Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Saints' Akiem Hicks was replaced in lineup Sunday

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Hicks did play at DT the last few years. He was bad....

Like Tree6Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 3,750
Re: Saints' Akiem Hicks was replaced in lineup Sunday

Hicks did play at DT the last few years. He was bad.
Danno likes this.
ChrisXVI is offline  
Old 09-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #12
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 21,154
Re: Saints' Akiem Hicks was replaced in lineup Sunday

Originally Posted by ChrisXVI View Post
Hicks did play at DT the last few years. He was bad.
Yes he was. He plays too high for inside.

His size, measurables and skillset are nearly perfect for a 3-4 DE.

Why he and Cam Jordan (who's size, measurables and skillset are nearly perfect for a 3-4 DE also) don't absolutely dominate in a 3-4 set confounds me.

If I drew up two perfect 3-4 DE's on paper, they would look exactly like Jordan and Hicks.

I just don't get it.
Danno is offline  
Old 09-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #13
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 3,750
Re: Saints' Akiem Hicks was replaced in lineup Sunday

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Yes he was. He plays too high for inside.

His size, measurables and skillset are nearly perfect for a 3-4 DE.

Why he and Cam Jordan (who's size, measurables and skillset are nearly perfect for a 3-4 DE also) don't absolutely dominate in a 3-4 set confounds me.

If I drew up two perfect 3-4 DE's on paper, they would look exactly like Jordan and Hicks.

I just don't get it.
Agreed. The last two years we supposedly were a 3-4 defense with Jordan and Hicks playing the 5 technique, but we never actually lined up like that. Then we gave up on it. I don't get it... But I'm positive putting Hicks at DE in a four man front is just dumb. More evidence of this team just not having any idea how to field a competent defense.
ChrisXVI is offline  
Old 09-23-2015, 09:09 PM   #14
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 4,252
Re: Saints' Akiem Hicks was replaced in lineup Sunday

Originally Posted by ChrisXVI View Post
Agreed. The last two years we supposedly were a 3-4 defense with Jordan and Hicks playing the 5 technique, but we never actually lined up like that. Then we gave up on it. I don't get it... But I'm positive putting Hicks at DE in a four man front is just dumb. More evidence of this team just not having any idea how to field a competent defense.
Well Johnson coaching is questionable and Vitt doesn't do any better with the lb.'s. Year after year our D is not very good at all under their way of doing things. I blame these 2 more than anybody. If our O line coach did as sad of a job as those 2 Payton would find someone to replace him, why don't Johnson and Vitt get the boot. I'm not high on Allen right now either. I'm all for getting rid of all of the D coaches and bring in some fresh people that can tune-up the D players, and as much as I like Ryan( he drew a bad hand) letting him go to.
halloween 65 is online now  
Old 09-23-2015, 09:11 PM   #15
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 3,750
Re: Saints' Akiem Hicks was replaced in lineup Sunday

Originally Posted by halloween 65 View Post
Well Johnson coaching is questionable and Vitt doesn't do any better with the lb.'s. Year after year our D is not very good at all under their way of doing things. I blame these 2 more than anybody. If our O line coach did as sad of a job as those 2 Payton would find someone to replace him, why don't Johnson and Vitt get the boot. I'm not high on Allen right now either. I'm all for getting rid of all of the D coaches and bring in some fresh people that can tune-up the D players, and as much as I like Ryan( he drew a bad hand) letting him go to.
Then you better hope Payton gets fired.
ChrisXVI is offline  
Old 09-23-2015, 09:36 PM   #16
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 4,252
Re: Saints' Akiem Hicks was replaced in lineup Sunday

Originally Posted by ChrisXVI View Post
Then you better hope Payton gets fired.
Paytons loyalty might be his down fall. Somethings got to give, a talent like Brees is hard to find and he's not a spring chicken any more.
halloween 65 is online now  
Old 09-23-2015, 11:41 PM   #17
Realist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mid City, New Orleans
Posts: 2,630
Re: Saints' Akiem Hicks was replaced in lineup Sunday

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
Coach em up Bill Johnson.

CharityMike is offline  
Old 09-23-2015, 11:44 PM   #18
Realist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mid City, New Orleans
Posts: 2,630
Re: Saints' Akiem Hicks was replaced in lineup Sunday

Originally Posted by halloween 65 View Post
Well Johnson coaching is questionable and Vitt doesn't do any better with the lb.'s. Year after year our D is not very good at all under their way of doing things. I blame these 2 more than anybody. If our O line coach did as sad of a job as those 2 Payton would find someone to replace him, why don't Johnson and Vitt get the boot. I'm not high on Allen right now either. I'm all for getting rid of all of the D coaches and bring in some fresh people that can tune-up the D players, and as much as I like Ryan( he drew a bad hand) letting him go to.
They don't get the boot because they are Paytons boys. They will leave when Payton leaves.
CharityMike is offline  
Old 09-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #19
Problem?
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,942
Re: Saints' Akiem Hicks was replaced in lineup Sunday

I don't understand what's wrong with our player development. Vaccaro, Jenkins, and Hicks all looked like promising impact players after their rookie years. There were also some other players that looked like they could be contributors for us as well and not only did they hit a wall, they've regressed significantly. Something has got to change if we continue in our downward spiral. As big as of a fan as I am of Payton, coaches come and go and are replaceable. Andy Reid, Mike Holgrem, Jeff Fisher, etc. were all top coaches that were eventually replaced. Sometimes a fresh start is best for everyone.

I hope we turn things around. Our window of realistically winning another championship has been shrinking by the day.
halloween 65 and K Major like this.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

All little common sense goes a long way.
papz is offline  
Old 09-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #20
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 4,252
Re: Saints' Akiem Hicks was replaced in lineup Sunday

Originally Posted by papz View Post
I don't understand what's wrong with our player development. Vaccaro, Jenkins, and Hicks all looked like promising impact players after their rookie years. There were also some other players that looked like they could be contributors for us as well and not only did they hit a wall, they've regressed significantly. Something has got to change if we continue in our downward spiral. As big as of a fan as I am of Payton, coaches come and go and are replaceable. Andy Reid, Mike Holgrem, Jeff Fisher, etc. were all top coaches that were eventually replaced. Sometimes a fresh start is best for everyone.

I hope we turn things around. Our window of realistically winning another championship has been shrinking by the day.
Can't say I disagree.
halloween 65 is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/74278-saints-akiem-hicks-replaced-lineup-sunday.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest Kasim Edebali News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 09-24-2015 09:48 AM 3
The Latest Bobby Richardson News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 09-23-2015 07:45 PM 1
Saints' Akiem Hicks was replaced in lineup Sunday This thread Refback 09-23-2015 03:37 PM 3
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 09-23-2015 01:46 PM 3


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts