Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

TRADE OUT OF ROUND 1

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Leaning towards a WR in round 1 but I think that only opens up for the possibility of trading back and getting more picks. Get us more bodies and more possible gems to polish. ...and it becomes cheaper for us!!!...

Like Tree13Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 6,306
Blog Entries: 5
TRADE OUT OF ROUND 1

Leaning towards a WR in round 1 but I think that only opens up for the possibility of trading back and getting more picks. Get us more bodies and more possible gems to polish.

...and it becomes cheaper for us!!!
Euphoria is offline  
Old 02-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,271
Re: TRADE OUT OF ROUND 1

All draft picks are cheap now
Danno is offline  
Old 02-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 10,975
Blog Entries: 5
Re: TRADE OUT OF ROUND 1

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
All draft picks are cheap now
Yeah, and it's all a crap shoot anyway...

saintfan is offline  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 1,413
Re: TRADE OUT OF ROUND 1

If the Texans don't go with a QB first overall and they want to jump back into the 1st round to make sure they get their guy... Then I'd be all for it. I guess that goes for most of the teams with the top 5 picks.
ChrisXVI is online now  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,271
Re: TRADE OUT OF ROUND 1

Originally Posted by saintfan View Post
Yeah, and it's all a crap shoot anyway...

Then why not trade down every round and get 20 7th rounders?
Danno is offline  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 10,975
Blog Entries: 5
Re: TRADE OUT OF ROUND 1

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Then why not trade down every round and get 20 7th rounders?
As many "late rounders" and street free agents and walk on's that we hear about, I'd almost be for it.

As I've said or at least I'm saying now, they can evaluate all day (and night). It's not a complete waste of time. Still, at the end of the day, there have only been a very few "sure things" in the NFL draft that ever proved themselves as such. Far more crashed and burned.

They're measuring the wrong things. They should all have to pass an evaluation by Dr Phil before they're allowed to declare themselves eligible.

I am the Genie of Sound. Everybody get down!
saintfan is offline  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 59
Re: TRADE OUT OF ROUND 1

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Then why not trade down every round and get 20 7th rounders?
Discount Belichick
FeelTheBrees is offline  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #8
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,271
Re: TRADE OUT OF ROUND 1

Originally Posted by saintfan View Post
As many "late rounders" and street free agents and walk on's that we hear about, I'd almost be for it.

As I've said or at least I'm saying now, they can evaluate all day (and night). It's not a complete waste of time. Still, at the end of the day, there have only been a very few "sure things" in the NFL draft that ever proved themselves as such. Far more crashed and burned.

They're measuring the wrong things. They should all have to pass an evaluation by Dr Phil before they're allowed to declare themselves eligible.
Well its a fact that 1st rounders have a higher percentage of success than 2nd rounders, and 2nd rounders have a higher percentage of success than 3rd rounders, and 3rd rounders have a higher percentage of success than 4th rounders, and so on.

But, has anyone run the stats on 20 or so arbitrary 7th rounders having more success than a 1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th, and 6th rounder combined?


That might be an interesting comparison, twenty 7th rounder picks versus a traditional 1st thru 6th round draft.

But as I've pointed out quite successfully on numerous occasions, the draft is in no way shape or form a crap shoot.
Danno is offline  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 10,975
Blog Entries: 5
Re: TRADE OUT OF ROUND 1

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Well its a fact that 1st rounders have a higher percentage of success than 2nd rounders, and 2nd rounders have a higher percentage of success than 3rd rounders, and 3rd rounders have a higher percentage of success than 4th rounders, and so on.

But, has anyone run the stats on 20 or so arbitrary 7th rounders having more success than a 1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th, and 6th rounder combined?


That might be an interesting comparison, twenty 7th rounder picks versus a traditional 1st thru 6th round draft.

But as I've pointed out quite successfully on numerous occasions, the draft is in no way shape or form a crap shoot.
Oh it's a crap shoot alright, perhaps an educated one, but a crap shoot nonetheless. Just take the first round. ANY first round in history. If it were anything that resembled an exact science 1st round busts would be rare.

But they "bust" out every year. Year after year. I don't discount what you're saying. I get it. But in the end, there is no measurable that guarantees a player will be successful. There won't be one in our lifetime.
saintfan is offline  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,271
Re: TRADE OUT OF ROUND 1

Originally Posted by saintfan View Post
Oh it's a crap shoot alright, perhaps an educated one, but a crap shoot nonetheless. Just take the first round. ANY first round in history. If it were anything that resembled an exact science 1st round busts would be rare.

But they "bust" out every year. Year after year. I don't discount what you're saying. I get it. But in the end, there is no measurable that guarantees a player will be successful. There won't be one in our lifetime.
A crap shoot implies that every selection from the 1st to the last has the exact same rate of success.

That just isn't so.

The odds favor 1st rounder over 2nd rounder, and 2nd over 3rd etc...

Therefore it is not a crap shoot.

You give me all 32 1st rounders and I'll give you all 32 7th rounders over the last 10 years. Who do you think will have the better team?
Danno is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/64477-trade-out-round-1-a.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
TRADE OUT OF ROUND 1 This thread Refback 02-24-2014 08:04 PM 82
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 02-24-2014 07:48 PM 8


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts