Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Saints could have deepest defensive line they've had in years if everything pans out

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; "You wouldn't know a good pass rush if you saw one" Jim Mora to the EGGSPURTS...

Like Tree30Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2018, 02:54 PM   #31
Threaded by vpheughan
1000 Posts +
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,658

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

"You wouldn't know a good pass rush if you saw one" Jim Mora to the EGGSPURTS
Views: 1963
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #32
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 23,210
Blog Entries: 32
Re: Saints could have deepest defensive line they've had in years if everything pans out

Originally Posted by Utah_Saint View Post
Ouch? PFF graded him at 80.7. As a frame of reference PFF ranked Dontari Poe in their top 20 free agents this year and he graded 81.5. Just my opinion but that sounds a lot better than "struggling".

They also graded him as an above average DT. Sheldon Richardson also got graded as an above average DT. Maybe it's just me but that doesn't sound like a lump of coal.
PFF Grades for Saints Interior Defenders

81.0 DT Tyeler Davison, 5th round pick, 26 Tkl, 10 Ast, 0 Sks, 3 TFL, 1 FF

80.9 DT David Onyemata, 4th round pick, 24 Tkl, 8 Ast, 3 Sks, 3 TFL, 0 FF

80.7 DT Sheldon Rankins, 1st round pick, 19 Tkl, 9 Ast, 2 Sks, 3 TFL, 1 FF
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #33
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 11,057
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Saints could have deepest defensive line they've had in years if everything pans out

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
PFF Grades for Saints Interior Defenders

81.0 DT Tyeler Davison, 5th round pick, 26 Tkl, 10 Ast, 0 Sks, 3 TFL, 1 FF

80.9 DT David Onyemata, 4th round pick, 24 Tkl, 8 Ast, 3 Sks, 3 TFL, 0 FF

80.7 DT Sheldon Rankins, 1st round pick, 19 Tkl, 9 Ast, 2 Sks, 3 TFL, 1 FF
Over the last few seasons, I've taken PFF grades with a grain of salt. If a player lets a guy go by him instead of blocking him, but was supposed to, then PFF is wrong to downgrade him for doing his job. That's the problem with grading without knowing what he's supposed to be doing. Analytics work well in baseball because it's one slugger vs the defense. IMO it doesn't translate as well in football.

Is PFF credible in football? ... maybe. Gospel? Certainly not.

Just my .02.
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #34
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 23,210
Blog Entries: 32
Re: Saints could have deepest defensive line they've had in years if everything pans out

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
Over the last few seasons, I've taken PFF grades with a grain of salt. If a player lets a guy go by him instead of blocking him, but was supposed to, then PFF is wrong to downgrade him for doing his job. That's the problem with grading without knowing what he's supposed to be doing. Analytics work well in baseball because it's one slugger vs the defense. IMO it doesn't translate as well in football.

Is PFF credible in football? ... maybe. Gospel? Certainly not.

Just my .02.
Fair enough - And I'd agree that PFF isn't an absolute as they often don't account for other important considerations like quality of opponent.

But it's still a fair mean in assessment; so let's look at the NFL statistical production...

NFL Statistics for Saints Interior Defenders

81.0 DT Tyeler Davison, 5th round pick, 26 Tkl, 10 Ast, 0 Sks, 3 TFL, 1 FF

80.9 DT David Onyemata, 4th round pick, 24 Tkl, 8 Ast, 3 Sks, 3 TFL, 0 FF

80.7 DT Sheldon Rankins, 1st round pick, 19 Tkl, 9 Ast, 2 Sks, 3 TFL, 1 FF

My point is not to antagonize or win an argument for the sake of winning an argument, but to illustrate and highlight this -

We're simply not getting what we need from a first round pick, high first round pick...

“Your best?!? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home (with) the prom queen.” - Sean Connery in The Rock

Last edited by jeanpierre; 06-29-2018 at 10:00 PM..
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:26 PM   #35
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 17,077
Re: Saints could have deepest defensive line they've had in years if everything pans out

I'm secretly very excited about Jay Bromley. He looks like another under the radar signing that may have an impact.

Man....we miss Fairley. Rankins and Fairley had such great potential to do great things. Especially with our current secondary in place and an improved LB'er core.
Rugby Saint II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:06 PM   #36
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 23,210
Blog Entries: 32
Re: Saints could have deepest defensive line they've had in years if everything pans out

Originally Posted by Rugby Saint II View Post
I'm secretly very excited about Jay Bromley. He looks like another under the radar signing that may have an impact.

Man....we miss Fairley. Rankins and Fairley had such great potential to do great things. Especially with our current secondary in place and an improved LB'er core.
I'm curious as well, but Davison had a better year than Bromley; but does a change-of-scenery boost Bromley's play or is he a great rotation player with Davison?

Either way, we win. I'm also curious about Woodrow Hamilton, who looks bigger, could do; am still curious that Johnathan Hankins remains un-signed as well...
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #37
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 23,210
Blog Entries: 32
Re: Saints could have deepest defensive line they've had in years if everything pans out

jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #38
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 11,057
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Saints could have deepest defensive line they've had in years if everything pans out

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
Either way, we win. I'm also curious about Woodrow Hamilton, who looks bigger, could do; am still curious that Johnathan Hankins remains un-signed as well...[/B]
Possibly his asking price. I don't see a whole lot of teams that will be willing to cough over 8, 9M per season + he's hasn't been the most healthy guy either.
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:41 PM   #39
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 23,210
Blog Entries: 32
Re: Saints could have deepest defensive line they've had in years if everything pans out

jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #40
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 23,210
Blog Entries: 32
Re: Saints could have deepest defensive line they've had in years if everything pans out

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
Possibly his asking price. I don't see a whole lot of teams that will be willing to cough over 8, 9M per season + he's hasn't been the most healthy guy either.
Payton would've spent Benson's money in a second, it's either some off-the-field or locker-room-attitude BS or something they don't like about his skill set...
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/88986-saints-could-have-deepest-defensive-line-theyve-had-years-if-everything-pans.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest Woodrow Hamilton News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 06-05-2018 07:59 PM 1
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 05-27-2018 08:11 PM 12
Saints could have deepest defensive line they've had in years if everything pans out This thread Refback 05-27-2018 08:07 PM 1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2018 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts