Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Garrett Grayson's poise, control showing improvement in second season

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Itís hard to gain confidence from your teammates when they can tell you arenít confident in yourself.Ē It canít be faked. The other faces in the huddle can see through you ó especially at quarterback. Itís almost impossible to find ...

Like Tree15Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2016, 06:59 AM   #1
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 21,590
Blog Entries: 29
Garrett Grayson's poise, control showing improvement in second season

Itís hard to gain confidence from your teammates when they can tell you arenít confident in yourself.Ē

It canít be faked. The other faces in the huddle can see through you ó especially at quarterback. Itís almost impossible to find success when the players looking to you to lead hear you bumbling through play calls or see your head spinning.

ďIf they look at you and youíre not really confident about what youíre doing, then theyíre not going to be confident in what theyíre doing and theyíre not going to be confident in you,Ē Saints backup quarterback Luke McCown said.

Thatís where Garrett Grayson was at this time last season. He struggled calling the plays. The playbook was still new to him. Things were happening faster than he could process them. It was rough.

In other words, he was enduring the bumps and bruises that rookies are expected to endure. Still, that didnít make it easy. But after spending a year in the classroom and learning under McCown and Drew Brees, Grayson has returned to the Saints a more confident player.

His head isnít spinning. He understands what heís supposed to be doing. Heís confident in the huddle. Heís ready to take charge of whatever group of players heís leading during practices.



ĒI want to take command of the guys,Ē Grayson said. ĒThat was something I donít know if I necessarily know if I did the right way late year because I didnít really know the offense that well. I donít want to say I was timid, but I wasnít really commanding guys like you should.Ē

It took Grayson a while to get to that point. He wasnít there the last time anyone outside of the organization saw him on the field. Even last preseason, when he completed half of his passes for 334 yards with zero touchdowns and a pair of picks, he was still trying to figure things out.

It wasnít until about the midway point last season that he started feeling confident with the system, and he continued to work at it throughout the offseason. He said each day heíd pick a play, concept or defense and spend a day dissecting it until he understood everything about it.

read more

Said Pope Benedict: "WOW ... that ring is bigger than mine!!!"

SmashMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
Site Donor 2016
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,979
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Garrett Grayson's poise, control showing improvement in second season

Well there you have it. Someone actually working to become better at football. What a concept. You guys get paid a lot of money so should be confident as hell all the time. lol
CheramieIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:54 AM   #3
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,482
Re: Garrett Grayson's poise, control showing improvement in second season

If Brees starts wanting multi millions again when we need to start thinking of the future then I wouldn't be angry at Grayson being given a shot.
dizzle88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #4
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 3,315
Re: Garrett Grayson's poise, control showing improvement in second season

Originally Posted by dizzle88 View Post
If Brees starts wanting multi millions again when we need to start thinking of the future then I wouldn't be angry at Grayson being given a shot.
It sounds as if you have no issue with having a crappy product on the field for the sake of money that isn't coming out of your pocket. As a fan you, and I, have not got any clue as to the value of players. The fixation on what individual players get paid is pointless. As fans we should want the very best players on the field. Who the hell cares what the man's check looks like? I want to know that he has the ability to make my team as good as it can be. Brees could decline for the next five years and still most likely be a better option than Grayson five years from now.

With the way the cap is exploding due to increasing revenue streams and with all of the dead cap rolling off the Saints books following this season money is not an issue. That said, why in the hell should it EVER be an issue for the fan? Don't forget, we are ignorant in the scheme of things. Some more ignorant than others.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #5
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 4,256
Re: Garrett Grayson's poise, control showing improvement in second season

Originally Posted by dizzle88 View Post
If Brees starts wanting multi millions again when we need to start thinking of the future then I wouldn't be angry at Grayson being given a shot.
I got a good feeling about Greyson. Payton is pretty much a qb guru and if he would feel that Greyson could lead the Saints so be it. It wasn't very pretty at first when Rodgers took over in Green Bay but they got their franchise qb. If Greyson is ready by next season I couldn't see a big contract given to Brees. Your right about the future.
halloween 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,482
Re: Garrett Grayson's poise, control showing improvement in second season

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
It sounds as if you have no issue with having a crappy product on the field for the sake of money that isn't coming out of your pocket. As a fan you, and I, have not got any clue as to the value of players. The fixation on what individual players get paid is pointless. As fans we should want the very best players on the field. Who the hell cares what the man's check looks like? I want to know that he has the ability to make my team as good as it can be. Brees could decline for the next five years and still most likely be a better option than Grayson five years from now.

With the way the cap is exploding due to increasing revenue streams and with all of the dead cap rolling off the Saints books following this season money is not an issue. That said, why in the hell should it EVER be an issue for the fan? Don't forget, we are ignorant in the scheme of things. Some more ignorant than others.
Brees is my all time favourite Saint and I love the guy for what he's done for our team.

However, nobody and I mean nobody is bigger than the team, Brees is the best shot we have at winning, but he can't hold the team to ransom every time a contract comes up, our failures in other areas become more apparent and they need to be addressed.

The way the last contract dispute went on was ludicrous, especially considering Brees knew we were without Payton for the whole year and still chose to be play hard ball.

Two year extension somewhere around 20 mil a year would be about right for me, he has to accept that the defense needs upgrading because we don't have a guy coaching the defense with the plug and play capacity as Sean Payton does for the offense.

Your bonehead creator picked a fine chapter to omit from your memory bank....let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear? - Vegeta, DBZ
dizzle88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 3,315
Re: Garrett Grayson's poise, control showing improvement in second season

Originally Posted by dizzle88 View Post
Brees is my all time favourite Saint and I love the guy for what he's done for our team.

However, nobody and I mean nobody is bigger than the team, Brees is the best shot we have at winning, but he can't hold the team to ransom every time a contract comes up, our failures in other areas become more apparent and they need to be addressed.

The way the last contract dispute went on was ludicrous, especially considering Brees knew we were without Payton for the whole year and still chose to be play hard ball.

Two year extension somewhere around 20 mil a year would be about right for me, he has to accept that the defense needs upgrading because we don't have a guy coaching the defense with the plug and play capacity as Sean Payton does for the offense.
Brees has NEVER held the team to ransom. Where the heck are you getting that idea? He originally signed a 6 year $60M contract which even at the time was low. His next, and last, deal was for five years at $20M per year which very quickly became no more than average for the average starter in the league.

And it appears that you have no clue what that whole last contract year was all about. It has been explained on this site by myself and others dozens of times. The entire ordeal had nothing whatsoever to do with the contract terms. It all came down to the NFLPA and the league fighting over the definition of a second franchise tag. Brees was simply the Guinea pig in the case. Within one week after the case was resolved Brees was signed. It had nothing to do with his playing any sort of hardball. He got what he deserved and no more.

And it does not matter in the least what kind of deal sounds right to you. You are not involved and have nowhere near enough knowledge on the financial or personnel related issue as to when, why or what will eventually take place. NONE of us do. You have clearly been brainwashed as to the importance of any single contract on the ability of a franchise to make other deals by the media, of whom I can testify personally are infinitely less qualified in matters of finance than your average middle income individual, or by other fans who rely upon what that media feeds them.
SaintFanInATLHELL likes this.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #8
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 3,315
Re: Garrett Grayson's poise, control showing improvement in second season

Originally Posted by halloween 65 View Post
I got a good feeling about Greyson. Payton is pretty much a qb guru and if he would feel that Greyson could lead the Saints so be it. It wasn't very pretty at first when Rodgers took over in Green Bay but they got their franchise qb. If Greyson is ready by next season I couldn't see a big contract given to Brees. Your right about the future.
What gives you a good feeling about Grayson? He isn't even good enough to win the back-up job. Comparing him to Rodgers is silly. Coming out of college it was clear that Rodgers had far more potential than Grayson had ever shown. Rodgers was highly touted and drafted to be the eventual starter and was the back-up to Favre from day one. Grayson is, and has has never been more than, the token QB picked up with the hope that one day they may be able to elevate to a position of back-up. He has no more going for him than any other #3 QB the Saints have entertained since Brees took the helm.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #9
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,482
Re: Garrett Grayson's poise, control showing improvement in second season

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Brees has NEVER held the team to ransom. Where the heck are you getting that idea? He originally signed a 6 year $60M contract which even at the time was low. His next, and last, deal was for five years at $20M per year which very quickly became no more than average for the average starter in the league.

And it appears that you have no clue what that whole last contract year was all about. It has been explained on this site by myself and others dozens of times. The entire ordeal had nothing whatsoever to do with the contract terms. It all came down to the NFLPA and the league fighting over the definition of a second franchise tag. Brees was simply the Guinea pig in the case. Within one week after the case was resolved Brees was signed. It had nothing to do with his playing any sort of hardball. He got what he deserved and no more.

And it does not matter in the least what kind of deal sounds right to you. You are not involved and have nowhere near enough knowledge on the financial or personnel related issue as to when, why or what will eventually take place. NONE of us do. You have clearly been brainwashed as to the importance of any single contract on the ability of a franchise to make other deals by the media, of whom I can testify personally are infinitely less qualified in matters of finance than your average middle income individual, or by other fans who rely upon what that media feeds them.
So I give my opinion, none of it being harsh or anyway rude towards you and what do you do?

You come back with a message filled with self satisfaction and make it verbally abusive to the point where now I "don't have clue" what I'm talking about.

Congratulations buddy, hope being a keyboard warrior makes you feel powerful.
dizzle88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:17 PM   #10
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 3,315
Re: Garrett Grayson's poise, control showing improvement in second season

Originally Posted by dizzle88 View Post
So I give my opinion, none of it being harsh or anyway rude towards you and what do you do?

You come back with a message filled with self satisfaction and make it verbally abusive to the point where now I "don't have clue" what I'm talking about.

Congratulations buddy, hope being a keyboard warrior makes you feel powerful.
Yes, you gave your opinion on what you think is fair, be what it may, but this little tidbit it where I have the issue ...

he has to accept that the defense needs upgrading
No player has any obligation to willingly get paid far below market value solely because of some misconception that it is their fault the franchise has continuously made bad decisions on the defensive side of the ball both through the draft and through free agency. The are a handful of members around here who readily tend to place the blame on the best player our franchise has ever seen and to this day still remains our best chance to return to the Super Bowl anytime within the foreseeable future.

I repeat what I said, you do not have a clue. None of us have a clue, but to misguidedly place blame where it clearly does not belong is ridiculous.
SaintFanInATLHELL likes this.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/78249-garrett-graysons-poise-control-showing-improvement-second-season.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest Garrett Grayson News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 06-04-2016 10:02 PM 5
The Latest Luke McCown News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 06-04-2016 09:45 PM 1
Garrett Grayson's poise, control showing improvement in second season This thread Refback 06-04-2016 10:20 AM 1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts