Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Saints rookie Marshon Lattimore's minicamp performance draws comparison to Kendrick Lamar

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by AsylumGuido This defense is going to surprise those that are too lazy to learn of all the changes. Talking heads are still thinking they are the same squad as last season with the same coaching as last ...

Like Tree21Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2017, 09:11 PM   #11
Threaded by jeanpierre
Site Donor 2015
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 14,502

Blog Entries: 25
Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
This defense is going to surprise those that are too lazy to learn of all the changes. Talking heads are still thinking they are the same squad as last season with the same coaching as last season. I see great potential for major improvement on all three levels of the defense. That can dramatically affect the defense overall. This can become a strength for the Saints, rather than a huge weakness.
My BF manages a construction supply store and I was arguing with his driver who I've know for 30 years from when we played AAU ball as kids...

He's always been a big Dallas fan and hated on the Saints...

I made him this bet - the Saints would geaux 12-4, Dallas would geaux 13-3; Dallas will lose in the Divisional Playoff game with Home field advantage and that either the Saints or Packers, maybe the Seahawks if they can fix their offensive line, would be the NFC reps in the Superbowl...

He gave his usual criticisms of the Saints (same since we were kids); but I was surprised how little he knew of the new coaching hires, the roster additions...

Like I told him and telling all of you who aren't having some of the bandwagon punch...

This is the best Saints Defensive Coaching Staff since the Mora days when we had Steve Sidwell, Vic Fangio, Dom Capers and John Pease...

Nielsen, Nolan, Glenn is a special group Saints fans and they're gonna have the guys flying all over the place - the players have just gotta catch those damn interceptions...
foreverfan and AsylumGuido like this.

Last edited by jeanpierre; 06-16-2017 at 08:04 AM..
Views: 785
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:14 PM   #12
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 4,432
Re: Saints rookie Marshon Lattimore's minicamp performance draws comparison to Kendrick Lamar

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
My BF manages a construction supply store and I was arguing with his driver who I've know for 30 years from when we played AAU ball as kids...

He's a big Dallas fan and I made him this bet - the Saints would geaux 12-4, Dallas would geaux 13-3; Dallas will lose in the Divisional Playoff game with Home field advantage and that either the Saints or Packers, maybe the Seahawks, would be the NFC reps in the Superbowl...

He gave his usual criticisms of the Saints (same since we were kids); but I was surprised how little he knew of the new coaching hires...

Telling all of you; this is the best Saints Defensive Coaching Staff since the Mora days when we had Steve Sidwell, Vic Fangio, Dom Capers and John Pease...

Nielsen, Nolan, Glenn is a special group Saints fans...
Right there with you, JP!
foreverfan likes this.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:31 AM   #13
LB Mentallity
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,922
Blog Entries: 62
Re: Saints rookie Marshon Lattimore's minicamp performance draws comparison to Kendrick Lamar

stay healthy and all is good
hagan714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #14
500th Post
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 518
Re: Saints rookie Marshon Lattimore's minicamp performance draws comparison to Kendrick Lamar

That's all I hear from the so called experts is how bad our defense was last year. I never hear them talk about the guys we drafted or the FA we added or the fact that over half of our defense was injured last year. I haven't been this excited about our team in a long time.
darksoul35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:40 AM   #15
The Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lithonia, GA
Posts: 1,832
Re: Saints rookie Marshon Lattimore's minicamp performance draws comparison to Kendrick Lamar

Originally Posted by darksoul35 View Post
That's all I hear from the so called experts is how bad our defense was last year. I never hear them talk about the guys we drafted or the FA we added or the fact that over half of our defense was injured last year. I haven't been this excited about our team in a long time.
One has to understand the national media filters for the NFL. Teams fall into one of 4 buckets:

1. Teams in the Northeast corridor. This includes all of the NFC and AFC East.
2. Final 4 teams from the last year or two.
3. Teams with spectacular single players. Derek Carr is probably the poster child for this category this year.
4. The also rans.

The Saints have drifted between groups 3 and 4 in recent years. Brees does enough to pull them up to category 3 sometimes. Structurally we'll never qualify for category 1, which gets the bulk of the coverage. One can sit through a 90 minute NFL Live on ESPN or 60 minutes of and learn absolutely everything about the Giants, Cowboys, Redskins, Jets, Patriots, and the like. But fans of categories 3 and 4 just get dribbles.

BTW the Saints will be a solid 3 this year. One reason: Adrian Peterson. We know that he's the B back in an offensive system that does RB by committee and commits to the run once or so in a month of Sundays. But the 10 year track record of a HOF RB means that every national Saints reference this year will be about him.

It's interesting that the media knows about the productivity churn in the NFL. Analyists can spout of the fact that nearly half the playoff teams and half the division winners change each and every year. It happens because of the types of changes we have made this year. But teams in categories 3 and 4 simply do not get enough air time, or analytics time to get predictions that map to the churn that happens.

So you'll see the same trite lines about Brees passing for 5000, the defense being terrible, and can Peterson singlehandedly turn around the franchise. Along with the same trite lines about the rest of the NFC South. Lots of 'clowns and kittykat coverage because they are both in category 2 for example.

The lesson to learn is to ignore it because none of the national media have an investment in the Saints.

SFIAH

Super Bowl Championships: New Orleans Saints:1, Carolina:0, Atlanta Chokers: STILL ZERO

Only Atlanta choked in an unchokable situation... Life is definitely good.
SaintFanInATLHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #16
10,000+ Posts!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 11,032
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Saints rookie Marshon Lattimore's minicamp performance draws comparison to Kendrick Lamar

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
My BF manages a construction supply store and I was arguing with his driver who I've know for 30 years from when we played AAU ball as kids...

He's always been a big Dallas fan and hated on the Saints...

I made him this bet - the Saints would geaux 12-4, Dallas would geaux 13-3; Dallas will lose in the Divisional Playoff game with Home field advantage and that either the Saints or Packers, maybe the Seahawks if they can fix their offensive line, would be the NFC reps in the Superbowl...

He gave his usual criticisms of the Saints (same since we were kids); but I was surprised how little he knew of the new coaching hires, the roster additions...

Like I told him and telling all of you who aren't having some of the bandwagon punch...

This is the best Saints Defensive Coaching Staff since the Mora days when we had Steve Sidwell, Vic Fangio, Dom Capers and John Pease...

Nielsen, Nolan, Glenn is a special group Saints fans and they're gonna have the guys flying all over the place - the players have just gotta catch those damn interceptions...

No other way to go but with...


foreverfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #17
10,000+ Posts!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 11,032
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Saints rookie Marshon Lattimore's minicamp performance draws comparison to Kendrick Lamar

Originally Posted by SaintFanInATLHELL View Post
One has to understand the national media filters for the NFL. Teams fall into one of 4 buckets:

1. Teams in the Northeast corridor. This includes all of the NFC and AFC East.
Enough said right there....

jeanpierre and skymike like this.
foreverfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #18
Site Donor 2016
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,767
Re: Saints rookie Marshon Lattimore's minicamp performance draws comparison to Kendrick Lamar

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
This defense is going to surprise those that are too lazy to learn of all the changes. Talking heads are still thinking they are the same squad as last season with the same coaching as last season. I see great potential for major improvement on all three levels of the defense. That can dramatically affect the defense overall. This can become a strength for the Saints, rather than a huge weakness.
I think we will see a significant improvement on defense. I just hope it's enough to compensate for the fact Brees play will drop off due to age.


Our defense could take 10 steps forward but it wouldn't matter if our offense takes several steps back.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #19
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 4,432
Re: Saints rookie Marshon Lattimore's minicamp performance draws comparison to Kendrick Lamar

Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
I think we will see a significant improvement on defense. I just hope it's enough to compensate for the fact Brees play will drop off due to age.


Our defense could take 10 steps forward but it wouldn't matter if our offense takes several steps back.
People have been predicting that Brees' play will drop off for years. Those people are fools. There is no indication whatsoever that Brees is anywhere close to a decline. The fact that you are even suggesting this verifies your tendency to expect the worst even when there is no indication that the worst is possible.

I do agree that eventually Brees play will drop of due to age, but at the rate it is trending that will be more likely to come at his personally predicted 45 rather than this season.

Once again, a totally negative post.

AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #20
Site Donor 2016
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,767
Re: Saints rookie Marshon Lattimore's minicamp performance draws comparison to Kendrick Lamar

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
People have been predicting that Brees' play will drop off for years. Those people are fools. There is no indication whatsoever that Brees is anywhere close to a decline. The fact that you are even suggesting this verifies your tendency to expect the worst even when there is no indication that the worst is possible.

I do agree that eventually Brees play will drop of due to age, but at the rate it is trending that will be more likely to come at his personally predicted 45 rather than this season.

Once again, a totally negative post.

That part was actually a deliberate provocation.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/83086-saints-rookie-marshon-lattimores-minicamp-performance-draws-comparison-kendrick-lamar.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 06-15-2017 10:12 AM 5
Saints rookie Marshon Lattimore's minicamp performance draws comparison to Kendrick Lamar This thread Refback 06-15-2017 09:58 AM 1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts