Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

I believe another move is on the way with our cap relief

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by WillSaints81 We need this for next year because with just 23 million we are at the borderline of only being able to sign one two big FAs and the rest going to draft picks and small pieces....

Like Tree8Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #21
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 3,170
Re: I believe another move is on the way with our cap relief

Originally Posted by WillSaints81 View Post
We need this for next year because with just 23 million we are at the borderline of only being able to sign one two big FAs and the rest going to draft picks and small pieces.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #22
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Alexandria, La
Posts: 10,051
Re: I believe another move is on the way with our cap relief

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Don't even try to understand
|Mitch| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #23
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Watford England
Posts: 6,093
Blog Entries: 1
Re: I believe another move is on the way with our cap relief

He is saying as it stands we have 20ml in free cap next year after the Brees and Unger deals

We dont have many more players that need to get signed other than Willie Snead and possibly Fairley. Evans,Hightower,Harper will be out of contract.

Byrd can free up $3.7ml with $8ml dead or $3.4 dead and $8ml on a post June 1st

Spiller $2.5 dead and $2.35 savings or $1.25 dead and $3.6ml post June 1st



Moresteads contract needs looking at as nearly 5ml for a punter is crazy.


There is plenty of ways of creating space

"Two receivers to the left, Garcon to the right. Manning in the shotgun, puts Collie in motion. Looks in his direction...it's picked off! It's picked off! It's Tracy Porter again! He's runnin' free! He's gonna go all the way!
lee909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #24
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Alexandria, La
Posts: 10,051
Re: I believe another move is on the way with our cap relief

Originally Posted by lee909 View Post
He is saying as it stands we have 20ml in free cap next year after the Brees and Unger deals

We dont have many more players that need to get signed other than Willie Snead and possibly Fairley. Evans,Hightower,Harper will be out of contract.

Byrd can free up $3.7ml with $8ml dead or $3.4 dead and $8ml on a post June 1st

Spiller $2.5 dead and $2.35 savings or $1.25 dead and $3.6ml post June 1st



Moresteads contract needs looking at as nearly 5ml for a punter is crazy.


There is plenty of ways of creating space
Yeah we got that; What is confusing is WillSaints81 saying we'd only be able to sign two FA's, draft picks and small pieces...

We've done that with 3 million in space before...
|Mitch| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #25
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,777
Re: I believe another move is on the way with our cap relief

So you want to continue to stretch the cap like the last two offseasons and hope one signing like Browner and Byrd pans out that season?

Just imagine having 30 million in cap and making a splash knowing if we do such a thing we'd be nearly impossible to overlook, we would set a example in the offseason and nobody could game plan for it. We could sign a top player at quite a few positions.
WillSaints81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:46 PM   #26
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 3,170
Re: I believe another move is on the way with our cap relief

Originally Posted by WillSaints81 View Post
So you want to continue to stretch the cap like the last two offseasons and hope one signing like Browner and Byrd pans out that season?

Just imagine having 30 million in cap and making a splash knowing if we do such a thing we'd be nearly impossible to overlook, we would set a example in the offseason and nobody could game plan for it. We could sign a top player at quite a few positions.
I know you can't read this, but the Brees deal is essentially a year to year contract extension that will be renegotiated freeing up additional cap as needed. Also, next year's final cap figure is not known, but they have been coming in each of the past few years above even the generous estimates. Loomis also builds roster bonuses into most contracts so you can expect a few will be converted to signing bonuses and prorated opening up even more cap space for 2017. And don't forget the $13 million in 2016 cap carry over that can occur. I can easily see in excess of $40 million in room available if needed.

I'm having that feeling again.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #27
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,777
Re: I believe another move is on the way with our cap relief

Here is what another poster said on another forum

This dead money issue has been building for years. I would be interested to see which team in the league has done the most restructures of deals over the last 5 years but I would bet NO is in the top-2 or 3 teams in the league for that issue. I think they thought with Brees in his prime that they needed to do as much as possible to build around him knowing a day of reckoning would eventually come. Well that day has come this year and even some next year as that $20 million next year really isn't all that great either. Draft class can cost anywhere from $6-7 million. Need another $3-5 million for just the season in general. Then RFA's usually take up another $2-7 million depending how many you have and want to keep. They also don't have anybody but Kenny Vacaro that they can cut, get a nice chunk of cap space, and not have a big dead money hit. So that would mean if they want to sign anybody they would have to restructure another deal once again. The best thing the Saints can do is pretty much this year stick with what they got now that they did the Brees deal and then just know next year that other than maybe 1-2 smaller deals in FA they are just going to have to depend on draft picks to carry them for a bit until Brees' cap hits and dead money get off the books.
WillSaints81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #28
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 3,170
Re: I believe another move is on the way with our cap relief

Originally Posted by WillSaints81 View Post
Here is what another poster said on another forum

This dead money issue has been building for years. I would be interested to see which team in the league has done the most restructures of deals over the last 5 years but I would bet NO is in the top-2 or 3 teams in the league for that issue. I think they thought with Brees in his prime that they needed to do as much as possible to build around him knowing a day of reckoning would eventually come. Well that day has come this year and even some next year as that $20 million next year really isn't all that great either. Draft class can cost anywhere from $6-7 million. Need another $3-5 million for just the season in general. Then RFA's usually take up another $2-7 million depending how many you have and want to keep. They also don't have anybody but Kenny Vacaro that they can cut, get a nice chunk of cap space, and not have a big dead money hit. So that would mean if they want to sign anybody they would have to restructure another deal once again. The best thing the Saints can do is pretty much this year stick with what they got now that they did the Brees deal and then just know next year that other than maybe 1-2 smaller deals in FA they are just going to have to depend on draft picks to carry them for a bit until Brees' cap hits and dead money get off the books.
My gawd, this guy is a total idiot. There is only about $4.5 million in dead money left on the cap after the 2016 season. Will someone point out to this guy that he doesn't know what the **** he is talking about and the people he is quoting from this "other site" are equally ignorant.



Edit: for those that don't know, this idiot puts people on his ignore list that point out his idiocy.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:27 PM   #29
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 3,170
Re: I believe another move is on the way with our cap relief

Total dead money 2017 for the Saints:

Player, position, dead money, percent of 2016 cap

Keenan Lewis CB - $3,600,000 2.32
Brandon Browner CB - $1,300,000 0.84
Garrett Grayson QB - $366,584 0.24
Davis Tull DE - $110,866 0.07
Kaleb Eulls G - $3,334 0.00
Dominque Tovell OLB - $3,000 0.00
Bobby Richardson DE - $1,668 0.00
Jack Tabb TE - $1,000 0.00
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #30
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,621
Re: I believe another move is on the way with our cap relief

AssylumGuido! How dare you use FACTS to dispell:
"Well I think.......,Another site says........and the all time favorite, "Oh yeah?"
vpheughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/79501-i-believe-another-move-way-our-cap-relief.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
I believe another move is on the way with our cap relief This thread Refback 09-07-2016 05:33 PM 1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts