Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

So a scout said Peat was not a good pick

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by RaginCajun83 its LaCanfora, when was the last time he was right? La Canfora isn't the scout. He's writing about the scout....

Like Tree14Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #11
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,440
Blog Entries: 2
Re: So a scout said Peat was not a good pick

Originally Posted by RaginCajun83 View Post
its LaCanfora, when was the last time he was right?
La Canfora isn't the scout. He's writing about the scout.
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:21 PM   #12
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 21,154
Re: So a scout said Peat was not a good pick

Peat looked very good at times, and struggled at times.

There's no evidence either way about how good or bad he'll be.

My opinion is he's a typical rookie that looked lost at times, and looked great at times, which a lot of rookies do. The fact that he's looked good tells me he just needs to be more consistent and work on his game.

Picking the top 2 or 3 OT in any draft is never a bad idea.
Beastmode likes this.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:38 PM   #13
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 4,251
Re: So a scout said Peat was not a good pick

I expect him to step up alot more this season. He needs to validate that high pick we used on him.
halloween 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:43 PM   #14
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,310
Re: So a scout said Peat was not a good pick

I understand it. But, I've never been of fan of giving a 1st rd pick a pass because he's a rookie. If a team selects you in the first round, with the exception of a QB late, you should start and contribute from day 1. If not, it was a mistake to take you. You don't draft potential, except a QB, in the first round. You draft someone who you can plug in and play somewhere on your team.
MatthewT likes this.
Cruize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #15
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,102
Re: So a scout said Peat was not a good pick

I fully expect him to start this year
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:03 PM   #16
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,478
Re: So a scout said Peat was not a good pick

Originally Posted by Cruize View Post
I understand it. But, I've never been of fan of giving a 1st rd pick a pass because he's a rookie. If a team selects you in the first round, with the exception of a QB late, you should start and contribute from day 1. If not, it was a mistake to take you. You don't draft potential, except a QB, in the first round. You draft someone who you can plug in and play somewhere on your team.
It's all really hit and miss

You have first round picks that don't start straight away and you have late round picks that contribute straight away

I mean who among us could see Marques Colston, Jahri Evans, Carl Nicks and many others would make such a big contribution from the start.

For every one of those, your going to have a Andrus Peat and Robert Meachem, high draft pick that doesn't start straight away.
Cruize likes this.
dizzle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:03 PM   #17
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,440
Blog Entries: 2
Re: So a scout said Peat was not a good pick

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Peat looked very good at times, and struggled at times.

There's no evidence either way about how good or bad he'll be.

My opinion is he's a typical rookie that looked lost at times, and looked great at times, which a lot of rookies do. The fact that he's looked good tells me he just needs to be more consistent and work on his game.

Picking the top 2 or 3 OT in any draft is never a bad idea.
I guess we have different opinions on what great is. I didn't personally see anything close to greatness, even in flashes, out of him. When I form an opinion on a rookie, I do take into account the learning curve. But there is a certain level of play that should be expected of a high first rounder. I never thought he was good enough to be drafted that high in the first place. And from what I saw, he did not play up to what I would expect from that type of prospect.

I'm not calling him a bust yet. I'll let it play out. But I really think we'll be doing well if he just becomes solid.
halloween 65 likes this.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:10 PM   #18
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 4,251
Re: So a scout said Peat was not a good pick

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
I guess we have different opinions on what great is. I didn't personally see anything close to greatness, even in flashes, out of him. When I form an opinion on a rookie, I do take into account the learning curve. But there is a certain level of play that should be expected of a high first rounder. I never thought he was good enough to be drafted that high in the first place. And from what I saw, he did not play up to what I would expect from that type of prospect.

I'm not calling him a bust yet. I'll let it play out. But I really think we'll be doing well if he just becomes solid.
I'll take solid. I want to double up at G this draft though. Without solid line picks this year we could easily be in trouble next season.
halloween 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #19
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,605
Re: So a scout said Peat was not a good pick

So far I havent been impressed. Hopefully he'll be more improved this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
44Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:24 PM   #20
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 21,154
Re: So a scout said Peat was not a good pick

Its his 1st freaking year
He player LT all his life
He was late getting into camp per NFL rules
Was asked to play RT (completely different footwork)

Give the guy a break.

Its like saying we're gonna lose a game because our opening KO went out of bounds.
Beastmode and CharityMike like this.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/77739-so-scout-said-peat-not-good-pick.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 04-26-2016 04:40 PM 17
So a scout said Peat was not a good pick This thread Refback 04-26-2016 04:38 PM 9


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts