Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

LS Jon Dorenbos Placed on NFI

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by Danno Like what? Well, just off the top of my head, some issues that have me concerned... Until proven otherwise, a historically bad defense. Until proven otherwise, a special teams unit that closely resembles the Keystone Cops. ...

Like Tree51Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #31
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 3,043
Re: LS Jon Dorenbos Placed on NFI

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Like what?
Well, just off the top of my head, some issues that have me concerned...
Until proven otherwise, a historically bad defense.
Until proven otherwise, a special teams unit that closely resembles the Keystone Cops.
A #2 receiver that's close to the tops in the league every year for dropped passes.
An overpaid starting tight end that seems to want to compete with the #2 receiver for the title of most dropped passes.
A completely unproven staring left tackle
A right tackle that's older than dirt with bad knees, without a suitable back up because the heir apparent is starting at left tackle.
Two starting corners that have a grand total of 2 NFL games worth of experience.
Three of the six linebackers on the roster weren't even on the team last season and two of the there that were here are on the injury report.

And as I'm sure we've all seen a bad snap on a punt or a field goal attempt can turn the tide of a game.

So for me anyway, the team does have issues to be concerned about so losing a long snapper two days before the season starts, combined with any combination of those issues is very worrisome.
Utah_Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #32
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 5,758
Re: LS Jon Dorenbos Placed on NFI

Originally Posted by Utah_Saint View Post
Well, just off the top of my head, some issues that have me concerned...
Until proven otherwise, a historically bad defense.
Until proven otherwise, a special teams unit that closely resembles the Keystone Cops.
A #2 receiver that's close to the tops in the league every year for dropped passes.
An overpaid starting tight end that seems to want to compete with the #2 receiver for the title of most dropped passes.
A completely unproven staring left tackle
A right tackle that's older than dirt with bad knees, without a suitable back up because the heir apparent is starting at left tackle.
Two starting corners that have a grand total of 2 NFL games worth of experience.
Three of the six linebackers on the roster weren't even on the team last season and two of the there that were here are on the injury report.

And as I'm sure we've all seen a bad snap on a punt or a field goal attempt can turn the tide of a game.

So for me anyway, the team does have issues to be concerned about so losing a long snapper two days before the season starts, combined with any combination of those issues is very worrisome.
You, my friend, are overly concerned.

I feel no concern at all with your first two listed concerns. Those issues are in the past. Those coaches are no longer on the staff. I have seen substantial improvement in both areas.

That #2 WR will do his job just fine. He's coming from playing with the worst QB in the league as far as accuracy to the QB who is the career leader in accuracy and is working on one of the very best receiver coaches in the NFL.

Let's just wait to see what Fleener does this second year. At his worst he is still an above average NFL TE.

The starting LT was the highest rated LT in the draft and has the confidence of his coach and teammates. That's good enough for me.

The RT was one of the very top rated tackles in the league last year and has not shown any drop off in play. And since when has Strief got bad knees? He had an issue back in 2011 but since then any issues have dealt with his elbow, chest, ankle and neck. Nothing more serious than any other player.

And two starting corners that some around here feel may be the best two corners in Saints history. Nothing but excitement from me.

As for linebackers, the fastest LB on the squad from two years ago ran a 4.69 40 at the combines. This year ALL of the LB's on the roster run a faster 40 than that. Not to mention we now have one of the best LB coaches in recent NFL memory.

I really don't see the issues. I see opportunities.

Can't wait!

AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:56 PM   #33
500th Post
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baton Rouge, LA.
Posts: 682
Re: LS Jon Dorenbos Placed on NFI

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
You, my friend, are overly concerned.

I feel no concern at all with your first two listed concerns. Those issues are in the past. Those coaches are no longer on the staff. I have seen substantial improvement in both areas.

That #2 WR will do his job just fine. He's coming from playing with the worst QB in the league as far as accuracy to the QB who is the career leader in accuracy and is working on one of the very best receiver coaches in the NFL.

Let's just wait to see what Fleener does this second year. At his worst he is still an above average NFL TE.

The starting LT was the highest rated LT in the draft and has the confidence of his coach and teammates. That's good enough for me.

The RT was one of the very top rated tackles in the league last year and has not shown any drop off in play. And since when has Strief got bad knees? He had an issue back in 2011 but since then any issues have dealt with his elbow, chest, ankle and neck. Nothing more serious than any other player.

And two starting corners that some around here feel may be the best two corners in Saints history. Nothing but excitement from me.

As for linebackers, the fastest LB on the squad from two years ago ran a 4.69 40 at the combines. This year ALL of the LB's on the roster run a faster 40 than that. Not to mention we now have one of the best LB coaches in recent NFL memory.

I really don't see the issues. I see opportunities.

Can't wait!
He still can't catch. We have seen this first hand in preseason....but I hope he proves me wrong.
Rsanders24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:08 PM   #34
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 5,758
Re: LS Jon Dorenbos Placed on NFI

Originally Posted by Rsanders24 View Post
He still can't catch. We have seen this first hand in preseason....but I hope he proves me wrong.
People around here act like he's the worst in the league in dropped passes.

2016 - dropped passes

1 Crabtree, Michael OAK 9
2 Marshall, Brandon NYJ 8
3 Thomas, Demaryius DEN 7
3 Austin, Tavon LA 7
3 Ebron, Eric DET 7
3 Evans, Mike TB 7
3 Howard, Jordan CHI 7
8 Kendricks, Lance LA 6
8 Jones Jr., Marvin DET 6
8 Hilton, T.Y. IND 6
8 Kelce, Travis KC 6
8 Harris, Demetrius KC 6
8 Beckham Jr., Odell NYG 6
8 Matthews, Jordan PHI 6
8 Hurns, Allen JAX 6
16 Edelman, Julian NE 5
16 Asiata, Matt MIN 5
16 Celek, Garrett SF 5
16 Bell, Le'Veon PIT 5
16 Adams, Davante GB 5
16 Fiedorowicz, C.J. HOU 5
16 Roberts, Seth OAK 5
16 Perriman, Breshad BAL 5
16 Coates, Sammie PIT 5
16 Williams, Tyrell SD 5
16 Fuller V, Will HOU 5
16 Ginn Jr., Ted CAR 5

Twenty-six players had as many or more drops than Ted Ginn last season. If you look up and down that list there are quite a few big name players.
foreverfan, jeanpierre and Seer1 like this.

AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:49 PM   #35
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 3,043
Re: LS Jon Dorenbos Placed on NFI

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
You, my friend, are overly concerned.

I feel no concern at all with your first two listed concerns. Those issues are in the past. Those coaches are no longer on the staff. I have seen substantial improvement in both areas.

That #2 WR will do his job just fine. He's coming from playing with the worst QB in the league as far as accuracy to the QB who is the career leader in accuracy and is working on one of the very best receiver coaches in the NFL.

Let's just wait to see what Fleener does this second year. At his worst he is still an above average NFL TE.

The starting LT was the highest rated LT in the draft and has the confidence of his coach and teammates. That's good enough for me.

The RT was one of the very top rated tackles in the league last year and has not shown any drop off in play. And since when has Strief got bad knees? He had an issue back in 2011 but since then any issues have dealt with his elbow, chest, ankle and neck. Nothing more serious than any other player.

And two starting corners that some around here feel may be the best two corners in Saints history. Nothing but excitement from me.

As for linebackers, the fastest LB on the squad from two years ago ran a 4.69 40 at the combines. This year ALL of the LB's on the roster run a faster 40 than that. Not to mention we now have one of the best LB coaches in recent NFL memory.

I really don't see the issues. I see opportunities.

Can't wait!
And God bless you for keepin the faith. I respect that. That's what separates long time Saints fans from the fly by night dirty bird fans and the fair weather 'boys lovers.

But the question was asked what other issues this team has that could tank the season besides a long snapper and I listed a bunch of things that, realistically could go wrong.
foreverfan and jeanpierre like this.
Utah_Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:54 PM   #36
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Haven Ct
Posts: 23,260
Re: LS Jon Dorenbos Placed on NFI

God bless and get well. Will be here when you get back. Your health is more important.
QBREES9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:13 PM   #37
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Alexandria, La
Posts: 10,819
Re: LS Jon Dorenbos Placed on NFI

|Mitch| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #38
BS Since 2003!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 11,547
Blog Entries: 5
Re: LS Jon Dorenbos Placed on NFI

How hard is it to find a long snapper? It can't be that hard considering you have how many college teams that have one and you can look at over 10 years of players for 32 teams.

Not a huge concern. In my opinion.

Prayers for LS Jon Dorenbos.

foreverfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:22 AM   #39
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 16,890
Blog Entries: 28
Re: LS Jon Dorenbos Placed on NFI

It's not like he's got to learn a lot of plays or practice different routes or moves...

And Chase is basically getting paid to receive that snap and hold the ball, so...

So long as the snap is there and Lutz maintains his rhythm and get a high arc trajectory, the unit should be improved...
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:17 AM   #40
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 23,578
Blog Entries: 29
Re: LS Jon Dorenbos Placed on NFI


SmashMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/84163-ls-jon-dorenbos-placed-nfi.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 09-08-2017 10:45 AM 3
LS Jon Dorenbos Placed on NFI This thread Refback 09-08-2017 10:35 AM 2


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts