Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

What we learned from the Saints' close win vs. Chicago

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by Utah_Saint I disagree, that ****'s unacceptable. The Saints rank 30th in the league allowing 4.9 yards per carry. It's one thing when a guy gets beat, that's football. It's another when a guy just blows his responsibility. ...

Like Tree106Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2017, 11:26 PM   #31
Threaded by rezburna
1000 Posts +
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,147

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

Originally Posted by Utah_Saint View Post
I disagree, that ****'s unacceptable. The Saints rank 30th in the league allowing 4.9 yards per carry. It's one thing when a guy gets beat, that's football. It's another when a guy just blows his responsibility. This stuff is supposed to be worked out in preseason.

Dalvin Cooks had his best run of the season against the Saints
Amheer Abdullah had his best run of the season against the Saints
Johnathan Stewart had his best run of the season against the Saints
Brett Hundley had his best run of the season against the Saints
Aaron Jones had his best run of the season against the Saints
Jordan Howard had his best run of the season against the Saints
Mitch Trubisky had his best run of the season against the Saints

When it happens every three or four games, then it's "oh well, **** happens", when it happens all the time and 7 players in 7 games have had their best runs against us, it's a pattern.
Guys blow responsibility all the time. That too, is football. Like I said, they caught us selling out for the big play on both of those long runs. Other than that the run defense was relatively fine. This is a very young defense. There’s going to be bad to go along with the good. We shouldn’t even be having a conversation about what the defense needs to do. They gave up 12 points. The offense needs to get in the way end zone when they hit the red zone. I’m starting to like the idea of a Jimmy Graham trade more and more.
Views: 1826
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:51 PM   #32
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Toilet of Idaho
Posts: 3,581
Re: What we learned from the Saints' close win vs. Chicago

Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
"The Saints matched the Bears in the trenches"

This. This right here shows me our guys up front are real. We played classic football today and didn't get manhandled. We HAVE to learn to stop the run. I think adjustments can be made.
Also liked how they got Hill the ball. No graham but he's better than Fleener.
Hill is a killer blocker too. He's a big boy.
jnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:55 PM   #33
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 3,045
Re: What we learned from the Saints' close win vs. Chicago

Originally Posted by rezburna View Post
Guys blow responsibility all the time. That too, is football. Like I said, they caught us selling out for the big play on both of those long runs. Other than that the run defense was relatively fine. This is a very young defense. There’s going to be bad to go along with the good. We shouldn’t even be having a conversation about what the defense needs to do. They gave up 12 points. The offense needs to get in the way end zone when they hit the red zone. I’m starting to like the idea of a Jimmy Graham trade more and more.
Yeah, it's football, it's bad football. Giving up 5.1 yards/att is bad football.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happier than a fat boy with a fudge cycle with how the defense is playing overall, but giving up 4.9 yards per carry for the season sucks. And when it's mental errors or a lack of discipline, then it's just stupid. Like I pointed out earlier, it's not just this game. It's not a fluke, it's a tendency.

I'm with you on Graham. Not only as a red zone threat but we're not exploiting the mid field seam route like we used to. And we could use some serious help on third down. Wish I knew what was going on with Snead.
Rell&Gold likes this.
Utah_Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:09 AM   #34
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Monroe, La
Posts: 1,826
Re: What we learned from the Saints' close win vs. Chicago

Originally Posted by Utah_Saint View Post
I disagree, that ****'s unacceptable. The Saints rank 30th in the league allowing 4.9 yards per carry. It's one thing when a guy gets beat, that's football. It's another when a guy just blows his responsibility. This stuff is supposed to be worked out in preseason.

Dalvin Cooks had his best run of the season against the Saints
Amheer Abdullah had his best run of the season against the Saints
Johnathan Stewart had his best run of the season against the Saints
Brett Hundley had his best run of the season against the Saints
Aaron Jones had his best run of the season against the Saints
Jordan Howard had his best run of the season against the Saints
Mitch Trubisky had his best run of the season against the Saints

When it happens every three or four games, then it's "oh well, **** happens", when it happens all the time and 7 players in 7 games have had their best runs against us, it's a pattern.
We need a Mlb. manti teo just not producing enough when he is in there. I don't know if it has anything to do with less snap plays in game situations or his diagnosis of plays is slow. I did notice when they moved Robertson to mlb and dropped Vacarro into wlb they slowed down that rushing attack
K Major likes this.
nola_swammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:19 AM   #35
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 23,684
Blog Entries: 29
Re: What we learned from the Saints' close win vs. Chicago

Originally Posted by rezburna View Post
Guys blow responsibility all the time. That too, is football. Like I said, they caught us selling out for the big play on both of those long runs. Other than that the run defense was relatively fine. This is a very young defense. There’s going to be bad to go along with the good. We shouldn’t even be having a conversation about what the defense needs to do. They gave up 12 points. The offense needs to get in the way end zone when they hit the red zone. I’m starting to like the idea of a Jimmy Graham trade more and more.
Grambeaux disappeared in big games. And there was too much emphasis on getting him the ball, even forcing it in. Coleman is coming around.
SmashMouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:27 AM   #36
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 17,010
Blog Entries: 28
Re: What we learned from the Saints' close win vs. Chicago

Coleman had a nice reception up the sideline, that is, until he forgot how to run and lost his balance...
jnormand likes this.
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:49 AM   #37
LB Mentallity
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 15,625
Blog Entries: 67
Re: What we learned from the Saints' close win vs. Chicago

No one has stepped up in the middle. None of the DT requires dbl teaming

We need a gap plugging DT that is good against the run.

Our LBers are to easy to get to for opposing OL

Thus YPC is to high.
Barry from MS and jeanpierre like this.
hagan714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:54 AM   #38
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Watford England
Posts: 7,104
Blog Entries: 1
Re: What we learned from the Saints' close win vs. Chicago

Only seen little bits but looked likey they held the line ok baring a couple of broken big gains.

Agree though a true dominate run stuffing DT would be a great additions
lee909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:21 AM   #39
Site Donor 2017
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boynton Beach,FL
Posts: 1,445
Re: What we learned from the Saints' close win vs. Chicago

I liked Jimmy Graham but there was too much dependency on him. I would not like to see us return to that.
subguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #40
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Watford England
Posts: 7,104
Blog Entries: 1
Re: What we learned from the Saints' close win vs. Chicago

Originally Posted by subguy View Post
I liked Jimmy Graham but there was too much dependency on him. I would not like to see us return to that.
Not sure it would be like that anymore
Imo
A) Jimmy couldn't carry that load
B) Alvin Kamara
C)Michael Thomas
D) Alvin Kamara
E) Alvin Kamara

I do think another option like Hraham would have helped last night. The offense isn't fully firing in the passing game and another redzone threat would be good.

Id take Graham for a 7th or a Kikaha trade
lee909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/85047-what-we-learned-saints-close-win-vs-chicago.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
What we learned from the Saints' close win vs. Chicago This thread Refback 10-29-2017 04:30 PM 2


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2018 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts