show on Turf) their played well for a few years and have done nothing since. A good example of evolving is New England sure they have a turnover rate as any team does but overall are in the hunt more than not, and in my opinion if we don't evolve with the changes of the game we will be the Rams and not New England. For me I like being in the hunt, year in and year out since Payton got here with Brees but there is a window and if the O gets stale there needs to be a change not drastic but a few moving pieces.
Rugby Saint II likes this.
halloween 65 is offline  
Old 02-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #30
100th Post
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 390
Re: Scouting breakdown: Saints offense

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
The article came out yesterday. Armstead being an upgrade has been known for a month.
But we still didn't know until the Saints put him, did we?
NonieT is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/64219-scouting-breakdown-saints-offense.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Scouting breakdown: Saints offense This thread Refback 02-06-2014 12:01 PM 4


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts