Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Despite common narrative, Saints do not necessarily build offensive line from inside out

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; The offense better be improved though oline and weapons more than defense....

Like Tree13Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2016, 02:03 AM   #21
Threaded by WillSaints81
1000 Posts +
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,955

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

The offense better be improved though oline and weapons more than defense.
Views: 1359
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:13 AM   #22
LB Mentallity
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,964
Blog Entries: 52
Re: Despite common narrative, Saints do not necessarily build offensive line from inside out

after all the readings posted here I am still in belief the saints have, since the super bowl, rolled the dice year after year on the OL. results have been one thing. each year drew gets hammered. Bo longer is Drew on the least sacked QB in the NFL. Points and all the other stats mean nothing. You have to protect your 20 million dollar investment. One way to do that is run the ball.

Running the ball is another things the saints have not been able to do in recent years. All the passes I give Ingram has to do with the OL. Defenses are not worried about our run game and pin their ears back on almost every play.

Saints once again are playing it cute on the OL and one day it will side line Drew. As Drew goes so do the saints
Rugby Saint II likes this.

"We may have lost the game, but you'll be hurting tomorrow." Doug Atkins
hagan714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #23
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 2,540
Re: Despite common narrative, Saints do not necessarily build offensive line from inside out

Originally Posted by WillSaints81 View Post
Are we expecting a defense that can play a whole half constantly on the field non-stop with no breaks in between?
Nope, and that wasn't the case last year. The Saints were 6th in time of possession.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...sion-net-of-ot
SaintFanInATLHELL likes this.
Utah_Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #24
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,955
Re: Despite common narrative, Saints do not necessarily build offensive line from inside out

First half TOP?^
WillSaints81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #25
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 2,540
Re: Despite common narrative, Saints do not necessarily build offensive line from inside out

Originally Posted by WillSaints81 View Post
First half TOP?^
Yes, the Saints first half time of possession last year averaged 31 minutes 20 seconds.
Utah_Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:42 PM   #26
The Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lithonia, GA
Posts: 1,721
Re: Despite common narrative, Saints do not necessarily build offensive line from inside out

Originally Posted by WillSaints81 View Post
The offense better be improved though oline and weapons more than defense.
Of course. But the point is an improved offensive line may turn an A- offense into an A+ one.

But on the flip side even an A+ offense cannot carry a F- defense.

SFIAH
SaintFanInATLHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #27
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 21,144
Re: Despite common narrative, Saints do not necessarily build offensive line from inside out

Originally Posted by SaintFanInATLHELL View Post
Of course. But the point is an improved offensive line may turn an A- offense into an A+ one.

But on the flip side even an A+ offense cannot carry a F- defense.

SFIAH
And obviously, perhaps the front office knows that defensive talent wasn't really the problem.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #28
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 14,355
Re: Despite common narrative, Saints do not necessarily build offensive line from inside out

Originally Posted by hagan714 View Post
after all the readings posted here I am still in belief the saints have, since the super bowl, rolled the dice year after year on the OL. results have been one thing. each year drew gets hammered. Bo longer is Drew on the least sacked QB in the NFL. Points and all the other stats mean nothing. You have to protect your 20 million dollar investment. One way to do that is run the ball.

Running the ball is another things the saints have not been able to do in recent years. All the passes I give Ingram has to do with the OL. Defenses are not worried about our run game and pin their ears back on almost every play.

Saints once again are playing it cute on the OL and one day it will side line Drew. As Drew goes so do the saints
Defense wins Championships. It's a worn out phrase but it is oh so true. Still, Drew needs a run game and time to pass if we want to be competitive. For God's sake we've got Drew and need to protect him so the defense isn't on the field all game long.
Rugby Saint II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:52 AM   #29
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,955
Re: Despite common narrative, Saints do not necessarily build offensive line from inside out

Originally Posted by Utah_Saint View Post
Yes, the Saints first half time of possession last year averaged 31 minutes 20 seconds.
Tampa Bay
Philadelphia
Atlanta
Houston
Carolina(one offensive TD)
Detroit


The 2008 saints would not play like that and the defense gave up record numbers because, well, the defense was on the field 30 minutes a game. Defense needs to improve but last year if our offense was good defense would probably be as good or better than the 2008 defense.
WillSaints81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:41 AM   #30
The Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lithonia, GA
Posts: 1,721
Re: Despite common narrative, Saints do not necessarily build offensive line from inside out

Originally Posted by WillSaints81 View Post
Tampa Bay
Philadelphia
Atlanta
Houston
Carolina(one offensive TD)
Detroit


The 2008 saints would not play like that and the defense gave up record numbers because, well, the defense was on the field 30 minutes a game. Defense needs to improve but last year if our offense was good defense would probably be as good or better than the 2008 defense.
I'm just going to have to call this for what it is: nonsensical wishful thinking. I've presented numerous times statistical evidence that the Saints offense cannot carry the defense no matter how good it is. Yet you continue to insist that some marginal offensive improvement is somehow going to turn everything around.

All you need to do is look at the scores from last season to see that that strategy isn't going to work. The Saints were 1-6 last season when they gave up 30 or more points. OTOH they were 5-0 when giving up 21 points or less. They were 1-3 in shootouts, where both the offense scored more then their season average and the defense gave up more of their season average. The bottom line is that the only game they were successful in scoring more points is the Giants game.

More offense isn't the solution. When you are 5-0 when holding the opposition to 21 or less and 2-9 when giving up 24 points or more, then the sole goal should be to hold opponents scoring down.

I presume you are referring to the 2009 SB champs instead of the 2008 8-8 squad. The difference between those two years is exactly what I have been referring to. The offense got a bit better. But the defense in 2009 held scoring to 21.3 PPG and had 39 takeaways. The offense didn't carry that defense. The defense in fact created the conditions for that offense to be as successful as it was. The high 3rd down percentage and the takeaways facilitated more opportunities for the offense. Holding the scoring down facilitated more opportunities to run the ball.

I'm sure you have the causality backwards. You seem certain that the great offenses of the Saints in the last 10 years have been because of the offense. But if you go back and look at the most successful years from 2006 until now, the strong correlation is that the offensive output was improved when the defense did their job.

SFIAH

Super Bowl Championships New Orleans Saints:1, Atlanta:0, Carolina:0

Life is good.
SaintFanInATLHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/78008-despite-common-narrative-saints-do-not-necessarily-build-offensive-line-inside-out.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest NFL News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 05-16-2016 09:05 PM 1
Despite common narrative, Saints do not necessarily build offensive line from inside out This thread Refback 05-16-2016 09:02 PM 1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts