New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com (http://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   Saints (http://blackandgold.com/saints/)
-   -   Another Darren Howard Rumor (http://blackandgold.com/saints/8650-another-darren-howard-rumor.html)

GumboBC 04-19-2005 05:55 PM

Another Darren Howard Rumor
 
This is taken off of another Saints' board. The guy who posted this supposedly works in some capacity for the Saints. I've read this guy's posts for the past 3 or so years and he seems to be credible. But: TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH. A RUMOR!!

PS --

JKool -- See, it can be made to work.

Quote:

Good afternoon guys,

I dont want to be one of these "I have a source but cant tell you" guys but I felt the people had a right to know whats going on.

I dont know if it is a smokescreen or what, but apparently New Orleans is saying they have a contigency plan should Darren Howard not be traded Saturday.

That plan will be to sign him to a 6-year $33 million with a $14 million bonus that is two-tiered into two 7 million payments with a base salary of 804k in year 1.

Darren gets paid the same, but his cap number gets lowered to about $1.9 million.

The second portion will be written up as a roster bonus that will be triggered in April of 2006 giving them trade flexibility next year.

Again, not sure if they are using this as a threat, or if this is indeed true. Nevertheless, I hope this eases some people's minds about the team being left under the bus should Darren not be dealt this weekend.
;)

Danno 04-19-2005 06:04 PM

Another Darren Howard Rumor
 
Quote:

This is taken off of another Saints\' board. The guy who posted this supposedly works in some capacity for the Saints. I\'ve read this guy\'s posts for the past 3 or so years and he seems to be credible. But: TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT\'S WORTH. A RUMOR!!

PS --

JKool -- See, it can be made to work.

Quote:

Good afternoon guys,

I dont want to be one of these \"I have a source but cant tell you\" guys but I felt the people had a right to know whats going on.

I dont know if it is a smokescreen or what, but apparently New Orleans is saying they have a contigency plan should Darren Howard not be traded Saturday.

That plan will be to sign him to a 6-year $33 million with a $14 million bonus that is two-tiered into two 7 million payments with a base salary of 804k in year 1.

Darren gets paid the same, but his cap number gets lowered to about $1.9 million.

The second portion will be written up as a roster bonus that will be triggered in April of 2006 giving them trade flexibility next year.

Again, not sure if they are using this as a threat, or if this is indeed true. Nevertheless, I hope this eases some people\'s minds about the team being left under the bus should Darren not be dealt this weekend.
;)
Thats DeeGeezy, and you are correct. He is reliable and honest, and just recently took a position on an NFL staff. I didn\'t think it was the Saints though, but I could be wrong.

GumboBC 04-19-2005 06:10 PM

Another Darren Howard Rumor
 
Quote:

Thats DeeGeezy, and you are correct. He is reliable and honest, and just recently took a position on an NFL staff. I didn\'t think it was the Saints though, but I could be wrong
You are correct, Danno. I think I remember DeeGeezy saying he took a job with the Saints. But, I\'m not positive about that.

But, it seems like a good plan if Howard is not traded?!

SaintSnide 04-19-2005 07:03 PM

Another Darren Howard Rumor
 
Lower the cap hit and keep Howard, I will take it.
Sure I guess it could slow the progress of W.Smith some, but he will provide excellent leadership we all know this team needs.
They may be able to talk him to adding 10lbs and play inside more, although i know Howard didnt really like it last year.
Then we can trade him next year.

JKool 04-19-2005 08:46 PM

Another Darren Howard Rumor
 
Billy, I said it could be done if Howard agreed to a long term contract that didn\'t affect our cap at the rate it would as is - I don\'t remember saying otherwise. My arguments were all based on paying him the tender amount (7.8 mil).

Also if I remember correctly, and it is plausible that I do not, since we didn\'t sign him before the last deadline, if he agrees to a long term contract now, we cannot use our franchise designation for the life of his new contract. Which means, if he signs a 6 year deal, we will not be able to franchise anyone for that period of time.

Either way, at less than 1 mil in his first year, and 14 mil signing bonus over the next 6 years, his cap number will come down quite a bit for this year. That sounds just fine to me. However, this means that his salary must be pretty darned high after this year (32 mil over 5 years). 6 mil a year for a guy who is going to be in a rotation still sounds pretty ridiculous to me - especially when we need mucho help at 2 linebacker positions and one DT positions.

Danno 04-19-2005 08:50 PM

Another Darren Howard Rumor
 
I also read that the \"disgruntled Howard\" is total BS. He\'s fired up and ready to go, participating in all the offseason programs with enthusiasm.

I think they got the whole \"disgruntled\" thing from one statement about he\'d rather play DE full-time than move inside to DT because he doesn\'t think he\'s big enough to succeed in there for an extended period.

He\'s a class act and if we get his cap hit down to 1.9 I say keep him and LOFAO at everyone who passed on trading for him.

WhoDat 04-19-2005 10:06 PM

Another Darren Howard Rumor
 
Damn right. The \"huge\" cap numbers were supposed to be Horn and Howard. If we can sign both for less that $4 million in cap room???? Why the F would you get rid of either?

Danno 04-19-2005 10:25 PM

Another Darren Howard Rumor
 
I\'m sure Vick, Griese, and Delhomme were hoping we\'d trade Howard. ;)

I figure they probably aren\'t real happy about Horn staying either.

jnormand 04-19-2005 11:05 PM

Another Darren Howard Rumor
 
I agree guys. I don\'t have a problem with keeping Howard. The guy is awesome. If the cap hit is as small as 1.9 mil, keep the SOB and get to the quarterback! We\'d have a killer trio!

natedogg02 04-20-2005 01:20 AM

Another Darren Howard Rumor
 
Heck no, that dont sound bad. This is what makes SB teams. Players and FO reworkin contracts to keep everyne together.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com