Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Pay Brees!

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by spkb25 This is why you're an absolute idiot...important has nothing to do with it. It is all about what someone is willing to pay you. Whether you like that or agree with that is utterly irrelevant. When ...

Like Tree58Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2016, 12:44 AM   #71
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,258
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Pay Brees!

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
This is why you're an absolute idiot...important has nothing to do with it. It is all about what someone is willing to pay you. Whether you like that or agree with that is utterly irrelevant. When you purchase a team you can spend your money how you choose, but since you do not own the Saints you have literally no say in how they conduct their business.

Next, people choose to spend money on the Saints. It is their choice and you or I have absolutely no ability to dictate to others how they spend their money. That is the reason that Drew can be paid this amount of money because people choose to purchase the product.

You discussing importance is asinine. People aren't paid by their importance, they're paid per their market value because the business earner determines what their value is based off of what they can do for them.

It is like you exist in some Utopian wet ****ing dream instead of reality
You know what? 'guido and I argue a lot, but I have to say after reading this comment that you are the one I have the least amount of respect for on this board. Calling me an idiot is classless and childish. But I'm a big boy, I can handle your name calling.

The bigger reason is that you are a complete waffler. One day you're on one side of this subject and the next day you do a complete 180. When the season starts and Drew has a bad game, you'll say that you love Drew but he might be nearing the end. So I'm not sure what makes you think you are qualified to even make a judgement against me.

And since you want to resort to nastiness, I won't stoop to your level, but I will point something out. You have shown zero ability to understand anything I have said. You're beating a dead horse, and just randomly telling anyone you disagree with that they have no clue, or in this case calling me an idiot. You don't understand any part of what I'm trying to say. All you seem to get out of it is that I'm a massive Brees hater (which is ridiculous) and therefore everything I say is just stupid, and you don't read anything else. Sound about right?

So let me make it clear, one more time, since you keep ignoring it. I'm not talking about the business aspect of what a player "deserves" or is "worth". I wouldn't pay Drew more than 25 million if it were up to me, which of course it isn't. But some have suggested that he deserves whatever he wants because of what he has meant, and blah blah. That makes me nauseated, considering what he's already made. That's why I pointed out that nothing these athletes do is so important that we should feel indebted to them and just pay whatever. I can think of people who deserve much more and don't get it. SOOOO, with that in mind I don't get caught up in what Drew has done. I appreciate what he has done. But I think if you are the Saints it might not be wise to go higher than 25 million, or to give him many years.

And here's the thing... They might not. We just don't know what kind of money is being discussed. It's purely hypothetical. All of our discussion is hypothetical. Does that make sense?

By the way, I'm not "dictating" what the Saints should spend. I'm giving my opinion. For all you know, the Saints might have the same numbers in their collective heads that I have, or close to it. Common sense tells you there is only so much you can pay any one player. Either they don't agree with his asking price, or perhaps waiting to see how he performs this year (letting him hit the open market could allow a very QB hungry team to offer Brees an astronomical number). Either way, that tells you the Saints obviously have some hang up, which makes any assumption that the Saints will automatically pay him market value a bit premature.

I live in no alternate reality or "wet dream". It was a simple side bar comment that you decided to blow up into a toxic nuclear catastrophe. Freaking chill out.
saintshrimp likes this.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:01 AM   #72
The Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lithonia, GA
Posts: 1,691
Re: Pay Brees!

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
I feel like a broken record having to say this over and over. And before I continue, let me make sure you understand that this is not meant to be condescending towards you. You are making a point based strictly on market value, of which I fully understand how it works. I'm arguing against the opinion that he is necessarily worth, or owed market value. We disagree on that, and that's fine. But the real disconnect here, is that you are going the long way of explaining the market, when that isn't real the point here. You should be worth what your performance states you are worth in comparison to the other players' salaries. He's worth being paid as one of the best, but he's not THE best. And without knowing for sure, I feel pretty confident that's what his agent is trying to get him paid like. That's the agent's job.

He might be out performing 25 year old's now but for how long? And I think a lot of fans are over estimating his performance. He throws a ton of passes, and has been quite turnover prone in recent years. Points per game are well down. Not all of that is his fault as he has taken a beating. He's still a top QB, but is he top 5 in terms of efficiency? I'm, not so sure, and it's the beating he keeps taking that makes me worry about his future. The line needed to be addressed. It was not. That needs to be addressed, in my opinion, before dealing out another mega contract.
The problem is that there's no time to do that now. The Saints are not going to be able to compete with "we need a QB stat!" teams in the open market. And honestly the Saints have made some attempts at addressing the line issues including trading for Unger and drafting Peat.

As for efficiency, Football Outsiders has a chart of QB metrics for last year:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | QUARTERBACKS 2015

Brees was ranked 3rd in total QBR and 6th and 7th respectively in DVOR and DVOA.
Again, in terms in terms of market value, I don't think any team should be held hostage by whatever the going rate is. It should be based on performance vs. peers. Instead it has become a quagmire of average QB's making tons of money just because they wanted a shiner toy than the other guy got. It's ridiculous. And I blame the irresponsibility of the GM's who have helped create this nightmare. Drew deserves to be paid exactly what his performance suggests. When they gave him that last contract, he was the highest paid player. He's been up and down over the duration of that deal. So did he earn it? Not really, but he did GET that money. We all know with the way the market plays, that he will probably become the highest paid player in the league again, until someone passes him up 5 minutes later. Is he worth highest paid player when he hasn't been the best QB in the league? In reality, no. But will the Saints pay up anyway? We'll see.
That argument certainly would hold water for other QBs. But Brees run for the last 10 years is unprecedented. He isn't average by any stretch of the imagination. And on QB performance, he should be at the very top of the QB pay list.

Now the Saints have been up and down over the duration of that deal. But Brees has not.
He's averaging 5000 yards passing, 36.8 TDs, and a passer rating of 99.8 from 2012 to 2015 over the current length of the contract. So other than the 19 INTs in 2012 where exactly are the "ups and downs" you refer to?
Or maybe, just maybe, they can settle somewhere in the middle. I have no idea. I'm just tired of hearing things like "we were nothing before he got here, so he deserves whatever he wants". People find this mean spirited when I say this, perhaps, but it's just life. You don't pay a guy whatever he wants just because of what he's meant. You have to pay him based on what you think he can do going forward. I hope he can stay at this level for another 4 or 5 years. Or even more. But I'm reacting to all the panicking about Drew by fans who seem to think that there can never be life beyond him, and that the Saints should just cave in.

I know our other QB's aren't real good. But maybe that's an indictment on this team's ability to prepare for the future. Somehow the Patriots won 11 games with Matt freaking Cassel. Matt Flynn one threw 6 touchdowns in place of Aaron Rodgers. Good teams can't make excuses, and they can't afford to get desperate. They should be prepared.
But it's clear that they are not. And even if they were prepared, as I stated before this run is unprecedented.

I found an article that mirrors our discussion and refers to Brees explicitly. Describes it as a dilemma.

https://theringer.com/nfl-new-era-ol...ed4#.w7y03lehd

The article points out this is really new territory in the NFL. There just hasn't been an elite healthy 38 year old QB near the top of the league in the free agent market before.

BTW I don't think that Brees is asking for everything in the world. But it makes no sense for him to sign a below market contract either.

I get that you don't like the market. But that dislike doesn't change it. If Brees keeps up close to the same production that he's had the last 10 years, and the Saints make the decision not to sign him, then many teams next year will see Brees for his production: A HOF caliber 38 year old QB.

SFIAH

Super Bowl Championships New Orleans Saints:1, Atlanta:0, Carolina:0

Life is good.
SaintFanInATLHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:16 AM   #73
The Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lithonia, GA
Posts: 1,691
Re: Pay Brees!

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
I would rather not see it come to the point of Drew leaving. I think that's pretty obvious that we don't want that. But if this coaching staff and front office can't properly prepare for life after Drew then maybe we should be discussing THIER worth. Tom Brady sure wasn't a great college QB, but they developed him, and as I mentioned before, they won even without him. I look at the Ravens and see that they won two super bowls with Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco. I think back to last year when Peyton Manning resembled Danny Wuerfful, and his team still won the Superbowl. There are other ways of winning. Allocate money wherever you have to in order to be successful, and more importantly, have the ability to develop players within your system.
The difference in all of your examples is that each and every one of those teams carried a top 5 defense. The Saints defense in the last two years has been so bad that literally rank 35 out of 32 teams in many categories. Historically bad. 3-13 or 2-14 bad. Yet the Saints went 7-9 and amazingly actually had a chance to make the playoffs in 2014.

And I think you are still missing a critical point... moving on..

Throwing for 48,000 yards doesn't mean what it used to. Again, he's still very good, but when you throw as much as the Saints do, you will have yards. They finished middle of the pack in points per game. And as long as we're paying Drew the kind of money people say he's worth, then that's not going to cut it. He needs some help. I have high hopes for the young guys on defense, but I can't say the same for the people who are in charge of keeping him conscious, up front.
I call BS on your tons of yards comments. Brees has been a master of being efficient completing the ball and having a high yards per attempt. There is a reason that Brees has 4 of the 8 5000 yard seasons and why no other QB has more than 1. Even in today's NFL if 5000 yards was simple then a ton of QBs would attain it.

Back to the critical point, which is Brees is still playing at an elite level. So preparing for life after Brees really isn't the crucial item. Preparing to support Brees in another SuperBowl run soon certainly should be.

SFIAH
AsylumGuido likes this.

Super Bowl Championships New Orleans Saints:1, Atlanta:0, Carolina:0

Life is good.
SaintFanInATLHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:17 AM   #74
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,258
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Pay Brees!

Originally Posted by SaintFanInATLHELL View Post
The problem is that there's no time to do that now. The Saints are not going to be able to compete with "we need a QB stat!" teams in the open market. And honestly the Saints have made some attempts at addressing the line issues including trading for Unger and drafting Peat.

As for efficiency, Football Outsiders has a chart of QB metrics for last year:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | QUARTERBACKS 2015

Brees was ranked 3rd in total QBR and 6th and 7th respectively in DVOR and DVOA.


That argument certainly would hold water for other QBs. But Brees run for the last 10 years is unprecedented. He isn't average by any stretch of the imagination. And on QB performance, he should be at the very top of the QB pay list.

Now the Saints have been up and down over the duration of that deal. But Brees has not.
He's averaging 5000 yards passing, 36.8 TDs, and a passer rating of 99.8 from 2012 to 2015 over the current length of the contract. So other than the 19 INTs in 2012 where exactly are the "ups and downs" you refer to?


But it's clear that they are not. And even if they were prepared, as I stated before this run is unprecedented.

I found an article that mirrors our discussion and refers to Brees explicitly. Describes it as a dilemma.

https://theringer.com/nfl-new-era-ol...ed4#.w7y03lehd

The article points out this is really new territory in the NFL. There just hasn't been an elite healthy 38 year old QB near the top of the league in the free agent market before.

BTW I don't think that Brees is asking for everything in the world. But it makes no sense for him to sign a below market contract either.

I get that you don't like the market. But that dislike doesn't change it. If Brees keeps up close to the same production that he's had the last 10 years, and the Saints make the decision not to sign him, then many teams next year will see Brees for his production: A HOF caliber 38 year old QB.

SFIAH
I didn't say that Brees is average. Refer to my most recent reply to you, and I have addressed most of your points. I merely brought up that what is considered "value" has been more about panic an over paying mediocrity than anything to do with production. I understand that my dislike for the market won't change it, and I didn't suggest that anyone will change it, regardless of my opinion. Again, it's going over that market that I think would be unwise, and it's what some have suggested that not only we COULD, but SHOULD do. And obviously I disagree with that.

In reference to the ups and downs, yes, I am talking about turnovers for one. It's not just INT's. He fumbles a lot as well, and also we throw a lot more short yardage plays in place of running the ball, because for much the past several years we can't run. That has kept his yardage total up and lead to lower yards per attempt and ultimately is not leading to more points. He's also been very good a fair amount of that time, hence why I say UPS and downs. I'm not telling you he's been awful.

I'm truly not sure how this small point on my part has turned into two or three pages of discussion.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:52 AM   #75
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,258
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Pay Brees!

Originally Posted by SaintFanInATLHELL View Post
The difference in all of your examples is that each and every one of those teams carried a top 5 defense. The Saints defense in the last two years has been so bad that literally rank 35 out of 32 teams in many categories. Historically bad. 3-13 or 2-14 bad. Yet the Saints went 7-9 and amazingly actually had a chance to make the playoffs in 2014.

And I think you are still missing a critical point... moving on..



I call BS on your tons of yards comments. Brees has been a master of being efficient completing the ball and having a high yards per attempt. There is a reason that Brees has 4 of the 8 5000 yard seasons and why no other QB has more than 1. Even in today's NFL if 5000 yards was simple then a ton of QBs would attain it.

Back to the critical point, which is Brees is still playing at an elite level. So preparing for life after Brees really isn't the crucial item. Preparing to support Brees in another SuperBowl run soon certainly should be.

SFIAH
Yes, I know the defense was bad. And I know that those other teams had top defenses. Why do you think I brought them up as examples? That was my point.

It means that you don't have to panic because there aren't QB's on the market. Build a freaking defense, build an offensive line. Be physical up front like all championship teams are. Be creative. For all the money they pay Brees, and for all his stats, this team misses the playoffs just as often as they make it. I'm not blaming that on Drew. I'm illuminating the fact that obviously there is something missing, and perhaps a different philosophy is needed. It's merely a thought. We can win with Drew if they can keep him upright, have some balance on offense and stop some teams on the other side. But that's obvious.

Unfortunately, they don't keep him upright enough, they don't run very effectively, aside from a couple of good games, and they don't stop anybody. If they can't afford to pay him, they could theoretically fix some of the other issues and be competitive that way. I'd rather have Drew, but I'm trying to be real. I think he stays, but it's not all about him. This is more reflective of my lack of confidence in the organization in recent years. When you go 7-9 three out of four years (yes I know one was without Payton, but that team still should have been a little better) and make several bad mistakes in free agency and the draft, you've clearly got some issues.

You brought up the fact that they traded for Unger and drafted Peat. But those were both last off-season. We had a full year to see how well that worked out. And Unger was good. We know Armstead is good. I never liked the Peat selection, and not only was he bad last year, I haven't heard glowing things about him this off-season, either. The revolving door at guard has been terrible, and Strief is a decent backup who is still having to start.

But this is what we're going to have this year, again. And I'm not sure what you're going on about with the 5,000 yards argument. No, only a couple have done that other than Brees, but a TON of 4,500 to 4,800 type seasons are being thrown around by several QB's.

Yes Drew has been one of the best throughout his career in accuracy and yards per attempt. I didn't say he wasn't! Stop being offended by any comment that doesn't kiss his butt. Honestly. It's a little ridiculous how worked up some of you get about Drew. I'm trying hard to be patient and not get angry, but this is just going over the top.

He has been among the best. However, I see more and more dink and dunk every year. And it is leading to middle of the pack in points. I pointed that out in the last post and you completely ignored it. Instead you went right to the stats. So the defense makes us score less points? The Saints averaged more points per game in 2002 with Aaron Brooks AND a bad defense. And went 9-7, not 7-9. AND that was still before many of the wuss rules had come out and made the game what it is today.

So please, let's not act like many of the stats we see today aren't inflated. Drew was once THE best in the league, in my opinion, and is still one of the better. But we're not winning. I feel better about this years team, I truly do. But I'd like to see some consistency built into this organization. Not just "hey, let's keep maxing out on Drew and hope that works out". And I don't know that Drew is asking top dollar. I'm just a bored fan having a discussion with all knowing people.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:40 AM   #76
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 8,822
Re: Pay Brees!

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
You know what? 'guido and I argue a lot, but I have to say after reading this comment that you are the one I have the least amount of respect for on this board. Calling me an idiot is classless and childish. But I'm a big boy, I can handle your name calling.

The bigger reason is that you are a complete waffler. One day you're on one side of this subject and the next day you do a complete 180. When the season starts and Drew has a bad game, you'll say that you love Drew but he might be nearing the end. So I'm not sure what makes you think you are qualified to even make a judgement against me.

And since you want to resort to nastiness, I won't stoop to your level, but I will point something out. You have shown zero ability to understand anything I have said. You're beating a dead horse, and just randomly telling anyone you disagree with that they have no clue, or in this case calling me an idiot. You don't understand any part of what I'm trying to say. All you seem to get out of it is that I'm a massive Brees hater (which is ridiculous) and therefore everything I say is just stupid, and you don't read anything else. Sound about right?

So let me make it clear, one more time, since you keep ignoring it. I'm not talking about the business aspect of what a player "deserves" or is "worth". I wouldn't pay Drew more than 25 million if it were up to me, which of course it isn't. But some have suggested that he deserves whatever he wants because of what he has meant, and blah blah. That makes me nauseated, considering what he's already made. That's why I pointed out that nothing these athletes do is so important that we should feel indebted to them and just pay whatever. I can think of people who deserve much more and don't get it. SOOOO, with that in mind I don't get caught up in what Drew has done. I appreciate what he has done. But I think if you are the Saints it might not be wise to go higher than 25 million, or to give him many years.

And here's the thing... They might not. We just don't know what kind of money is being discussed. It's purely hypothetical. All of our discussion is hypothetical. Does that make sense?

By the way, I'm not "dictating" what the Saints should spend. I'm giving my opinion. For all you know, the Saints might have the same numbers in their collective heads that I have, or close to it. Common sense tells you there is only so much you can pay any one player. Either they don't agree with his asking price, or perhaps waiting to see how he performs this year (letting him hit the open market could allow a very QB hungry team to offer Brees an astronomical number). Either way, that tells you the Saints obviously have some hang up, which makes any assumption that the Saints will automatically pay him market value a bit premature.

I live in no alternate reality or "wet dream". It was a simple side bar comment that you decided to blow up into a toxic nuclear catastrophe. Freaking chill out.
I am a consistent supporter of Brees, I don't waffle. Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about or you're making it up. He hasn't slowed down a bit. Matter of fact he had more than 4800 yards last year and he missed a game. He had a staggering 68% completion rate and threw 32 td's to 11 int's. I have never once said you like or dislike Brees because I could care less. This was about what he deserves to be paid per the market.

You're certainly jealous of what athletes make and that is kind of sad. 'oh they don't deserve it wah wah." "I would do their job any day of the week, all they do is play a game, wah wah".
Yeah you can't do their job and that is why you don't earn what they do, but cry a little more about how unfair it is, and your job is more important. Boo Hoo.

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?
Lombardi
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:57 AM   #77
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,258
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Pay Brees!

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
I am a consistent supporter of Brees, I don't waffle. Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about or you're making it up. He hasn't slowed down a bit. Matter of fact he had more than 4800 yards last year and he missed a game. He had a staggering 68% completion rate and threw 32 td's to 11 int's. I have never once said you like or dislike Brees because I could care less. This was about what he deserves to be paid per the market.

You're certainly jealous of what athletes make and that is kind of sad. 'oh they don't deserve it wah wah." "I would do their job any day of the week, all they do is play a game, wah wah".
Yeah you can't do their job and that is why you don't earn what they do, but cry a little more about how unfair it is, and your job is more important. Boo Hoo.
Dude go crawl back into what ever closet you came out of today. If you can't think of a single constructive and half adult thing to say, then you are wasting everyone's time.

I didn't say anything I do is more or less important. I said there are more important things than what athletes do. That's a fact. Without taking into considering anything to do with an inflated market, which has nothing to do with anything I'm talking about, you cannot tell me that football players are worth what they make. I don't care if it's fair or unfair. I have no jealousy towards them. I watch and pull for these guys every freaking year. I know they will always make more than everyone else, and that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when people start acting like taking a little less is going to kill the guy. I'm not even saying he should take less than market value. I don't want to see it go way over.

But let's say he did take less. Is he going to be hurting from that? I always hear the argument "you can't compare what an athlete does, or makes, with regular jobs". Well, that goes both ways. An athlete taking a little less won't hurt him like it would an average person. You can't afford to take less when you aren't making that much to begin with. And you aren't working for the sake of your co-workers. They aren't your teammates. You're there to do your job and there is no trophy at the end.

If an athlete wants to win bad enough he can afford to take less, and it has happened before. But I won't sit here and expect that. They are fortunate enough to be in a position of power and leverage. I don't think it's evil. Though there are certainly some greedy people out there, being rich doesn't make you automatically greedy.

Just don't tell me tossing a football around is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. "they're worth whatever someone wants to pay him"... blah blah blah. Let me break this down for you: If you needed a new car to get around and work but you decided to buy a house instead, you would consider the house worth whatever you paid for it, because it seemed like the thing to do. But then you realize that you are having a hard time paying the bills and you still don't have a car to get around. You might wish you had gotten a car and an apartment, saved some money, then bought the house. But it's too late.

You thought the house was worth it, but that doesn't mean it actually was. It turns out that in reality, you just made a dumb decision.

Now I'm not saying extending Drew would be dumb. Not at all. As long as the price is reasonable. Maybe it will be. I guess we'll all find out. I'm not worried about it. I know that whatever happens will happen, and there's nothing any of us can do about it. Maybe we'll go 7-9 again and we can all talk about how great our offense is.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:57 AM   #78
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 4,231
Re: Pay Brees!

Originally Posted by SaintFanInATLHELL View Post
Once you get that then it's easy to see that the time for evaluation is over for the Saints. They have to fish or cut bait with the information they currently have because if a deal doesn't get done in the next month, then he will be a free agent next offseason.

It is the same predicament that each and every team with a high quality QB goes through. It gets even more difficult with the heir apparent has shown they are ready. There was drama with Young and Montana. There was drama with Farve and Rodgers. I predict there will be drama in the near future with Brady and Grappalo.

But it seems clear there is no Rodgers waiting in the wings on the Saints roster. Unlike Denver, it's not clear that the Saints have the defense to start from scratch at the QB position and still remain competitive in the near future.

And the simple fact is there is no real evidence of how Brees may perform 3 years from now.

Let's try a different tack here. Everyone has outlined their fears and issues. Explain what outcomes you would like to see given the circumstances. I do ask to keep everything within the realm of NFL reality. That means no Brees accepting a 2 year $40 million contracts offered at the end of the 2016 season. By any objective measure it is completely nonsensical.

Do we get someone younger and pay them the money for extended years? If so, who? Do we draft a new QB? If so who and when? Do we pay Brees? If so, how much and how long.

I agree it's a predicament. My estimation is simple. I presume the Saints want to make another championship run in the next 3 years. If that's the case it can likely only be done with Brees on board. So we pay him the smallest market contract that he'll accept. Start at 3 years/$75 million all guaranteed and work your way up from there.

That's my opinion. What's yours?

SFIAH
You make exceptionally good points with alot of validation and things are clearly well spoken. Some of the questions that you have ask can't be answered by anyone other than the Saints FO as I think you know. But hypothetically Brees might command another huge contract although it may be from another team but one main thing he wouldn't have is Paytons system. Brees has executed Paytons system like a true field general for the Saints there is no denying that. I do feel after this season even if Brees plays at a high level we move on with another qb. because of his age. I know it's apples and oranges but I look at how GB did with Farve, he was still playing at a high level for 2 years after he left there although the 2 systems he played in (Jets and Vikings) were totally different, one suited his stye of play the other didn't. I believe if he leaves there will be a dropoff to a point in production from a new qb. but it would be kind of unrealistic to think someone could just step in and match Brees type of numbers but it falls on Payton and his system to adjust with a new gunslinger under center. Growing pains will happen and at times might not be pretty. I also feel that next season with a couple of good G, a young qb. with a stout front line coupled with the insane firepower we have could have a pretty decent year under C. So not paying Brees a 3 or 4 year top dollar contract might not be so bad with Payton at the helm. You and I both know until the D gets fixed paying Brees or getting a new qb. want matter. Although a young qb. has more time to wait things out.
halloween 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #79
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 8,822
Re: Pay Brees!

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
Dude go crawl back into what ever closet you came out of today. If you can't think of a single constructive and half adult thing to say, then you are wasting everyone's time.

I didn't say anything I do is more or less important. I said there are more important things than what athletes do. That's a fact. Without taking into considering anything to do with an inflated market, which has nothing to do with anything I'm talking about, you cannot tell me that football players are worth what they make. I don't care if it's fair or unfair. I have no jealousy towards them. I watch and pull for these guys every freaking year. I know they will always make more than everyone else, and that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when people start acting like taking a little less is going to kill the guy. I'm not even saying he should take less than market value. I don't want to see it go way over.

But let's say he did take less. Is he going to be hurting from that? I always hear the argument "you can't compare what an athlete does, or makes, with regular jobs". Well, that goes both ways. An athlete taking a little less won't hurt him like it would an average person. You can't afford to take less when you aren't making that much to begin with. And you aren't working for the sake of your co-workers. They aren't your teammates. You're there to do your job and there is no trophy at the end.

If an athlete wants to win bad enough he can afford to take less, and it has happened before. But I won't sit here and expect that. They are fortunate enough to be in a position of power and leverage. I don't think it's evil. Though there are certainly some greedy people out there, being rich doesn't make you automatically greedy.

Just don't tell me tossing a football around is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. "they're worth whatever someone wants to pay him"... blah blah blah. Let me break this down for you: If you needed a new car to get around and work but you decided to buy a house instead, you would consider the house worth whatever you paid for it, because it seemed like the thing to do. But then you realize that you are having a hard time paying the bills and you still don't have a car to get around. You might wish you had gotten a car and an apartment, saved some money, then bought the house. But it's too late.

You thought the house was worth it, but that doesn't mean it actually was. It turns out that in reality, you just made a dumb decision.

Now I'm not saying extending Drew would be dumb. Not at all. As long as the price is reasonable. Maybe it will be. I guess we'll all find out. I'm not worried about it. I know that whatever happens will happen, and there's nothing any of us can do about it. Maybe we'll go 7-9 again and we can all talk about how great our offense is.
WEll now you're altering the argument and saying he should take less in order for the team to do better.

According to OTC Drew is the 11th most best special paid QB in the league. So how far down the list should he go? Why are other teams able to be successful, I don't understand? What's that you say...they don't have 30 million in dead money, I see, thank you. So Drew's salary is not the issue, that would be correct.

Quarterback Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap



There's more important jobs out there, you guys don't deserve it, Tito get me a tissue.

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?
Lombardi
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:38 AM   #80
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 3,170
Re: Pay Brees!

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
Because when you're getting old and getting beat up (we already know he can't throw as far as he used to, and there is no way in predicting how quickly his arm strength may continue to diminish) it's difficult to project forward like you can with a younger player. Did you see Peyton Manning last year? He went from breaking the single season passing yards and TD's record one year, to being maybe half that guy the next year, to being one of the worst QB's in the league last year. That big contract he signed seemed all fine and dandy two years ago. And then, suddenly, it wasn't anymore.

I'll wait for your sarcastic attempt to dance around that one.
First of all, I'm not sure who the "we" is you are talking about, but I know that Brees led the NFL in deep passing accuracy in 2016. So, lets say that does drop off in the next three or four years. Chances are he would still be in the top fourth of the league and be worth every penny.

As for the Manning example, he had suffered a severe neck injury and was physically breaking down in other areas. Nobody would ever compare the athleticism pf Manning to Brees. Brees has always been far more athletic. Nothing indicates a sudden collapse as was expected from Manning.
SaintFanInATLHELL and spkb25 like this.

I'm having that feeling again.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/79204-pay-brees.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Pay Brees! This thread Refback 08-12-2016 01:01 PM 1
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 08-12-2016 12:32 PM 6
The Latest NFL News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 08-12-2016 12:18 PM 1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts