Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Kenny Vacarro: People say Andrew Luck has deceptive speed because hes white

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; ...

Like Tree14Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #11
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 21,594
Blog Entries: 29
Re: Kenny Vacarro: People say Andrew Luck has deceptive speed because hes white

saintfan likes this.
SmashMouth is offline  
Old 10-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #12
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,556
Re: Kenny Vacarro: People say Andrew Luck has deceptive speed because hes white

Originally Posted by jnormand View Post
Really? Black athletes are more physically gifted and whities are just better educated?

Education, regardless of where its from, is a choice. Even a "bad school" can give someone an education. If that person chooses not to give a rats ass about school and not pay attention then that is their choice. "Education" and the choice to be proactive in it has nothing to do with skin color and everything to do with attitude. People shouldn't get a pass because they chose not to pay attention and make school a priority, regardless of skin color or educational system.

I don't believe in excuses.
It's not excuses. It's statistical fact. It's sociology. It's psychology. You can be intelligent and still not be well educated. To make a self righteous determination that outside factors should have no bearings on a person or peoples and one should be able to overcome all odds is pretty ridiculous. In the vast majority of cases, people DON'T overcome a life of poverty and poor education. Again, statistical fact. Family history, race, income, gender, sexual orientation, location, etc. They all play major and minor roles in the quality of one's life.

And when you're bored, find me the players with the best measurables in the NFL at every position. Give me the top 5 40 times, broad jumps, and vertical leaps at every position. All of them measure explosion.
SmashMouth likes this.
rezburna is offline  
Old 10-25-2015, 06:27 PM   #13
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Bay
Posts: 1,698
Re: Kenny Vacarro: People say Andrew Luck has deceptive speed because hes white

Jesus. Can we get back to football? #shutupandplayball
saintfan, SmashMouth and SloMotion like this.
WHODATINCA is offline  
Old 10-25-2015, 07:30 PM   #14
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,776
Blog Entries: 15
Re: Kenny Vacarro: People say Andrew Luck has deceptive speed because hes white

Originally Posted by WHODATINCA View Post
Jesus. Can we get back to football? #shutupandplayball
With some people it's all about playing the race card, #shrug. Those arguments about coming from poverty may have had some basis in fact back in the day, but most of these guys nowadays are coming from middle class or better families with the same or better advantages afforded them than their white brethren, but acknowledging that wouldn't be following "the narrative", .
SloMotion is offline  
Old 10-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #15
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Toilet of Idaho
Posts: 2,848
Re: Kenny Vacarro: People say Andrew Luck has deceptive speed because hes white

Originally Posted by rezburna View Post
It's not excuses. It's statistical fact. It's sociology. It's psychology. You can be intelligent and still not be well educated. To make a self righteous determination that outside factors should have no bearings on a person or peoples and one should be able to overcome all odds is pretty ridiculous. In the vast majority of cases, people DON'T overcome a life of poverty and poor education. Again, statistical fact. Family history, race, income, gender, sexual orientation, location, etc. They all play major and minor roles in the quality of one's life.

And when you're bored, find me the players with the best measurables in the NFL at every position. Give me the top 5 40 times, broad jumps, and vertical leaps at every position. All of them measure explosion.
Rez I respect your opinion but I don't agree. It just sounds like excuses to me. People can make something of themselves if they choose to. It may be harder for some than others but not impossible.

Just because someone grows up in the "hood" doesn't mean they have to bang. Just because someone has friends that do dope doesn't mean they have to do it. Just because someone goes to a lower end school doesn't mean they can't make their education a priority. And I'm sorry, the people getting college education is pretty good education. Better than what I can afford. I just don't like the excuses people make for underachieving in anything. My family was poor growing up. And all of us kids made something of ourselves and have been successful. It's about attitude. Not race. Anything else just sounds like an excuse to underachieve and to be lazy, not a reason.

But let's bury this convo as I'm sure we will not see eye to eye.
jnormand is offline  
Old 10-25-2015, 11:14 PM   #16
Im BACK!!!!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Barrio, H-town
Posts: 5,485
Re: Kenny Vacarro: People say Andrew Luck has deceptive speed because hes white

Originally Posted by rezburna View Post
-. We often confuse well educated with intelligence.
That is a most brilliant statement.
Educated, is simply someone who has received formal information, for better or worse. I am more than ever, questioning the information given the "educated," these days.

Intelligence is raw brain power, tapped, or untapped. You cannot measure it,
and it takes many forms, not just academic. Academics always insist they are the only intelligent beings. Many of them cannot change a tire.

Interesting idea presented and posted.
Lets dont let it become a needless, pointless, divisive fight, guys...
- just being preventive.

only 2 colors should matter to us. Black. and Gold.
SmashMouth and rezburna like this.
skymike is offline  
Old 10-26-2015, 12:15 AM   #17
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Haven Ct
Posts: 22,413
Re: Kenny Vacarro: People say Andrew Luck has deceptive speed because hes white

Say WHAT!!!! Not deceptive. Just because hes white doesnt mean hes deceptive. UM
QBREES9 is offline  
Old 10-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #18
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,556
Re: Kenny Vacarro: People say Andrew Luck has deceptive speed because hes white

Originally Posted by skymike View Post
That is a most brilliant statement.
Educated, is simply someone who has received formal information, for better or worse. I am more than ever, questioning the information given the "educated," these days.

Intelligence is raw brain power, tapped, or untapped. You cannot measure it,
and it takes many forms, not just academic. Academics always insist they are the only intelligent beings. Many of them cannot change a tire.

Interesting idea presented and posted.
Lets dont let it become a needless, pointless, divisive fight, guys...
- just being preventive.

only 2 colors should matter to us. Black. and Gold.
A psychologist named Umar Johnson brought that assessment to my attention when he was discussing the racial biases of the IQ test. He gave an in depth history on the test and it's purpose, which I'll spare you the details of for another day. Basically, he spoke on how there's 4 parts to an IQ test. 3 of which are rooted in raw brain power, which Black children and White children are usually equivalent. The last part is reading comprehension related, which is directly tied to the education you've received thus far. Thats where the white children significantly edge out the black children. I've done a plethora of in depth research over the years in order to be able to conduct these conversations with knowledge and civility instead of anger. Glad to see you understand where I'm coming from.
skymike likes this.
rezburna is offline  
Old 10-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #19
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,556
Re: Kenny Vacarro: People say Andrew Luck has deceptive speed because hes white

Originally Posted by SloMotion View Post
With some people it's all about playing the race card, #shrug. Those arguments about coming from poverty may have had some basis in fact back in the day, but most of these guys nowadays are coming from middle class or better families with the same or better advantages afforded them than their white brethren, but acknowledging that wouldn't be following "the narrative", .
The Black middle class is not growing my brother. It's shrinking. 22% of Blacks live in poverty, second only to the Native Americans at 25%. That doesn't include the percentage who are lower class. African Americans only account for 2.4% of the wealth in this country, and less then 1% of the land. This is not a narrative. It is statistical fact. The initial post is about racial bias against a white player, in which I agreed that saying his speed is deceptive has racially biased undertones. I just gave my opinion on the topic at hand my friend.
rezburna is offline  
Old 10-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #20
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,556
Re: Kenny Vacarro: People say Andrew Luck has deceptive speed because hes white

Originally Posted by jnormand View Post
Rez I respect your opinion but I don't agree. It just sounds like excuses to me. People can make something of themselves if they choose to. It may be harder for some than others but not impossible.

Just because someone grows up in the "hood" doesn't mean they have to bang. Just because someone has friends that do dope doesn't mean they have to do it. Just because someone goes to a lower end school doesn't mean they can't make their education a priority. And I'm sorry, the people getting college education is pretty good education. Better than what I can afford. I just don't like the excuses people make for underachieving in anything. My family was poor growing up. And all of us kids made something of ourselves and have been successful. It's about attitude. Not race. Anything else just sounds like an excuse to underachieve and to be lazy, not a reason.

But let's bury this convo as I'm sure we will not see eye to eye.
Of course, I respectfully disagee. I do greatly appreciate the elegance and tact of the response. Certainly no hard feelings. And I do agree that hardships know no color.
rezburna is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/74855-kenny-vacarro-people-say-andrew-luck-has-deceptive-speed-because-he-s.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest Andrew Luck News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 10-25-2015 05:05 AM 1
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 10-24-2015 11:27 PM 1
Kenny Vacarro: People say Andrew Luck has deceptive speed because hes white This thread Refback 10-24-2015 10:05 PM 2


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts