New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com (http://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   Saints (http://blackandgold.com/saints/)
-   -   The Advocate: Turnovers are the focus for the Saints defense this offseason (http://blackandgold.com/saints/66336-turnovers-focus-saints-defense-offseason.html)

WhoDat!656 06-09-2014 08:46 AM

Turnovers are the focus for the Saints defense this offseason
 
1 Attachment(s)
In the Saints’ first organized team activity open to reporters this summer, rookie cornerback Stanley Jean-Batiste slapped the ball out of receiver Andy Tanner’s hands after he made a catch.

A few minutes later, safety Rafael Bush stripped Marques Colston as he tried to run with a reception.

Read more: Turnovers are the focus for the Saints defense this offseason | Saints | The Advocate — Baton Rouge, LA

Danno 06-09-2014 10:58 AM

Re: Turnovers are the focus for the Saints defense this offseason
 
Sounds great, but I'm sure I'm not the only one concerned that an emphasis on takeaways may come at the cost of more missed tackles.

dizzle88 06-09-2014 11:14 AM

Re: Turnovers are the focus for the Saints defense this offseason
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danno (Post 596594)
Sounds great, but I'm sure I'm not the only one concerned that an emphasis on takeaways may come at the cost of more missed tackles.

Yeah I hope they don't all start using Malcolm Jenkins style of tackling, torpedo head first into absolutely nothing attempting to seperate the ball from the carrier

|Mitch| 06-09-2014 12:24 PM

Re: Turnovers are the focus for the Saints defense this offseason
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzle88 (Post 596599)
Yeah I hope they don't all start using Malcolm Jenkins style of tackling, torpedo head first into absolutely nothing attempting to seperate the ball from the carrier

That's not turnover focused, just absolutely horrid fundamental tackle skills

And guys like Bailey or Byrd turnovers just come naturally, even Lewis did "okay" in that area last year...

halloween 65 06-09-2014 01:55 PM

Re: Turnovers are the focus for the Saints defense this offseason
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzle88 (Post 596599)
Yeah I hope they don't all start using Malcolm Jenkins style of tackling, torpedo head first into absolutely nothing attempting to seperate the ball from the carrier

That is true!!

AllSaints 06-09-2014 04:41 PM

Re: Turnovers are the focus for the Saints defense this offseason
 
I'm praying we can stay healthy ! This Defense is going to be a turnover machine !

rezburna 06-09-2014 04:50 PM

Re: Turnovers are the focus for the Saints defense this offseason
 
Turnovers needs to be the focus of the offense.

hagan714 06-10-2014 05:10 AM

Re: Turnovers are the focus for the Saints defense this offseason
 
For whatever reason, Ryan’s defenses rarely have turned in big turnover numbers. In his 10 years as a coordinator, the high mark for takeaways was 28 by Cleveland in 2010, which placed the Browns in a tie for 13th in the NFL. Half of his defenses failed to produce 20 takeaways: Oakland in 2004 and 2005, Cleveland in 2009, Dallas in 2012 and New Orleans last season all finished among the league’s bottom six in the category.

The 2011 Cowboys, who forced 25 turnovers, are one of only two Ryan defenses to rank in the top half of the NFL in takeaways — and then just barely at No. 16.


my number 2 concern with roy boy when we hired him.

Well i am holding my breath and hoping that Vaccarro can get some INTs. I hate to end up with yet another set of stone hands at SS.

dizzle88 06-10-2014 05:30 AM

Re: Turnovers are the focus for the Saints defense this offseason
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hagan714 (Post 596668)
For whatever reason, Ryan’s defenses rarely have turned in big turnover numbers. In his 10 years as a coordinator, the high mark for takeaways was 28 by Cleveland in 2010, which placed the Browns in a tie for 13th in the NFL. Half of his defenses failed to produce 20 takeaways: Oakland in 2004 and 2005, Cleveland in 2009, Dallas in 2012 and New Orleans last season all finished among the league’s bottom six in the category.

The 2011 Cowboys, who forced 25 turnovers, are one of only two Ryan defenses to rank in the top half of the NFL in takeaways — and then just barely at No. 16.


my number 2 concern with roy boy when we hired him.

Well i am holding my breath and hoping that Vaccarro can get some INTs. I hate to end up with yet another set of stone hands at SS.

Kinda makes you think, is rob getting the players to play more fundamentally sound football rather than taking a risk and it having the chance to bite you on the behind

We all noticed how much better our players tackled last season rather than constantly going for the strip, if all of robs defenses have been that way it kind of makes you think

I'd like more turnovers, but not at the expense of how dominant our D was last year, we were top 5 in the league for forcing 3 and outs - plus we did drop a hell of a lot of INT's last season

hagan714 06-10-2014 06:29 AM

Re: Turnovers are the focus for the Saints defense this offseason
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzle88 (Post 596669)
Kinda makes you think, is rob getting the players to play more fundamentally sound football rather than taking a risk and it having the chance to bite you on the behind

We all noticed how much better our players tackled last season rather than constantly going for the strip, if all of robs defenses have been that way it kind of makes you think

I'd like more turnovers, but not at the expense of how dominant our D was last year, we were top 5 in the league for forcing 3 and outs - plus we did drop a hell of a lot of INT's last season

i will say it again Roy Boy gets to much credit. all he did was undo Spags screw up to Williams defense. He stepped in at year 3 of a youth movement on defense for the saints. most of what we are seeing is williams coaching. I do give him credit but i am not heaping it on the band wagon just yet. teams now have a full season of tape lets see how they attack us.

now my #1 concern with Roy is the fact he has never had a defense step up when needed to take a team to the promised land despite teams giving him the priority to add players. IE Dallas.

Lets see if he learned his lesson and lets another coach pick and handle the DBs. that is not his strong suit at all.

We all love Byrd signs but Kenny is going to be the key IMO.

teams will avoid Byrd at all cost and go after Kenny if he is playing a traditional deep set. Lets be honest Kenny is not known for INT's in college. If turnovers are key the signing of Byrd could become mute if the other safety can not produce the INT. this was my main issue with picking Kenny. I fear we have another Harper on our hands. not that is a bad thing. but it is a pick that did not solve the issue we had before.

so here is to Kenny:chug: this INT production expectation will fall squarely on his shoulders more than any one in the secondary. he will get tested early and often. i hope he steps up and produces. In order for this work teams must pick their poison and fear both.

Tackle first
TO second


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com