Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Saints thinking about life after Drew Brees

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by Halo Nice leak to Rappaport by the Saints front office to signal to Brees his last 2 seasons are about to be renegotiated into a 3 or 4 year deal for reasonable cap money. In my opinion, ...

Like Tree69Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #21
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 21,171
Re: Saints thinking about life after Drew Brees

Originally Posted by Halo View Post
Nice leak to Rappaport by the Saints front office to signal to Brees his last 2 seasons are about to be renegotiated into a 3 or 4 year deal for reasonable cap money. In my opinion, investment in Brees was a no-brainer. Every super pay player, Payton Manning included, has their contract chipped away over time - organizations simply cannot pay them in full and keep the organization afloat with personnel.

As for mistakes: front office paying Jarius Byrd "Jimmy Graham" money considering Byrd was injured last season was the biggest mistake this front office has made in a long time - especially since it cost us Sproles and apparently two core safeties to make-way. However funky our defense was last season, it worked. It works less well by a mile this year.

This is all posturing for a re-negotiation, which I believe will happen and will free money for free-agency. I just don't think we have the draft position or picks to draft that high without selling out the entire draft "Rickey Williams" style which brings us back to killing our draft for a few years to come.
"Drew, we're gonna use money saved from your restructure to bring in a couple stud O-Linemen. You OK with that?"
Halo, mleg1972 and Mr.Riaton like this.
Danno is offline  
Old 11-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #22
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 4,260
Re: Saints thinking about life after Drew Brees

Originally Posted by Halo View Post
Nice leak to Rappaport by the Saints front office to signal to Brees his last 2 seasons are about to be renegotiated into a 3 or 4 year deal for reasonable cap money. In my opinion, investment in Brees was a no-brainer. Every super pay player, Payton Manning included, has their contract chipped away over time - organizations simply cannot pay them in full and keep the organization afloat with personnel.

As for mistakes: front office paying Jarius Byrd "Jimmy Graham" money considering Byrd was injured last season was the biggest mistake this front office has made in a long time - especially since it cost us Sproles and apparently two core safeties to make-way. However funky our defense was last season, it worked. It works less well by a mile this year.

This is all posturing for a re-negotiation, which I believe will happen and will free money for free-agency. I just don't think we have the draft position or picks to draft that high without selling out the entire draft "Rickey Williams" style which brings us back to killing our draft for a few years to come.
It could be everything that you said but I'm not so sure. He has been good at times but has also been bad. At his age I might think about trading him because when total decline comes it will be quick and as much as he has did for the Saints, the Saints should always come first and not the player, any player,even Brees.
halloween 65 is online now  
Old 11-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #23
Site Donor 2016
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 15,276
Blog Entries: 45
Re: Saints thinking about life after Drew Brees

Originally Posted by halloween 65 View Post
It could be everything that you said but I'm not so sure. He has been good at times but has also been bad. At his age I might think about trading him because when total decline comes it will be quick and as much as he has did for the Saints, the Saints should always come first and not the player, any player,even Brees.
Drew Brees is 35 years old. By comparison Brady is 37 and Manning is 38.

(this part NOT directed toward halloween 65 AT ALL)
The old arm argument is pretty tired. That argument started in 2010 the immediate season following our Superbowl win. I frankly think the self-induced disrespect of Brees by some of our fans shows why the Saints fan base is not the best in the business. Frankly some of our fans are very embarrassing because they feel jilted because the fanbase was so critical and torn over Aaron Brooks and/or the organization didn't promote Jake Delhomme? It's sad.

Brees is the best QB we've ever employed and will go down in the books as such. One-half the NFL would love the Saints to dump Brees so they would pick him up for a Superbowl run of their own and gladly pay what he asks for over the next 4 years to finish and retire a member of their organization. Sure he deserves all the criticism he earns, just like every NFL player, but a noodle arm old man, especially since 2010, is a sad pathetic attempt to implode the Saints fanbase.

Like blackandgold.com on facebook follow us on Twitter
Halo is offline  
Old 11-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #24
LB Mentallity
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,985
Blog Entries: 52
Re: Saints thinking about life after Drew Brees

for the love of god take him to the 40 already and put him out to pasture.

I will be shocked if Drew does not do an extension
hagan714 is offline  
Old 11-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #25
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,108
Re: Saints thinking about life after Drew Brees

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
"Drew, we're gonna use money saved from your restructure to bring in a couple stud O-Linemen. You OK with that?"
Next year is the first year he can restructure without hurting us, right? I think he will
spkb25 is online now  
Old 11-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #26
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,108
Re: Saints thinking about life after Drew Brees

Originally Posted by Halo View Post
Drew Brees is 35 years old. By comparison Brady is 37 and Manning is 38.

(this part NOT directed toward halloween 65 AT ALL)
The old arm argument is pretty tired. That argument started in 2010 the immediate season following our Superbowl win. I frankly think the self-induced disrespect of Brees by some of our fans shows why the Saints fan base is not the best in the business. Frankly some of our fans are very embarrassing because they feel jilted because the fanbase was so critical and torn over Aaron Brooks and/or the organization didn't promote Jake Delhomme? It's sad.

Brees is the best QB we've ever employed and will go down in the books as such. One-half the NFL would love the Saints to dump Brees so they would pick him up for a Superbowl run of their own and gladly pay what he asks for over the next 4 years to finish and retire a member of their organization. Sure he deserves all the criticism he earns, just like every NFL player, but a noodle arm old man, especially since 2010, is a sad pathetic attempt to implode the Saints fanbase.
Could you imagine the Cards licking their chops?
spkb25 is online now  
Old 11-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #27
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,257
Re: Saints thinking about life after Drew Brees

Drew will be our QB until he can't play... I think he has a good 5 years left, but he needs to get a team friendly deal done like Brady did if he wants to win more SBs.
Halo, spkb25 and mleg1972 like this.
blackangold is online now  
Old 11-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #28
500th Post
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: born And raised in NOLA, now live in Los Angeles
Posts: 810
Re: Saints thinking about life after Drew Brees

We need to first build the future of that O-Line and trade a 6th for a guy like Matt Barkley.
Halo likes this.
lsutigerfan is offline  
Old 11-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #29
Site Donor 2016
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 15,276
Blog Entries: 45
Re: Saints thinking about life after Drew Brees

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
Could you imagine the Cards licking their chops?
The Cards, Jets, Redskins, Cowboys, Bears, Bucs, Rams, Bills, Bengals, Texans, Jags, Raiders.... then just think of the sigh of relief our NFC South rivals would have - probably laugh so hard at us we become a laughing stock for dumping our single best player of all time and their biggest, most feared nemesis - Drew Brees - all the while our defense is so poor, void of talent, and its only talent overpaid and spoiled, yet we traded Brees. The thought is a joke.
Danno, spkb25, MatthewT and 2 others like this.
Halo is offline  
Old 11-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #30
Site Donor 2016
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 15,276
Blog Entries: 45
Re: Saints thinking about life after Drew Brees

Originally Posted by blackangold View Post
Drew will be our QB until he can't play... I think he has a good 5 years left, but he needs to get a team friendly deal done like Brady did if he wants to win more SBs.
Originally Posted by lsutigerfan View Post
We need to first build the future of that O-Line and trade a 6th for a guy like Matt Barkley.
Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
Could you imagine the Cards licking their chops?
BINGO, BINGO, BINGO! The Saints fan IQ meter just jumped up several points
Halo is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/69778-saints-thinking-about-life-after-drew-brees.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Saints thinking about life after Drew Brees This thread Refback 11-30-2014 12:39 PM 10


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts