Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Bengals lawsuit may help New Orleans

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by WhoDat Originally Posted by Euphoria I don't have a problem with him imbelishing certain facts/truths ect. I mean its done everyday, even by the 'government'. Its buisness. I can't blame a buiness person for trying to make ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2005, 10:58 AM   #21
Merces Letifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,392
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bengals lawsuit may help New Orleans

Originally Posted by WhoDat
Originally Posted by Euphoria
I don't have a problem with him imbelishing certain facts/truths ect. I mean its done everyday, even by the 'government'. Its buisness. I can't blame a buiness person for trying to make a buck and if you can get someone to hand you money for nothing really then more power to you.
There's a difference b/w "spin" and misrepresenting facts. Saying you're amongst the bottom of the league in profitability, and that you cannot keep up with other teams, when in fact you're in the top 10 in the league in Operating Income is not spin. It's a misrepresentation. The U.C.C. even accounts for the difference b/w "puffing" (or salesmenship) and misrepresenting facts.

Originally Posted by Tobias-Reiper
Believe me, I don't want the Saints to leave N.O., but the reality is that even if the State agrees to whatever demands Benson has now, that is in no way any form of guarantee that the team will stay in N.O. for decades to come... it is just a stop-gap measure until the next meeting of the NFL's financial committee when the rest of the owners tell Benson he's not contributing his fair share to the revenue sharing plan...
I disagree, in part, TR. While I agree that the Saints will one day leave, it won't be in the next 3-4 years. The Saints are in a small market, but they are similarly situated with about 10 other teams, and they are very profitable - more profitable than NE (Boston) and both NY teams on a regular basis. The Bears made 1/3 of what the Saints made in 2003, so I guess that goes to show that being in an 8 million person market doesn't guarantee success.

The plan that the State offered the Saints was for 20 years and did not have an out clause for either party. I think that the State and Saints will agree within the next few years b/c L.A. is not a realistic option for Benson. That will keep the team in New Orleans for the next two decades. After that, who knows?

Originally Posted by Tobias-Reiper
you are telling me the Saints are profitable... so why exactly are they demanding 15,000,000 dlls cash a year from the State???? Isn't Benson's argument that the team is not profitable and therefore demands he's given by the State what he calls "guaranteed profits" or else he'd leave?????
Yes. As I illustrated above, the Saints are very profitable. 6th in Operating Income according to Forbes in 2002. 8th in 2003. Benson is demanding money b/c the State will give it to him, or that's been the case in the past. His saying that the team is not profitable goes to my statements about a potential lawsuit if the Ohio ruling stands. I think Benson is lying when he claims that the team can't keep up with other teams. He could be in real trouble if this Ohio suit goes agaisnt the NFL.

But ask yourself one question - would the NFL, the only truly profitable professional league, an organization that makes Billions of dollars a year - allow a guy who couldn't make his team profitable to CHAIR THEIR FINANCE COMMITTEE??

... so basically Benson just wants more.. the old ask and you shall receive...

.... if you are correct in your assessment, then we have nothing to worry about...

... I still think that the lure of the billions of dollars in TV money that adding the L.A. market wou;lld mean is cause for concern, though...
Tobias-Reiper is offline  
Latest Blogs
REFUND Last Blog: 12-07-2014 By: xan




Saints: A glimpse of the future Last Blog: 11-19-2014 By: lee909


Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts