Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Assistant coach Mills diagnosed with cancer

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CAR/6602471 Assistant coach Mills diagnosed with cancer NFL.com wire reports CHARLOTTE, N.C. (Aug. 29, 2003) -- Carolina Panthers assistant Sam Mills was diagnosed with cancer of the small intestine, hours before he coached the Panthers' linebackers in their preseason finale. ...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2003, 08:10 PM   #1
Banned

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CAR/6602471

NFL.com wire reports

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (Aug. 29, 2003) -- Carolina Panthers assistant Sam Mills was diagnosed with cancer of the small intestine, hours before he coached the Panthers' linebackers in their preseason finale.

Just two weeks ago, Carolina linebacker Mark Fields was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease.

"Anytime someone in your family gets ill, it's a blow," general manager Marty Hurney said. "When it's Sam Mills, someone who means so much to this organization and this community, it's a huge blow."

Mills, a five-time Pro Bowl selection, spent the final three seasons of his 12-year NFL career with the Panthers beginning with their inaugural season in 1995.

There is a statue of him outside Ericsson Stadium and he is the only player in their Hall of Honor. Mike McCormack, Carolina's first team president, is the only other inductee in the Hall.

Mills, 44, spent his first nine years with the New Orleans Saints. He finished his career with 1,319 tackles while starting 173 of 181 games and is also in the Saints Hall of Fame.

He joined the Panthers' coaching staff upon his retirement.

Hurney said Mills had an upset stomach for several days before seeing a doctor. A series of tests detected the cancer, but Mills resumed his spot in the coaches' box in time for Carolina's preseason game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

His course of treatment has not yet been determined, the team said.

"I'm sure he is going to attack this with the same fire he attacks everything with," Hurney said.

Earlier this month, Fields, Carolina's leading tackler last season, was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease. He'll miss the entire season.

[Edited on 30/8/2003 by BillyCarpenter1]
Old 08-29-2003, 08:13 PM   #2
1000 Posts +

Man, I hate to hear that.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:44 PM   #3
500th Post

Damn, intestinal cancer is a rough one, good luck to Sam and his family.

[Edited on 8/30/2003 by saint5221]
Old 08-30-2003, 02:29 AM   #4
100th Post

It kills me seeing him so entrenched in the panthers. Damn it he is our hero and he is too good a person not to be with the saints. I hope he has a speedy recovery!
Old 08-30-2003, 03:38 AM   #5
500th Post

Good Luck #51
My prayers are with you.
Closed Thread