Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

We don't even know it's that bad.

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; I personally would rather spend money on a great o line and above average defense and take my chances with say a Luke mccown or even a Nick Foles type QB that wouldn't demand high dollor and start looking for ...

Like Tree34Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2016, 12:02 AM   #51
500th Post
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Houma,LA.
Posts: 507
Re: We don't even know it's that bad.

I personally would rather spend money on a great o line and above average defense and take my chances with say a Luke mccown or even a Nick Foles type QB that wouldn't demand high dollor and start looking for a future QB. We have seen the last couple of years where you get with a great QB and nothing else home in Jan. I'd rather be home in Jan one player away than home with 21 players away
saintshrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:15 AM   #52
100th Post
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 154
Re: We don't even know it's that bad.

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
Lelito is back up material at best.

Boggles the mind this wasn't addressed last year.
Mind bottling!
Rugby Saint II likes this.
claus808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:06 AM   #53
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 8,799
Re: We don't even know it's that bad.

wait a minute, there is more dead money right now then what we are paying drew and his average is like 10th or 12th on the list of QB's. His salary is not the problem, the dead money is
Rugby Saint II likes this.
spkb25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:08 AM   #54
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 8,799
Re: We don't even know it's that bad.

Originally Posted by saintshrimp View Post
I personally would rather spend money on a great o line and above average defense and take my chances with say a Luke mccown or even a Nick Foles type QB that wouldn't demand high dollor and start looking for a future QB. We have seen the last couple of years where you get with a great QB and nothing else home in Jan. I'd rather be home in Jan one player away than home with 21 players away
we do need good lines, but right now there is 30+ mil in dead money. That's the issue, not Drew's salary. Every QB makes 20m, even alex smith. It is the reality right now.
Rugby Saint II likes this.
spkb25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:10 AM   #55
500th Post
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Houma,LA.
Posts: 507
Re: We don't even know it's that bad.

I've said it was reading a few pages back spkb25
saintshrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #56
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,247
Blog Entries: 2
Re: We don't even know it's that bad.

Yeah, inflation has pushed Drew down on the list of highest paid QB's. But he will be right up at the top for this season. And whether he re-signs or goes elsewhere, he'll be on top of the list again. It doesn't matter where you rank among the best, if you are just good enough for your team to want to sign you long term, you will be paid top 5 and, often, will be the highest paid. At least for about 5 minutes.

But indeed there are a lot of loose ends causing the cap problems. Even though some insist it isn't a problem because the cap will rise, blah blah... They conveniently forget that inflation will continue to follow it.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:23 AM   #57
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 3,165
Re: We don't even know it's that bad.

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
wait a minute, there is more dead money right now then what we are paying drew and his average is like 10th or 12th on the list of QB's. His salary is not the problem, the dead money is
Dead money WAS the problem. Dead money all but goes away next season with only $3.6M for Lewis, $1.3M for Browner, and $3,000 for Tovalland $1,000 for Tabb.
spkb25 likes this.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:29 AM   #58
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 3,165
Re: We don't even know it's that bad.

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
Yeah, inflation has pushed Drew down on the list of highest paid QB's. But he will be right up at the top for this season. And whether he re-signs or goes elsewhere, he'll be on top of the list again. It doesn't matter where you rank among the best, if you are just good enough for your team to want to sign you long term, you will be paid top 5 and, often, will be the highest paid. At least for about 5 minutes.

But indeed there are a lot of loose ends causing the cap problems. Even though some insist it isn't a problem because the cap will rise, blah blah... They conveniently forget that inflation will continue to follow it.
No. The point is that $25M per year for Brees leaves tons of space for the future. It was the dead money of bad FA deals that got them in the bind. Dead money goes away and is no longer an issue. And as I pointed out earlier, Brees will be counting less of a percentage of the cap than before. There is no reason not to keep Brees unless you can replace him with something better.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:39 AM   #59
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,247
Blog Entries: 2
Re: We don't even know it's that bad.

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
No. The point is that $25M per year for Brees leaves tons of space for the future. It was the dead money of bad FA deals that got them in the bind. Dead money goes away and is no longer an issue. And as I pointed out earlier, Brees will be counting less of a percentage of the cap than before. There is no reason not to keep Brees unless you can replace him with something better.
Guy......


I didn't say not to keep Brees. And I clearly acknowledged the "loose ends". All I said was that Brees has fallen down that list due to inflation. I have to figure that they will make up that difference on the next deal.

Of course the bad free agent deals were a huge problem. Haven't I said that hundreds of times? But the fact remains that teams who pay huge money for their QB's tend to have a devil of a time putting together a balanced roster. You have to be good at scouting and developing, and have an ability to turn over personnel pretty quickly, because you can only pay up for so many big names. The Saints have been very poor at that. Going all in on guys like Byrd, and trying to plug everything else.

Right now we have what appears to be a talented young defense. Now let's see if they can develop these players.
K Major likes this.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #60
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lafayette
Posts: 4,163
Re: We don't even know it's that bad.

i believe drew and payton need a couple more years to get back to the promised land. were young and dumb in some places that will be fixed, with no money its tough when you look foward to a new year in new orleans just because the nfl went up on salary cap a few millions and dead player money contracts are slowly disappearing,meaning were getting better and badder. so whatever it takes we have to keep the nucleus together.
st thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/79372-we-dont-even-know-its-bad.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
We don't even know it's that bad. This thread Refback 08-28-2016 02:57 PM 6
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 08-28-2016 10:58 AM 1
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 08-28-2016 10:56 AM 12


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts