Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Saints top 20 salary cap figures...

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; The New Orleans Saints shoehorned their way under the projected 2014 salary cap Wednesday by releasing veteran defenders Will Smith, Roman Harper and Jabari Greer. The move saved the Saints around $17 million and pushed the Saints somewhere between $3 ...

Like Tree15Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southlake, TX
Posts: 1,673
Saints top 20 salary cap figures...

The New Orleans Saints shoehorned their way under the projected 2014 salary cap Wednesday by releasing veteran defenders Will Smith, Roman Harper and Jabari Greer. The move saved the Saints around $17 million and pushed the Saints somewhere between $3 million and $4 million under the projected $126 million salary cap.

Yet the Saints will need to create more salary cap space with players like Jimmy Graham, Malcolm Jenkins, Zach Strief and Brian de la Puente all being potential free agents. So more moves (releasing players or restructuring contracts) will have to occur to make any ground in bringing any of the Saints' possible free agents back to New Orleans.

Below is an updated list of the Saints' top 20 salary cap figures with Smith, Greer and Harper no longer on the team (Jonathan Vilma wouldn't have counted against the 2014 cap anyway since he was set to be a free agent).

Top 20 salary cap figures for New Orleans Saints entering 2014 season | NOLA.com

Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over, over, and over again...and expecting a different outcome!
biloxi-indian is offline  
Latest Blogs
The ArtiChoke Last Blog: 09-18-2014 By: Barry from MS


How to really handle Ray Rice and AP Last Blog: 09-17-2014 By: neugey


The Lost Art of the Trade Last Blog: 08-30-2014 By: jeanpierre


Old 02-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,789
Re: Saints top 20 salary cap figures...

If anybody's interested, restructuring the following player contracts would create the corresponding amount of cap room:

Brees $6,530,000
Evans $4,296,666
Grubbs $3,430,000
Colston $3,096,667
Bunkley $2,363,333

Post-June 1:
Cutting Bunkley would save $4,500,000
Cutting Moore would save $3,800,000
Cutting Grubbs would save $6,100,000

Mostly likely scenario is that we restructure Evans and either Grubbs or Colston, then cut Moore and Bunkley after June 1. That would create something in the area of $16-16.5 million of cap room, putting us roughly $20 million under. That would be just about enough to keep Graham under the WR franchise tag (obviously a long-term extension would be preferable), re-sign Strief and De la Puente and have just enough room for rookies and a couple of mid-level free agents.
Jack Vegas is offline  
Old 02-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
WDN Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Travis AFB, CA
Posts: 96
Re: Saints top 20 salary cap figures...

Brees said he was willing to do whatever it took to keep Jimmy! So I can see him adding a couple of yrs to be with SP on contracts which will lower the cap number for the next few yrs.
WhoDat2301 is offline  
Old 02-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: Saints top 20 salary cap figures...

Originally Posted by WhoDat2301 View Post
Brees said he was willing to do whatever it took to keep Jimmy! So I can see him adding a couple of yrs to be with SP on contracts which will lower the cap number for the next few yrs.
There is only 1 year separating Drew and Seans Contract expiration.
TheOak is offline  
Old 02-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 11,366
Re: Saints top 20 salary cap figures...

The best thing possible would be to let Jenkins go.
RaginCajun83 and halloween 65 like this.
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Old 02-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: Saints top 20 salary cap figures...

Originally Posted by Rugby Saint II View Post
The best thing possible would be to let Jenkins go.
John? Malcolm is gone.
TheOak is offline  
Old 02-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
500th Post
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 968
Re: Saints top 20 salary cap figures...

Originally Posted by Jack Vegas View Post
If anybody's interested, restructuring the following player contracts would create the corresponding amount of cap room:

Brees $6,530,000
Evans $4,296,666
Grubbs $3,430,000
Colston $3,096,667
Bunkley $2,363,333

Post-June 1:
Cutting Bunkley would save $4,500,000
Cutting Moore would save $3,800,000
Cutting Grubbs would save $6,100,000

Mostly likely scenario is that we restructure Evans and either Grubbs or Colston, then cut Moore and Bunkley after June 1. That would create something in the area of $16-16.5 million of cap room, putting us roughly $20 million under. That would be just about enough to keep Graham under the WR franchise tag (obviously a long-term extension would be preferable), re-sign Strief and De la Puente and have just enough room for rookies and a couple of mid-level free agents.
Need to remember to factor in dead money.
Cutting Bunkley saves 1.275m (4.837m dead)
Cutting Moore saves 2.5m (2.5m dead)
Cutting Grubbs saves 100k (9m dead)

Here is a good site to use if you want to play with our cap. Looks to be updated with the recent moves.

Salary Cap Calculator - Over the Cap
blackangold is offline  
Old 02-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,789
Re: Saints top 20 salary cap figures...

Originally Posted by blackangold View Post
Need to remember to factor in dead money.
I did. My numbers are accurate.
Jack Vegas is offline  
Old 02-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
500th Post
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 968
Re: Saints top 20 salary cap figures...

Originally Posted by Jack Vegas View Post
I did. My numbers are accurate.


Salary Cap Calculator - Over the Cap
blackangold is offline  
Old 02-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,789
Re: Saints top 20 salary cap figures...

I'm using the same site. My numbers are accurate. If you are subtracting dead money from the projected gain/loss column you are doing it wrong. It's already done for you. The projected gain/loss column is the only one you need to look at.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what you are doing. Notice I said June 1 cuts. Go back in, change it to June 1 cut and see what happens.
jeanpierre likes this.
Jack Vegas is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/64324-saints-top-20-salary-cap-figures.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 02-13-2014 08:23 PM 3
The Latest Brian De La Puente News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 02-13-2014 01:27 PM 1
Saints top 20 salary cap figures... This thread Refback 02-13-2014 10:41 AM 44


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts