A few predictions before kick off 2003 .
1 . Wally Williams - either traded to Washington for a corner this year . Or traded to another team . If not released before kick off 2003 .
2. Turley - resigned to long rather large contract , Fontenot released or retires shortly afterwards .
3. Aaron Brooks - continues to seek top contract , without putting up the ranking . Brooks is allowed to become free agent and signs elsewhere . Saints make a token contractual attempt .
4. Jake Delhomme - Named starter . Improved performance and better stats and local favorite , makes it easier for fans to digest .
5. A huge defensive front causes quite a disturbance for opposing offenses , leading to another name for the defense and overeating by other defensive linemen around the league . A layout by Sports Illustrated implys , fat men are sexy . Richard Simmons finally commits suicide .
6. Dale Carter finally pulls it together realizing he is not getting any younger .
7. After Chris Berman does a few " he could go all the ways " , Duece is accepted as a starting runningback , Drawing comparisons to Marshal Faulk and Robert Smith .
8. Ricky Williams is forgotten , except draft day when the Saints use the Dolphins pick to draft a Cornerback .
9. Duece mania pays dividends , bringing in a new fan base from Mississippi . This puts Benson's wheels in motion , Benson orders Loomis to start doing everything humanly possible to ensure Eli Manning is wearing Black and Gold .
10. Loomis gets contract extension . He has to , he has to get Eli in 2004 .
Well I agree with most of them and disagree with others. Here\'s my take:
>1 . Wally Williams - either traded to Washington for a corner this year . Or traded to >another team . If not released before kick off 2003 .
I agree that Wally will be gone.
>2. Turley - resigned to long rather large contract , Fontenot released or retires shortly >afterwards .
I agree that Turley will be resigned long-term. I think Fontenot will retire next season.
>3. Aaron Brooks - continues to seek top contract , without putting up the ranking . >Brooks is allowed to become free agent and signs elsewhere . Saints make a token >contractual attempt .
I disagree. Brooks will light it up this year prompting the Saints to sign him long-term. Saints will not let him go.
>4. Jake Delhomme - Named starter . Improved performance and better stats and local >favorite , makes it easier for fans to digest .
I disagree. Delhomme will remain a backup here unless Brooks gets injured. He may get traded to another team where he will become a starter or may be lost to free agency down the line.
>5. A huge defensive front causes quite a disturbance for opposing offenses , leading to >another name for the defense and overeating by other defensive linemen around the >league . A layout by Sports Illustrated implys , fat men are sexy . Richard Simmons >finally commits suicide .
I agree. HUGE defensive lines will become the trend. Dallas will wonder how they got left out of the loop.
>6. Dale Carter finally pulls it together realizing he is not getting any younger .
I disagree. I think Carter has been given too many chances as it is. Craver will make him expendable. This will come out looking like another \"Connell\" bust.
>7. After Chris Berman does a few \" he could go all the ways \" , Duece is accepted as a >starting runningback , Drawing comparisons to Marshal Faulk and Robert Smith .
I agree. Once everyone gets over the Ricky comparisons, they will realize that Deuce is the man.
>8. Ricky Williams is forgotten , except draft day when the Saints use the Dolphins pick >to draft a Cornerback .
I agree. Will be surprised if he stays healthy in Miami.
>9. Duece mania pays dividends , bringing in a new fan base from Mississippi . This puts >Benson\'s wheels in motion , Benson orders Loomis to start doing everything humanly >possible to ensure Eli Manning is wearing Black and Gold .
I disagree. Eli will never become a Saint. Saints have too much talent to finish a season 1-15 or 2-14 which is what it will take to land Eli.
>10. Loomis gets contract extension . He has to , he has to get Eli in 2004 .
I agree with the contract extension. He\'s made no real blunders yet (except for losing Brooks in the shuffle) and Benson will probably like his asking price. Eli\'s still not coming.
Alright , if you are delusional enough to go for Brooks setting the world on fire . Then I get to be delusional enough to believe we can draft Eli Manning as quarterback . History is on my side on this issue , Brooks recent history does not show he will be a superstar this year . History proves the Saints were once to talented to draft Ricky Williams , but they did .
Ricky may have a better track record with injuries now that he is not being bounced around on concrete all season long . Thats 6 games a year for sure without concrete .
Carter sitting at home watching Jerry Springer til game 7 may have an impact on him . I know not being paid probably is .
[Edited on 13/8/2002 by saintz08]
Somehow I knew you would just have to respond.
I do find it somewhat humorous though how you take it so personal if someone doesn\'t agree with you - it makes things entertaining.
In the meantime here are a few things to try:
1. See someone else\'s point of view.
2. Accept it as their opinion, whether you agree with it or not.
3. Argue it with reason (this means leaving out the insults) and then leave it at that.
My humble apologies if any part of the post is taken as an insult .
I do see other views , and do accept them as their opinions .
The cruel facts are , that we are fans of what 1 man owns . Which can theoretically be broken down into a game of chess in which the players suffer injuries , not always subject to the proper chess moves . We as fans develop attachments to players and the team as a whole , which we have no control over .We are drawn to places like this to discuss and debate things we have no control over , have no say in , cannot control the outcome of , those that participate or to what level they play . Yet we draw conclusions on how they will do , who will do it better and how to do it best . And when that does not bring the desired result , we find someone to blame and start the whole thing over again . To those who do not like sports in general , this might seem rather delusional .
This theory does not include the fans , that for one short moment in time believe that the destiny of 80 plus men resides solely on , the garment they are wearing or the food they are stuffing in their mouths .
Have you ever watched a bebate for any length of time that was not spirited ??
It\'s not that I would not accept your opinion and your view as yours , it\'s maybe I am trying to help you see the light ... ;)
[Edited on 13/8/2002 by saintz08]
Well actually delusional is thinking that the Saints will be able to draft Eli. You say that history is on your side in regarding this debate to which I emphatically disagree.
My side says that Brooks will have an incredible year thus prompting the Saints to sign him long term. To back up this argument I offer this:
1. He has more weapons than any QB in Saints history at his disposal to accomplish this feat this year - including a healthy tight end that will produce.
2. He has another year\'s experieince under his belt.
3. The Saints schedule is easier.
4. In just a year and a half Brooks has put up numbers that rival Marino and Warner in their first few years.
5. He\'s broken several Saints records (including Archie\'s) in just a year and a half.
Bottom line is that Brooks will only get better.
Now your debate is that your \"dream\", if you will, of bringing Eli in is more attainable than mine of Brooks having a good year. For that to happen the following has to happen:
1. The Saints have to wind up in the bottom 3 teams in the league (History is on your side here but sorry I would be extremely surprised if this happens)
2. Eli would have to come out a year early (Based on the history of his father and brother then this is not likely althought Eli is his own man).
3. Miami has to wind up in the bottom 3 teams (History will dispute that this will happen). Not to mention most critics are heralding Miami as this year\'s AFC Superbowl representative (I don\'t agree but that\'s why they are the critics).
4. Benson would have to trade the farm to get the #1, #2, or #3 pick (only #1 would guarantee Eli AND he has to come out early). By trading the farm, the Saints would take a HUGE step backwards in what they have built thus far.
5. You say that Benson could \"convince\" Loomis to do what is necessary to land Eli. This means that Haslett would have to take dives (Which he would never do). If Benson couldn\'t convince an interim coach by the name of Venturi to take a dive in one game, in a season that was already a wash, in order to land Peyton, how is he going to convince a coach like Haslett to do so in several games in his first year of a new contract?
Sorry but if your argument is \"history\" then you are misinformed. Jeesh, and you call me delusional. But thanks anyway for trying to \"show me the light.\" If your view is \"the light\", I\'ll take the little lady\'s advice from Poletergiest and stay away from it.
I do actually consider myself delusional at times when posting , it make for more interesting scenario\'s . Of course it was this delusional thinking that prompted me to post years ago I thought Ricky Williams , would be the first back the Texans would have .I read all the good thoughts of my post taking particular note , to those who said never , never would he be traded , never would he leave New Orleans . Well I have to admit I missed on one key element , the Dolphins wanted him real bad .
I certainly hope Brooks has a good year , and gets the much needed experience . It\'s the price tag that he has in his mind that makes me doubt he will be wearing black and gold next year .
Breaking previous quarterback stats is a grey area , Jim Everett pulled that one off . Racking up lots of passing yards late in a game , when you are coming from behind and are running the 2 minute drill , is a questionable stat in general . It\'s ability combined with leadership and judgement that usually draws the high price tag . Dan Fouts put on some great aerial shows , never won a Super Bowl , even made the Hall of Fame . Lots of players have potential , the draft boards are littered with them , few players have the ability to get the job done .
Sorry , but you have this post confused with another post where I call for Eli to go to the Saints . This post has us waiting till he comes out in the draft , and has Loomis putting us into position to do it .This could be done in a variety of ways , that do not include the Saints throwing games .Pick trading , player trading and general manuevering through the draft in 2003 could put us in position for a block buster in 2004 . The Saints might have an extra first round in 2003 , it could be swapped for a 1st round in 2004 .
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 AM.|
Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com