Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by jeanpierre No, I understand your point, it's just with Unger's sheer size alone, the stress of on the foot in just bearing that weight... Then there's the whole professional athlete training component (it's not like he's in ...

Like Tree5Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #21
Threaded by AsylumGuido
5000 POSTS! +
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 5,768

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
No, I understand your point, it's just with Unger's sheer size alone, the stress of on the foot in just bearing that weight...

Then there's the whole professional athlete training component (it's not like he's in sales, can sit at his desk and get the weight off his foot; and ride the cart for a few months when playing golf)...

I'd thought they'd been a little more assertive in getting ahead of his Lisfranc injury and stabilizing his arch was the point I was making...
One thing to note is that unlike players that need far more lateral motion the center can wear shoes with orthopedic additions that give far more support. My guess is that he was already wearing these last season. He was playing with the injury before, and at a quality level. I would hope that it would be far more comfortable to play on the repaired foot.
Views: 1331
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #22
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,638
Re: Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
I worked for a medical claims company for 17.5 years. I know all about medical claims. That is different than malpractice claims. Completely different animals. Medical insurance and its claims are all about holding down costs and protecting the patient and/or employer. Malpractice insurance and its claims are all about protecting the hospital/doctor from lawsuits.

Surgery also opens up risk to things such as infection and nerve damage. No reputable surgeon would encourage surgery until all other options had been addressed. That is not how things work in the medical arena.

But, in Unger's case it was properly managed and surgery was done within a time frame that would return him to the field in time for the regular season.
You keep believing those silly things.
spkb25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #23
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,638
Re: Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
No, I understand your point, it's just with Unger's sheer size alone, the stress of on the foot in just bearing that weight...

Then there's the whole professional athlete training component (it's not like he's in sales, can sit at his desk and get the weight off his foot; and ride the cart for a few months when playing golf)...

I'd thought they'd been a little more assertive in getting ahead of his Lisfranc injury and stabilizing his arch was the point I was making...
That's why he had surgery lol, because it healed on its own. They aren't called the Saints for nothing, Jesus Christ himself was called in on this one.

I agree JP
spkb25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #24
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 5,768
Re: Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
You keep believing those silly things.
I deal in facts, son. Not bull****. I know about what I talk about.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:41 PM   #25
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 5,768
Re: Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
That's why he had surgery lol, because it healed on its own. They aren't called the Saints for nothing, Jesus Christ himself was called in on this one.

I agree JP
I'll pray for you. You need it.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:55 PM   #26
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 16,966
Blog Entries: 28
Re: Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

Well, in what seems like another lifetime, I worked at Tulane for four (4) years on a floor that included orthopedics, plastics to pay my way through school...

Then worked for five years in Managed Healthcare (HMO, PPO, TPA) writing dBase tables for everything from benefits, membership, claims adjudication, sales/commissions, and member service documentation and management, etc...

There are days I wished I didn't know all I knew from those nine years, especially when I'm with family or close friends at the Phys office, Urgernt Care, CCU, SICU, etc or realizing a claims processing choice that screws the patient and I recognize the same song or rodeo or dog & pony show bullshinski I learned of then...

Guido is exactly right that most doctors and the business directors of those PHOs (Physican Hospital Organizations) heavily influence the decision making to lean to the idea of do no more harm than good, limiting liability, exposure...

It's easier from a legal defensive point to say we did nothing and only be limited to damages for doing nothing than to risk invasive procedures by doing thus and still no improvement and being second guessed later why a number of other options were not used...

However, in the case of Max Unger, firmly believe in my gut the Ochsner Docs were covering their collective arses rather than processing all factors including my earlier point...

...around that rather simple human arch system he has is a super human amount of flesh and muscle and that that his bearing weight of 300+ lbs alone was more than his arch could bear in its injured state...

I worked with some Docs 25+ years ago who's names have sometimes been in the news these past years with regards to high profile athletes and injuries and I know they'd advised the stabilization of the Lisfranc injury as soon as trauma and inflammation had reduced for Sx...

“Your best?!? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home (with) the prom queen.” - Sean Connery in The Rock
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:18 PM   #27
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,638
Re: Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
Well, in what seems like another lifetime, I worked at Tulane for four (4) years on a floor that included orthopedics, plastics to pay my way through school...

Then worked for five years in Managed Healthcare (HMO, PPO, TPA) writing dBase tables for everything from benefits, membership, claims adjudication, sales/commissions, and member service documentation and management, etc...

There are days I wished I didn't know all I knew from those nine years, especially when I'm with family or close friends at the Phys office, Urgernt Care, CCU, SICU, etc or realizing a claims processing choice that screws the patient and I recognize the same song or rodeo or dog & pony show bullshinski I learned of then...

Guido is exactly right that most doctors and the business directors of those PHOs (Physican Hospital Organizations) heavily influence the decision making to lean to the idea of do no more harm than good, limiting liability, exposure...

It's easier from a legal defensive point to say we did nothing and only be limited to damages for doing nothing than to risk invasive procedures by doing thus and still no improvement and being second guessed later why a number of other options were not used...

However, in the case of Max Unger, firmly believe in my gut the Ochsner Docs were covering their collective arses rather than processing all factors including my earlier point...

...around that rather simple human arch system he has is a super human amount of flesh and muscle and that that his bearing weight of 300+ lbs alone was more than his arch could bear in its injured state...

I worked with some Docs 25+ years ago who's names have sometimes been in the news these past years with regards to high profile athletes and injuries and I know they'd advised the stabilization of the Lisfranc injury as soon as trauma and inflammation had reduced for Sx...
I have never known a doctor to er on the side of less money. Unless you're dealing with a back or neck..they'll open you right up. Well until you're dealing with workplace doctors (and insurance)...then they tell you to go conservative. Conservative on the funds they mean. JUST MY HOP
spkb25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #28
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,638
Re: Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
Well, in what seems like another lifetime, I worked at Tulane for four (4) years on a floor that included orthopedics, plastics to pay my way through school...

Then worked for five years in Managed Healthcare (HMO, PPO, TPA) writing dBase tables for everything from benefits, membership, claims adjudication, sales/commissions, and member service documentation and management, etc...

There are days I wished I didn't know all I knew from those nine years, especially when I'm with family or close friends at the Phys office, Urgernt Care, CCU, SICU, etc or realizing a claims processing choice that screws the patient and I recognize the same song or rodeo or dog & pony show bullshinski I learned of then...

Guido is exactly right that most doctors and the business directors of those PHOs (Physican Hospital Organizations) heavily influence the decision making to lean to the idea of do no more harm than good, limiting liability, exposure...

It's easier from a legal defensive point to say we did nothing and only be limited to damages for doing nothing than to risk invasive procedures by doing thus and still no improvement and being second guessed later why a number of other options were not used...

However, in the case of Max Unger, firmly believe in my gut the Ochsner Docs were covering their collective arses rather than processing all factors including my earlier point...

...around that rather simple human arch system he has is a super human amount of flesh and muscle and that that his bearing weight of 300+ lbs alone was more than his arch could bear in its injured state...

I worked with some Docs 25+ years ago who's names have sometimes been in the news these past years with regards to high profile athletes and injuries and I know they'd advised the stabilization of the Lisfranc injury as soon as trauma and inflammation had reduced for Sx...
You're right about Unger..that's why he had the surgery.
spkb25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #29
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 5,768
Re: Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
Well, in what seems like another lifetime, I worked at Tulane for four (4) years on a floor that included orthopedics, plastics to pay my way through school...

Then worked for five years in Managed Healthcare (HMO, PPO, TPA) writing dBase tables for everything from benefits, membership, claims adjudication, sales/commissions, and member service documentation and management, etc...

There are days I wished I didn't know all I knew from those nine years, especially when I'm with family or close friends at the Phys office, Urgernt Care, CCU, SICU, etc or realizing a claims processing choice that screws the patient and I recognize the same song or rodeo or dog & pony show bullshinski I learned of then...

Guido is exactly right that most doctors and the business directors of those PHOs (Physican Hospital Organizations) heavily influence the decision making to lean to the idea of do no more harm than good, limiting liability, exposure...

It's easier from a legal defensive point to say we did nothing and only be limited to damages for doing nothing than to risk invasive procedures by doing thus and still no improvement and being second guessed later why a number of other options were not used...

However, in the case of Max Unger, firmly believe in my gut the Ochsner Docs were covering their collective arses rather than processing all factors including my earlier point...

...around that rather simple human arch system he has is a super human amount of flesh and muscle and that that his bearing weight of 300+ lbs alone was more than his arch could bear in its injured state...

I worked with some Docs 25+ years ago who's names have sometimes been in the news these past years with regards to high profile athletes and injuries and I know they'd advised the stabilization of the Lisfranc injury as soon as trauma and inflammation had reduced for Sx...
In a round about way you are agreeing with my assessment that the decision to wait was not made by the Saints front office as claimed, but by the medical community.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:22 PM   #30
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 5,768
Re: Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
You're right about Unger..that's why he had the surgery.
Yes. He had the surgery AFTER it was determined that it wouldn't stabilize on its own. Normal best practice with most Lisfranc injuries.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/83074-saints-center-max-unger-plans-back-starter-season-opener.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 06-14-2017 06:48 PM 3


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2018 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts