Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Underwhelmed

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Excited about Avery Young OT Auburn A switch to OG is just what the doctor orders. He does need work but length and athleticism is all there. I like this kids upside Ryker Mathews OT BYU I like this kids ...

Like Tree121Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #101
LB Mentallity
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,982
Blog Entries: 52
Re: Underwhelmed

Excited about
Avery Young OT Auburn
A switch to OG is just what the doctor orders. He does need work but length and athleticism is all there. I like this kids upside

Ryker Mathews OT BYU
I like this kids attitude and a switch back to OG might be perfect. Is he a swing lineman who can play either tackle or either guard positions? Played them all in college. Will he earn the title solid "sixth man" and maybe just maybe a candidate that offers starting potential award

Jack Allen C/OG Mich St
He was a surprise signing IMO. A very pleasant one. were he fits in the grand scheme of things has me perplexed. I could use players like this messing with my head more.

We will see?
Landon Turner OG UNC - I am not so gaga over him as many are. Not too sold on the upside hype either

Joseph Cheek OL Texas A&M - I do not know all that much about the kid
Danno, exile, MarchingOn and 1 others like this.

"We may have lost the game, but you'll be hurting tomorrow." Doug Atkins

Last edited by hagan714; 05-01-2016 at 10:04 AM..
hagan714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:01 PM   #102
Im BACK!!!!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Barrio, H-town
Posts: 5,485
Re: Underwhelmed

Originally Posted by CheramieIII View Post
Like I said before we picked the best DT, WR and Safety in the draft another DT, another 2 WR's, Lasco at RB, Turner, another tackle and several centers and guards for the O-Line and throw in the LB special teamer from Bama and I think we had a ROCK SOLID DRAFT and one we should all be proud of because the front office addressed EVERYTHING they had to and then some.
DAmn thats exciting, when you look at it that way, CherM. It sounds to me like we filled in the gaps w/ the UDFAs. I'm hearing great things about the undrafted guys this morning.

-- and they have me and you & 78,000 other ragin cajuns in the Dome gonna raise hell this fall. (tailgate party in houston! to kick it off)

How do you guys know all this sh!$ ????

...
skymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:58 PM   #103
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,103
Re: Underwhelmed

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Recent history is only 2015 and that one looked good. .
That's a false narrative and very few people on this board or anywhere else will agree that the only recent draft history is last year. Again, '11,'12,'14 there are 3 people left on our team, hence the back to back 7-9 seasons.
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #104
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 3,315
Re: Underwhelmed

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
That's a false narrative and very few people on this board or anywhere else will agree that the only recent draft history is last year. Again, '11,'12,'14 there are 3 people left on our team, hence the back to back 7-9 seasons.
That is not a false narrative because after the 2014-15 season the Saints fired college scouting director Rick Reiprish and several of his staff. This followed several years of very poor drafting. Reiprish was replaced by Jeff Ireland and several new fresh faces in the department. 2015 was the first and ONLY draft dependent upon this new group and it was arguably the best since 2006. Last year is truly the only relevant draft history.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #105
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 21,157
Re: Underwhelmed

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
That is not a false narrative because after the 2014-15 season the Saints fired college scouting director Rick Reiprish and several of his staff. This followed several years of very poor drafting. Reiprish was replaced by Jeff Ireland and several new fresh faces in the department. 2015 was the first and ONLY draft dependent upon this new group and it was arguably the best since 2006. Last year is truly the only relevant draft history.

And also this draft is the 1st with Dennis Allen as DC. We fired Reprish because his drafts sucked.

If 2015 and 2016 are any indication, I think we have the right guys calling the shots now. Or at least they're a heck of a lot better than 2007 thru 2014.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #106
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,103
Re: Underwhelmed

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
And also this draft is the 1st with Dennis Allen as DC. We fired Reprish because his drafts sucked.

If 2015 and 2016 are any indication, I think we have the right guys calling the shots now. Or at least they're a heck of a lot better than 2007 thru 2014.
I liked last year, I like our two mid guys this year a lot, but we don't really know yet. It is not a fact, yet, but what is a fact is that we have 3 players from '11.'12.'14. That doesn't fill me with confidence. I hope they're all studs, but I think any Saint fan questioning some of the selections is justified based off of recent history. Contrary to minority opinion, recent history does not include last year only.
jonnyrotten likes this.
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:48 PM   #107
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,103
Re: Underwhelmed

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
That is not a false narrative because after the 2014-15 season the Saints fired college scouting director Rick Reiprish and several of his staff. This followed several years of very poor drafting. Reiprish was replaced by Jeff Ireland and several new fresh faces in the department. 2015 was the first and ONLY draft dependent upon this new group and it was arguably the best since 2006. Last year is truly the only relevant draft history.
I could care less, the only way that would be a relevant argument is if we had an entirely new coaching staff and GM. We don't so no it is not applicable. That is a failed attempt to hide the mistakes the Saints have made in drafts between 2011-2014. Last year is too early to tell as is this year.
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:52 PM   #108
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 21,157
Re: Underwhelmed

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
I could care less, the only way that would be a relevant argument is if we had an entirely new coaching staff and GM. We don't so no it is not applicable. That is a failed attempt to hide the mistakes the Saints have made in drafts between 2011-2014. Last year is too early to tell as is this year.
I disagree. If your previous drafts sucked, and then you fired the guy in charge of those drafts and several of his scouts, then suddenly have the best draft in almost a decade with a new guy in charge of the drafts, I do think the previous drafts aren't relevant.
AsylumGuido and Seer1 like this.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:11 PM   #109
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,103
Re: Underwhelmed

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
I disagree. If your previous drafts sucked, and then you fired the guy in charge of those drafts and several of his scouts, then suddenly have the best draft in almost a decade with a new guy in charge of the drafts, I do think the previous drafts aren't relevant.
the two guys responsible for the draftS are still here, SP and ML, which is 100% why the previous drafts are relevant and should be to Saints fans, and why no one should be criticized for demonstrating concern over draft decisions. We were 7-9 back to back because of poor draft choices. Saints fans are completely justified to have concern.

Again, I like last years draft and really like the two Ohio State guys, but time will tell and I am not going to pretend ML and SP have not bad decisions.

I do agree with DA taking over, I like him a lot and I do expect our d to be better and more aggressive.

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?
Lombardi
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:42 PM   #110
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,977
Re: Underwhelmed

SP and ML pick the guys the scouts laid out. Also, SP and ML like to pick the underdogs. Which is why that Onyemata pick happened.
WillSaints81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/77809-underwhelmed.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Underwhelmed This thread Refback 04-30-2016 02:22 PM 7
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 04-30-2016 01:53 PM 8


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts