Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Report: New Orleans Saints concerned about decline in Drew Brees

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by SloMotion Do guys like Manning & Brady almost never get hit because of their offensive lines (possibly in Brady's case) or because they know how to move in the pocket (as in Manning's case)? I don't think ...

Like Tree38Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 11:45 PM   #31
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,444
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Report: New Orleans Saints concerned about decline in Drew Brees

Originally Posted by SloMotion View Post
Do guys like Manning & Brady almost never get hit because of their offensive lines (possibly in Brady's case) or because they know how to move in the pocket (as in Manning's case)? I don't think Manning has fused vertebrae or whatever because he almost never gets hit ... I think the reason guys like Brady/Manning/Brees are at the top of the game at their ages is simply because they know how to play (students of the game).
With all due respect to your point, Drew Brees used to be praised for his ability to feel the pressure and step up. The past couple years he's been getting hit a lot more, and I'll leave you to tell me why that is.

I have watched Manning and Brady for their whole careers just like you. I'm not saying they don't have any ability to step away from pressure, but when I have watched these guys they have rarely had to step up. They have been well protected for the vast majority of their careers.

That doesn't mean they never, ever get hit. You pointed out Manning's neck surgery. That's a freak thing. You get worn down after years of being hit, but a serious injury can happen in an instant. The Broncos offensive line had some injuries last year, and Manning , for the first time I can remember, was consistently harassed down the stretch... It showed in his play.

Please note that none of this is to take away from any of these guys. They are the best at what they do because they are the best. It's that simple. This isn't an argument of why they are good, on my part. Just making some observations.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 06-07-2015, 11:52 PM   #32
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,444
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Report: New Orleans Saints concerned about decline in Drew Brees

Originally Posted by saintsfan1976 View Post
So if we protect Drew Brees he can play till 40
Maybe so. But my point is about what has been going on the last couple of years. I guess if he never got hit he could play til he's 50. But unfortunately, that has not been the case. He can still play at a high level if he's protected, yes. That's not hard to answer. Do I think he's got the same arm strength to make all the throws down the field consistently as he used to? From what I see on the field, no. His decision making has, at times, been atrocious. To what do we attribute that? I really don't know. But seeing is believing. That's something that is completely mental, and whether he comes out of that I don't know. Hopefully if he has more time he'll think a little more clearly.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 06-08-2015, 12:27 AM   #33
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Haven Ct
Posts: 22,413
Re: Report: New Orleans Saints concerned about decline in Drew Brees

Decline, what decline
QBREES9 is offline  
Old 06-08-2015, 07:47 AM   #34
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,560
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Report: New Orleans Saints concerned about decline in Drew Brees

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
Maybe so. But my point is about what has been going on the last couple of years. I guess if he never got hit he could play til he's 50. But unfortunately, that has not been the case. He can still play at a high level if he's protected, yes. That's not hard to answer. Do I think he's got the same arm strength to make all the throws down the field consistently as he used to? From what I see on the field, no. His decision making has, at times, been atrocious. To what do we attribute that? I really don't know. But seeing is believing. That's something that is completely mental, and whether he comes out of that I don't know. Hopefully if he has more time he'll think a little more clearly.
Sure arm strength is a little less.

But the "mental" thing... I don't agree at all. The only factor changing Drew mentality is 2-3 280lb players in his face before receivers get into their breaks.

Besides, he admitted trying to do "too much" to help the team win last year. At least he was trying....
saintsfan1976 is offline  
Old 06-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #35
100th Post
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 438
Re: Report: New Orleans Saints concerned about decline in Drew Brees

Originally Posted by SloMotion View Post
Here's your top three oldest starting QB's in the NFL, and coincidently three of your top QB's in the game (age approx. in 2015):

1. Peyton Manning, DEN (39)
2. Tom Brady, NE (38)
3. Drew Brees, NO (36)

Tony Romo's (DAL) 35, Phil Rivers (SD) & Roethlisberger (PIT) both 33, Eli's (NYG) 34 ... just sayin', doesn't seem like age is that big a factor in a QB's decline nowadays. Betcha' Manning/Brady are chasing a few George Blanda (OAK) longevity records,
Especially when you can only two hand touch them. By the time Roger is done with this game Qbs will be able to play until they draw social security.
Danno and RaginCajun83 like this.
darksoul35 is offline  
Old 06-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #36
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Land Mass between LA and AL
Posts: 4,299
Re: Report: New Orleans Saints concerned about decline in Drew Brees

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
Both of which just so happen to follow the decline in the offensive line..
and that is all
Mardigras9 is offline  
Old 06-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #37
Hou Saints Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 4,733
Re: Report: New Orleans Saints concerned about decline in Drew Brees

Jesus H Christ that had to be one of the worst articles written since 2012 about the Saints, stupid hack needs to be fired
RaginCajun83 is offline  
Old 06-09-2015, 04:23 AM   #38
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,444
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Report: New Orleans Saints concerned about decline in Drew Brees

Originally Posted by saintsfan1976 View Post
Sure arm strength is a little less.

But the "mental" thing... I don't agree at all. The only factor changing Drew mentality is 2-3 280lb players in his face before receivers get into their breaks.

Besides, he admitted trying to do "too much" to help the team win last year. At least he was trying....
I'm afraid I don't understand how you can disagree with the mental part. That isn't really even an opinion. It's a fact. Making bad decisions is mental. I'm not calling him a mental patient, just stating the obvious.

I know about guys baring down on him, and the wear factor is what I've been talking about with the physical part of his game. I made the point about the O-line several times in this thread.

When I say bad decisions, that has nothing to do with the instances where he's getting hit as he releases. I'm talking about throwing the ball into a crowd of defenders, staring down his main target (who is no longer here, of course) or trying some desperate underhanded shuffle right into the hands of a defender who was standing right in front him (can't remember which game it was, I just remember that play).

Those aren't plays that are indicative of the old Drew, and it has nothing to do with age. That's all about decision making, and you don't make decisions with your arms or legs. It's all upstairs. I didn't suggest he wasn't smart or that he was losing it, but he has definitely not been as sharp.

I also didn't say he wasn't trying. I know he is, and he's a stand up guy when he makes mistakes. None of that negates the point. If he's trying to do too much, then he's not playing smart. There is plenty of blame to go around for why he even feels that kind of pressure to do it all, but he's still got to take what's there and not force it. Turnovers have killed us.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline  
Old 06-09-2015, 09:11 AM   #39
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 79
Re: Report: New Orleans Saints concerned about decline in Drew Brees

Why is THIS still up??
Thirty3 is offline  
Old 07-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #40
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 12,511
Blog Entries: 23
Re: Report: New Orleans Saints concerned about decline in Drew Brees

Opposing coach on Drew Brees: 'He is just losing his juice'

This stuff just won't go away...
jeanpierre is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/72708-report-new-orleans-saints-concerned-about-decline-drew-brees.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest Garrett Grayson News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 06-09-2015 06:13 PM 1
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 06-06-2015 02:57 AM 1
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 06-06-2015 12:40 AM 11
Report: New Orleans Saints concerned about decline in Drew Brees This thread Refback 06-05-2015 11:23 PM 17


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts