Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Pay Brees!

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by burningmetal I didn't say that Brees is average. Refer to my most recent reply to you, and I have addressed most of your points. I merely brought up that what is considered "value" has been more about ...

Like Tree58Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #81
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 3,170
Re: Pay Brees!

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
I didn't say that Brees is average. Refer to my most recent reply to you, and I have addressed most of your points. I merely brought up that what is considered "value" has been more about panic an over paying mediocrity than anything to do with production. I understand that my dislike for the market won't change it, and I didn't suggest that anyone will change it, regardless of my opinion. Again, it's going over that market that I think would be unwise, and it's what some have suggested that not only we COULD, but SHOULD do. And obviously I disagree with that.

In reference to the ups and downs, yes, I am talking about turnovers for one. It's not just INT's. He fumbles a lot as well, and also we throw a lot more short yardage plays in place of running the ball, because for much the past several years we can't run. That has kept his yardage total up and lead to lower yards per attempt and ultimately is not leading to more points. He's also been very good a fair amount of that time, hence why I say UPS and downs. I'm not telling you he's been awful.

I'm truly not sure how this small point on my part has turned into two or three pages of discussion.
He fumbles a lot?

In 2015 he was tied for 20th in the league for QB fumbles, meaning 19 QB's had more fumbles.
2014 - tied 15th
2013 - tied 20th
2012 - tied 24th
2011 - tied 50th (only one fumble all season)

Interestingly enough, the season Brees had the most fumbles was in the Super Bowl year of 2009 with a total of ten, losing six of those.

Sorry, but you do not base your skewed beliefs on many concrete facts. Just saying.
SaintFanInATLHELL and spkb25 like this.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #82
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 3,170
Re: Pay Brees!

Also consider the fact that Brees is usually up among the top three or four in passing attempts so his chances of having a fumble created are far greater than almost all NFL QB's. Brees does not have an issue fumbling the ball. In fact, he is probably among the all-time leaders in the NFL with fumbles per attempt.
spkb25 likes this.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #83
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 8,822
Re: Pay Brees!

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Also consider the fact that Brees is usually up among the top three or four in passing attempts so his chances of having a fumble created are far greater than almost all NFL QB's. Brees does not have an issue fumbling the ball. In fact, he is probably among the all-time leaders in the NFL with fumbles per attempt.
yep you'd have to take the amount of fumbles vs snaps to get a %
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:31 AM   #84
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 8,822
Re: Pay Brees!

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
First of all, I'm not sure who the "we" is you are talking about, but I know that Brees led the NFL in deep passing accuracy in 2016. So, lets say that does drop off in the next three or four years. Chances are he would still be in the top fourth of the league and be worth every penny.

As for the Manning example, he had suffered a severe neck injury and was physically breaking down in other areas. Nobody would ever compare the athleticism pf Manning to Brees. Brees has always been far more athletic. Nothing indicates a sudden collapse as was expected from Manning.
"we" already KNOW he can't throw as far as he used to. LMAO, since when??

Every player is subject to being injured at any given moment or play. Physically he is fine, an unexpected injury (like the one he had in SD) cannot be prevented, age or no age. Under that logic each and every player would be signed to 1 year contracts, give me abreak

btw, im agreeing with you

Last edited by spkb25; 08-15-2016 at 05:09 PM..
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:48 AM   #85
SaintSince67
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PortCity
Posts: 1,979
Re: Pay Brees!

Pick 6s and red zone picks are one of the leading causes or high blood pressure, strokes and heart attacks.
Every QB throws pick 6s and has red zone/end zone interceptions.
Backup QBs are no different. Fumbles happen too.
If Brees went down I think Luke would be fine - Not Brees, but he would be fine.
I think the system would lend to his success.
(I'm going to say this and then duck)
I think much of Brees success has to do with Sean Payton's system.
Had he ended up some place else in 2006, we may not even be hearing his name anymore.
Not that he's not elite, but a QB is nothing without protection and catchers.
Brees has been blessed with both.
I think Payton would position McKown to do what he does best.
McKown is a good manager.
He would do fine.

**SaintSince67**
darstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:26 AM   #86
100th Post
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 174
Re: Pay Brees!

People always say what a great pair Brees and Payton are. But, the reason they work so well together is because Bree's has excellent decision making abilities, pocket mobility, and an extremely accurate arm. Not that it's the ultimate deciding factor, but how many probowl receivers has Brees had? Graham? I guess I'm just trying to say Payton has a great system, but it takes a great QB to run it. My 2 cents.
spkb25 likes this.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:16 AM   #87
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,192
Re: Pay Brees!

Originally Posted by darstep View Post
Pick 6s and red zone picks are one of the leading causes or high blood pressure, strokes and heart attacks.
Every QB throws pick 6s and has red zone/end zone interceptions.
Backup QBs are no different. Fumbles happen too.
If Brees went down I think Luke would be fine - Not Brees, but he would be fine.
I think the system would lend to his success.
(I'm going to say this and then duck)
I think much of Brees success has to do with Sean Payton's system.
Had he ended up some place else in 2006, we may not even be hearing his name anymore.
Not that he's not elite, but a QB is nothing without protection and catchers.
Brees has been blessed with both.
I think Payton would position McKown to do what he does best.
McKown is a good manager.
He would do fine.
In ways I both agree and disagree

Whilst I agree that the system is designed to Brees' attributes and therefore lends to his success, Brees pocket awareness are mostly to thank for a lot of the TD's he throws.

Not only does he make the O line look better, but besides Cooks and Meacham, he's never had a first round pick at WR.

Now obviously what round someone is picked isn't always important, but a great player makes the others around him better and that's exactly what Brees does - some of it because of scheme, a lot of it from his insane work ethic and tape study.

McCown played very admirably when Brees was out vs Panthers and Josh Norman made a great play at the end, however, with the game on the line you don't throw a jump ball to Brandin Cooks for the win, as he will lose that matchup, just like we lost the game.

Your bonehead creator picked a fine chapter to omit from your memory bank....let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear? - Vegeta, DBZ
dizzle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #88
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 8,822
Re: Pay Brees!

Originally Posted by darstep View Post
If Brees went down I think Luke would be fine - Not Brees, but he would be fine.

I think Payton would position McKown to do what he does best.
McKown is a good manager.
He would do fine.
Yeah...did you watch the preseason game? McCown looked worse than GG. I think you're right about SP putting him in position to be successful, but that only last a game or two. Josh would not carry us for a season, not in a million years.
44Champs likes this.
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:24 AM   #89
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,621
Re: Pay Brees!

Oh sure! Use FACTS to discount Skewed Beliefs!!
vpheughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:04 PM   #90
Site Donor 2016
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,412
Re: Pay Brees!

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
Yeah...did you watch the preseason game? McCown looked worse than GG. I think you're right about SP putting him in position to be successful, but that only last a game or two. Josh would not carry us for a season, not in a million years.
I doubt Grayson would either. And McGowin was behind a 3rd string line
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/79204-pay-brees.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Pay Brees! This thread Refback 08-12-2016 01:01 PM 1
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 08-12-2016 12:32 PM 6
The Latest NFL News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 08-12-2016 12:18 PM 1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts