Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Saints 23, Tampa 20

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by blackangold We were losers, I don't recall the saints having a winning record last year. We should have been thinking about the draft and we are even bigger losers because we weren't. I understand the opposing point ...

Like Tree52Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2015, 05:22 PM   #11
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 21,150
Re: Saints 23, Tampa 20

Originally Posted by blackangold View Post
We were losers, I don't recall the saints having a winning record last year. We should have been thinking about the draft and we are even bigger losers because we weren't. I understand the opposing point of view but it's a lack of foresight because of pride.

If Brees went down and never recovered, yet we won, would you care? I doubt it, and everyone would be calling for Payton's head.
Who is we?
Tobias-Reiper likes this.
Danno is online now  
Old 04-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #12
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 3,312
Re: Saints 23, Tampa 20

Originally Posted by blackangold View Post
We were losers, I don't recall the saints having a winning record last year. We should have been thinking about the draft and we are even bigger losers because we weren't. I understand the opposing point of view but it's a lack of foresight because of pride.

If Brees went down and never recovered, yet we won, would you care? I doubt it, and everyone would be calling for Payton's head.
Losing is an attitude, not the players on the field. Once a franchise goes into the lose to get a better pick mode they have given up. Screw that. Any player can go down any game. That means nothing. I want to win.
jnormand likes this.
AsylumGuido is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #13
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,250
Re: Saints 23, Tampa 20

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Who is we?
The same WE you have in this post:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
We could get a #1 player at 13, then perhaps the #1 MLB at 31, and the #1 TE at 44.
What's your point?
SloMotion likes this.
blackangold is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #14
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,250
Re: Saints 23, Tampa 20

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Losing is an attitude, not the players on the field. Once a franchise goes into the lose to get a better pick mode they have given up. Screw that. Any player can go down any game. That means nothing. I want to win.
I understand the mentality I just don't agree with how strategic it is.
blackangold is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #15
100th Post
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 180
Re: Saints 23, Tampa 20

Originally Posted by RaginCajun83 View Post
I'd rather they win and loose 8 spots in a crap shoot than lie down to a crappy team
Exactly! You play to win and the let chips fall where they may.
TwistedTiger is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 05:46 PM   #16
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,462
Re: Saints 23, Tampa 20

Top ten picks do not determine successful franchises

Look at the rams, browns, bucs, jaguars and raiders

They are guaranteed top 5 picks for at least the last 5 years and besides the browns last year, have nothing to show for it.
dizzle88 is online now  
Old 04-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #17
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 14,362
Re: Saints 23, Tampa 20

Payton looked at the gimme' from Tampa as a better looking record. When history judges you sometimes wins and looses matter.

On the other hand Lovie Smith had nothing to lose by losing the game. He got better draft picks because of it. The Bucs are looking to make an impact with this draft and they are selecting at a good place to find talent. We are still picking where our record determined our place in this years draft.......fairly high.

I will go on record as saying I was all for pulling the starters and evaluating the back ups better with some film on them. Payton wanted a better record and he got it. Some fans feel the price was too high. But.......

There Are Two Kinds Of People In This
World
Being A Rugby Player Is Better Than Both Of Them
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #18
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,557
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Saints 23, Tampa 20

Those with quitting attitudes have been jettisoned from the Saints franchise.

Maybe we should adopt a new rule here.
Jamessr likes this.
saintsfan1976 is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #19
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,250
Re: Saints 23, Tampa 20

Originally Posted by saintsfan1976 View Post
Those with quitting attitudes have been jettisoned from the Saints franchise.

Maybe we should adopt a new rule here.
Lol.

Football should be played like chess not checkers.

I for one am glad people don't always agree. If everyone agreed this would be a boring forum.

Winning tge game had no tangible effect on the team while losing would have. It also would have been a great time to try out sjb and powell.
blackangold is offline  
Old 04-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #20
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 21,580
Blog Entries: 29
Re: Saints 23, Tampa 20

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Wouldn't every win account for that drop?
Depends from your vantage point. From the comfort of your armchair and 20/20 hindsight, there are two possibilities. If you have those crystal ball abilities, an argument could be made that yes, indeed, every win accounts for that drop. That would mean that SP knew what his won/loss record was going to be... which is of course preposterous. So the second possibility is much more plausible in that the whole world knew within a spot or two what the outcome of that game would represent, win or lose, , including SP. So we went for the win, as we should have, and used the opportunity to evaluate talent for the hard decisions after the season and the cap decisions right before the draft. And we slip a few spots in the draft. Draft position sure has not bothered BB too much over the years. Saints just have not been as good as they should have recently.

Said Pope Benedict: "WOW ... that ring is bigger than mine!!!"

SmashMouth is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/72054-saints-23-tampa-20-a.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 04-21-2015 03:54 PM 2
Saints 23, Tampa 20 This thread Refback 04-21-2015 03:51 PM 8


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts